Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does your Protein powder taste like it has a medicinal taste? I use powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury which I find very pleasant tasting. Another benefit is that it has 100% Protein isolate, which is the protein most absorbable. Another brand that is all isolate and a good taste are Syntrax nectar. I haven't tasted GENEPRO but heard it is tasty also.

Leila if you have a little time, I do a lot of taste test videos on my blog I taste quite a lot of Protein drinks and mixes, I am adding a few more today. They are flash based so they may not run open an I-pad or i-phone but I can always post them to youtube so every one can watch them there. if you want to check them out , they are at http://cuttingthefatwithaknife.blogspot.com

thank you.

there are a lot of flavors you can try that might meet your needs. just be careful not to use Protein powders made for weight lifters these are weight gainers not for weight loss.

keep your spirit up!

You know that saying, you gotta kiss a lot of frogs until you find your Prince Charming?

That's what the search for the right Protein drink is. My doctor gave me a list that was a full page front and back of Protein shakes, drinks and powders. It took forever going through that list. I had to rule out stuff I didn't like and stuff I was allergic to. You'd be surprised how many have stevia in them. I went to various drug stores like GNC & Vitamin shop as well as the Rite Aid/CVS types and bought single servings. Next I hit up Whole Foods and bought a few single serving packs there as well. Finally I ordered a few online. It took me 2 weeks to go through them all to find a few that I like the taste of.

I ended up with 3:

• Prosource Plus liquid Protein unflavored. - This was good for mixing in Soups or tea. Ordered online.
  • Orgain Organics premixed drinks - This was great for on the go. Price point was relatively low. I buy these at Walgreen's drug store.
  • CVS whey powder. - I mix these with almond milk. I like the high Protein content. Also mixes well with plain greek yogurt for a really great 1-2 punch of protein. Comes in vanilla or chocolate flavors. I buy it at CVS drug store.

Other options are plain, greek yogurt thinned with low fat or fat free milk. This is an acquired taste. Plain yogurt is not sweet at all. However mixed with a bit of fruit or whey powder can be pretty tasty.

Kefir drinks. They come in many flavors. I prefer Lifeway brand.

Edited by BLERDgirl

i love premier Protein shakes. They are premade so very convenient. 30g of Protein for only 160 calories. Love the chocolate one. You can buy them at Walmart but costco has 18 for $24 so its a better buy. I hated every unjury and all of the Syntrax nectar were way too sweet for me.

just be sure whatever you chose to avoid all the sugar filled ones I can from above there are several mentioned here that are way to high in carbs and sugars. You will not affect good weight loss if your intake of sugar is still continuing.

Good Prince Charming analogy!!! I kissed a lot of frogs including many that people on here love. My favorites are Syntrax Matrix and BSN Syntha 6.

just be sure whatever you chose to avoid all the sugar filled ones I can from above there are several mentioned here that are way to high in carbs and sugars. You will not affect good weight loss if your intake of sugar is still continuing.

What guidelines did your doctor give you? My doctor said to focus on getting at least 15gm of Protein, no more than 15gm of sugar per 8 ounce serving keeping in mind that most premade drinks might be more than 8 ounces. I was told not to worry too much about fat & carbs because you simply aren't taken in enough for it to have much impact.

I as given the Prosource in the hospital which made me feel good about taking that. I also liked that it was flavorless and mixed well with hot or cold.

Thank you so much for the information my doctor told me not to drink sugar and he also I wasn't taking any Protein in the hospital.I'm going to research all of these protien Nd try to get some protein

Jess are you sure about the Syntrax matrix I mean at your stage this could be totally way off base, congratulations by the way you have done wonderfully! As is said I do a lot of taste testing and the people that make the Syntrax products , Si03 is the name of the company, they sent me tons of syntrax Nectars to try I had asked for matrix but they said in an email " Syntrax Matrix Products are not Weight Loss supplements, they are Meal Replacements, and as such do not meet Bariatric guidelines for post surgical usage." Now you are well past normal post surgery so It probably doesn't apply to you.

Blerdgirl- first, every surgeon is different evidently. I know in the hospital and for the first 2 days after surgery I am not to have anything besides Water or Clear liquids. No Protein or anything until day 3. My surgeon even went so far as to tell me the nurses in the hospital may offer me Protein drinks, but do not take them. Now again that's just me, but It seems that a lot of people on here do not take Protein on the first few days. I know you asked about sugar and carbs the issue I have is if a mix has say 10 carbs per use that could put you at s high as 40 carbs for the day, which is a lot for a bariatric surgery patient. Sugar and carbs derail weight loss faster than a drive through window. Also sugars and carbs are a huge contributing factor to dumping as well. Basically I can tell you 3 things my team ( surgeon and nutritionist) are adamant about. 1. Always protein first then carbs or sugar if you absolutely have to. 2. Weight loss supplement protein mixes and drinks are different pro Meal Replacement shakes or powders. ( more on this, 90% of protein powders are marketed to weight GAIN, They are designed to add bulk to people doing bodybuilding and heavy heavy weight training. Which is something a bariatric patient most certainly does not want. Many protein powders etc will say on the back in small print..This is not a weight loss product". 3. stick to whey Isolate protein only, hemp, soy, and other Proteins are not readily absorbable in a sleeve patient, they take too long to be absorbed and by the time they would be they have already past the point of digestion, they can also make traveling through your intestines and lower GI tract , rougher than you would like. You may want to post a question to the forums in general, and ask " how much sugar and carbs should I have? I think you would get a lot of good answers. Just as a caveat, I take in less sugar and carbs in my pre op diet than whats in those shakes.< /p>

@@Stevehud - I understand all that you are saying, but I assure you everything I did is per my doctor's protocal. I did not have a pre-op diet as part of my program. I also know the difference between a weight loss supplement and a Meal Replacement. As I mentioned those shakes were but a small part of my Protein intake. My surgeon is the chief of the bariatric program at my hospital, which is a world reknown hospital. It is one of the reason why I choose him. I am a vegetarian with multiple food and medicine allergies. The popular Protein drinks would never work for me because they almost all uniformly contained allergy triggers. I made it through surgery with absolutely no problems, no gas, no pain, no nausea, nothing. I walked in recovery and have been losing steadily. Why would I question my doctor's advice?

@leila0812 - Talk to you doctor or nutritionist. My program gives it patients a handbook detailing the program from the pre-op to post-op process. The nutrition class also goes into greater detail. I was given sample menus, list of Vitamins and supplements to try, the whole nine. It's very detailed and comprehensive. One thing I will say, is every surgeon is a bit different in their protocols. It's nice to get opinions and thoughts here, but also touch base with your surgical team.

Edited by BLERDgirl

The whole foods near me sold multiple Protein powders in sample sizes. I bought all of them pre op and tried and found one I loved. Tera's Whey blueberry flavored

Jess are you sure about the Syntrax matrix I mean at your stage this could be totally way off base, congratulations by the way you have done wonderfully! As is said I do a lot of taste testing and the people that make the Syntrax products , Si03 is the name of the company, they sent me tons of syntrax Nectars to try I had asked for matrix but they said in an email " Syntrax Matrix Products are not Weight Loss supplements, they are Meal Replacements, and as such do not meet Bariatric guidelines for post surgical usage." Now you are well past normal post surgery so It probably doesn't apply to you.

I've been using them since a few weeks out, yes. And they meet my doctors guidelines. They are 110-140 cal per scoop 3-6g carbs (3 sugar) and 23g Protein. The reason they say they are designed for body builders and not weight loss is because they have a matrix of Protein types. They have whey isolate but they also have whey concentrate and casein. This means the protein isn't as quickly absorbed but that also means you stay fuller longer.

My team is fully supportive of this as a choice. It meets all the needs of their program. As you say different doctors have different recommendations, so follow what yours says not mine, but I have been very successful using matrix from the beginning and I continue to use it at a year out. All my labs are perfect, I've lost 130lbs (BMI 22, size 4) and run half marathons and done triathlons. I do yoga three times a week too! Get my full body scan this week so I will see what my body fat percentage is officially after a year, but I know it's is a good range. So it's worked well for me!

Nashua Nutrition online sells sample packets of EVERYTHING!