Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thinking about the sleeve, Advice?

@@Sleeve101, you can also try a slice of cheese wrapped in a slice of cold cut meat, cook a little hamburger or turkey burger add a little gravy. I can't do Protein shakes, so I went straight to solid foods shortly after surgery, just chewed things really well, took small bites ate small amounts. I loved clam chowder and broccoli/cheddar Soup, so I ate that a week after surgery with no problem, any Soups really I had no problem with, just chew anything in them really well.

Sleeve 101 - I have been brainstorming with one of my colleagues at work and we are going to figure this out. I am going to try some Bear potato Soup mix and egg salad. I don't want to eat a lot of carbohydrates because i will gain weight. I too am glad that i found this site. Just knowing that you can share your experience with others is comforting. I can't eat meat right now, i can't get it to go down. We have to stay focused on our goals and try not to eat things that are bad for us. I would hate to think i have done all of the suffering that i have done just to fail. We are going to get through this, and we will be better people for it. I have had my share of dating, what i am doing now is for me. I have two beautiful adult children who really want me to succeed. They are both very lean and fit, i didn't let them get out of control when they were growing up. I didn't want them to suffer my fate.

Hi smile 121????

I'm new on this journey too and share some of your same struggles in regards to food. I have to jump through a lot of hoops. Probably won't be having surgery until summer but I'm excited just thinking about what's to come. Keep us posted on journey and best wishes to you!!!

I think it is great that you are thinking about these things now. I'm 14 months post op, and I documented my journey in my blog which is linked in my signature from the first doctor's appointment until now. Feel free to check it out for more specfics. ....

But.... to answer your questions.

1. Insurance required me to do 6 months of monitored weight loss visits with my surgeon (ended up being 9 months until it was all said and done), a nutrition class, a psych eval (which in my opinion is a joke and doesn't evaluate anything), and a bmi over 40.

2. Emotional eating- I will be honest, dealing with the emotional side of things was way harder for me than any of the physical part of it. The fact that you are starting now to think about these things I think speaks a lot to your capacity for success. I would HIGHLY recommend that you read the book When food is Love before having surgery so that you can really start to work through some of the issues behind your eating before hand. I SO wish I would have done that. I actually go to therapy weekly with an eating disorder therapist to try and work through all of the emotional eating stuff.

Good luck to you on your journey and with your decision making!

Thank you all again! I have met with my surgeon, and had my first nutrition appt. I went to my first support group as well. It was so interesting!

I do feel like the sleeve is the best choice for me, and although i am really scared about giving up food, I know that it is necessary to move on with my life. I am more afraid of what will happen to me if i don't have the surgery than if i do. And that is how i came to my answer.

Thank you all for the support, I love this site!

@@Edavidson at five weeks out I was still on purees. I ate a lot of Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, refried Beans, poached eggs, and Protein shakes! I would also puree meat with a flavorful sauce, then heat it up in the microwave with a little cheese on top. It was like a little casserole - delicious! For example, I would puree roast chicken breast with low carb BBQ Sauce, then melt some cheddar cheese on top. Have you tried anything along these lines? Or maybe Eggface's Ricotta Bake recipe?

No I haven't, It sounds like it would not be too bad. I have this phobia about food that is pureed even the thought makes me ill. I know that i am not getting enough nutrition. I did grill me a piece of fish Saturday day and ate half of that. so i really am good for a few days more. I wish you all the best and i will keep in touch.

Today I am six weeks post-op. It has been an ordeal, I have had a hard time getting through the surgery. I guess because I was not in the best of health going in. I am not going to sugar coat my experience to anyone. The first four weeks I wanted to die. The surgery itself was the most painful thing I have ever gone through. I do admit that I am an exception. 99.9 percent of sleeve patients are home in two days and working in a week. The truth is, without the surgery my future was not going to go well. My health was failing and I could not lose weight on my own and keep it off. Now, I am down 40 lbs and feeling like a new person. Would I do it again, I don't know. I am still on soft foods and everything I try to eat stays in my throat. However, even though I am sick at my stomach all the time, I actually am much healthier. If you are young and you are super, morbidly obese. Have this surgery done but try to improve your health while you are waiting for the process to happen. You will get through it much easier. Don't wait until you are in your sixties and in bad health. I began this journey at 303 lbs and six weeks later I weigh 263. I hope to reach my goal of 165 lbs by my next birthday, March, 2016. I will update once a week to keep everyone up to date on my progress. I have only one other thing to add, keep this blog going, don't let it end. Just a few words of kindness and hope can make the difference in someones life who can't make up their mind or who is going through a tuff time like myself. This blog has given me hope when i had none. We have all made a very important decision to take a stand and take back our lives. Thank you all for your wisdom and kindness.

In reply to #38, I read your post this morning. So sorry that you are having a difficult time. I just completed my meeting with the psych and nutrionist. The next step will be the upper endoscopy. I will be having the sleeve surgery soon. We are probably about the same age too. My health is pretty good and that is why my doctor recommended getting the sleeve. I know there will be pain, but I'm hoping they'll give me enough medication to help ease the pain. Thanks for posting.

You will get plenty of medication for pain. You will be up and moving around the same day as your surgery. Be strong and stay committed. This is a huge step and you want to make the best of it.

#40. Thank you. I was scared after I read your post thinking about the pain ahead of me. I will let you know when my surgery is scheduled.

Sandy