Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Maybe TMI, but tell me about your experience with constipation! And Help?

I'm 2 weeks post-op from my VSG, and I was doing AWESOME. Until Monday. I just woke up feeling yucky. I was nauseous, and I was supposed to be started soft foods, so I made myself some eggs and cheese for Breakfast. I could not get them down. It was like they just stuck in my esophagus and wouldn't go anywhere. I thought this was just because they were new or maybe too dry, so I tried a Protein Drink for lunch and got a few sips in before it started not wanting to go down either. This worried me, obviously. It would probably be useful to mention that I haven't been able to burp when I needed to since surgery. This was a problem the first week, but once most of the gas was gone, I barely noticed. Since Monday I've barely been able to get anything down. I realized yesterday, though, that I don't think I have used the bathroom (#2) since either Friday or Saturday. Obviously not a good thing. So I took some stool softeners last night, and I've gone a little bit but I still can't really get anything down. I was wondering if anyone else had similar feelings with their Constipation (because I know that it is very common) or if the pain that I'm feeling might actually be coming from something else?

Just to summarize: Since Monday, anything I try to eat feels like it gets stuck in my esophagus, and it hurts. I'm hoping this is due to the constipation.

I just mixed some flax seeds in my eggs or whatever I was eating. If it continues, I would call your doctor.

Probably a good idea to call your surgeon just in case it is not Constipation. I use "Smooth Move" tea. I get it at the health food store or even the grocery. It works in about 12 hours for me and works so well I try to plan where I am around that time.

if you are taking pain meds STOP EATING NOW! Go back to Clear liquids and take a laxative. You may need a couple of Fleet enemas. If no results call your MD ...ASAP

Codeine no matter what quantity has a huge propensity to constipate. You can quickly progress to a blockage and you DO NOT WANT THAT!

Hope this helps.

PS: I'm also a nurse. And I have been on that other side. Just remember the most important...DO NOT STRAIN

I have actually not taken any pain meds whatsoever since about 2 days after getting home. I haven't had bad pain at all. The word blockage scares me. I just took the stool softener last night, so I'm going to see how I do today, and the plan is to call the surgeon tomorrow if it hasn't gotten any better. Thank you for the replies!

Relax, it's certainly not "TMI". Most of us have been there and others that are lurking are surely dealing with some sort of Constipation. If it's not blocked yet, try the stool softeners. If it's past that, your might try Magnesium Citrate.

You can get it a Walgreens or any drugstore in a small bottle like a flavored drink. Refrigerate it and try to drink it all down at once. (it' has a little bitter taste, kinda like unsweetened kool-aide) Then drink as much Water as you can afterwards. It will usually start working in a couple hours. It is very gentle and cleans you out completely.

More importantly, it works. Quickly.

I usually keep a couple of bottles in the Fridge in case things get past the point of no return........I consider it more valuable than gold. ;)

OMG.....I have typed a reply twice now and for whatever reason, probable more me than my computer I lost them both times.

I would definitely call your doc.

I am 5weeks post op and was doing fine in the #2 area until this weekend. :(

I had a horrible day on Monday, but after some stool softners, some magnesium citrate and an enema (God I love my hubby, poor thing. he used to be an RN so it is so helpful to have him around, none of this stuff bothers him) things started to move a little. This morning I finally feel back to normal.

I called my doc 's office on Monday though because I wanted to know what to do to prevent this from happening again. She told me to get Miralax and mix it into my evening tea and it should help keep me regular. I used it last night and the good thing is it is completely tasteless. Whew!! So hopefully it will work for me.

I really hope you get this figured out, it is not pleasant in the least bit. Good Luck!!!

I had the same issues a few weeks out of my VSG. I couldn't really drink anything but Water because of the consipation and nausea I was feeling. I finally read in my book that surgeon's office gave me before surgery and it said to try Miralax in a glass of Water. It is tasteless so you don't even know you added it. It really helped me a lot. I have to do it at least once a week. And I drink a lot of water too 80 oz and up! :)

Hope this helps!