Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Does Your Weight Loss Surgery Diet Fit into Your Household’s Meal Plan?

How Does Your Weight Loss Surgery Diet Fit into Your Household’s Meal Plan?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. How do you stick to your weight loss surgery diet and keep your family happy?

• No problem. I live alone.
    • I’m really lucky. My family doesn’t mind eating healthy, so we eat the same things. I just eat less.
    • I cook my food, and my spouse cooks for the rest of the family.
    • I make two separate meals: mine, and everyone else’s.
    • I mostly make what everyone else wants, and just try to pick out the healthy things and get enough protein.
    • Other. Please tell us about it in the conversation below!

The weight loss surgery diet is very strict and very different than a regular diet. You might be eating entirely differently from the rest of your family, which can make mealtimes a challenge! How do you stick to your weight loss surgery diet and keep your family happy?

• No problem. I live alone.
  • I’m really lucky. My family doesn’t mind eating healthy, so we eat the same things. I just eat less.
  • I cook my food, and my spouse cooks for the rest of the family.
  • I make two separate meals: mine, and everyone else’s.
  • I mostly make what everyone else wants, and just try to pick out the healthy things and get enough Protein.< /li>
  • Other. Please tell us about it in the conversation below!

Mark your answer, and explain it in the conversation below! We want to know how your diet fits into your family’s plan, and your answer just may help other BariatricPal members stay on their meal plans while feeding their families.

Hubby has fallen in love with my Protein shakes, which I usually have for Breakfast. So he has a Protein shake, too.

For lunch, he does his own thing, and I do my own thing. (Today, my thing was Greek yogurt and sliced mangoes.)

For evening, we often (not always) do healthy takeout, so we each order the food we want. Tonight, I'm having broiled salmon, and he's having broiled tilapia with shrimp. I'm having two green side veggies (I can eat only about 1/3 of each side), and he's having a single green veggie and a baked potato. He'll have some bread, but I won't.

Ah, he has no choice but to eat what I make or he can cook for himself and for him to do that, well........ he would rather have all his teeth pulled out without freezing. He had enough cooking when I was in the hospital for 5.5 months.

He is used to it all now except squash. I don't think I will ever convert him...lol ;)

Blend the squash and hide it in something he likes to eat! Thats how I get my husband to eat it. I blend it and put it in spaghetti sauce.

Blend the squash and hide it in something he likes to eat! Thats how I get my husband to eat it. I blend it and put it in spaghetti sauce.

Yes, yes I could do that but it would not be as much fun as seeing his face scrunch up like a little boy would it...lol

I technically don't live alone, I have a housemate but we now each eat separate meals. I try to get him to try some new things, and he does, sometimes.

I think I've had a bit of a easier time of it by not having to cook for anyone else. I'm 100% focused on me.

So far, so good!

When I made the decision to pursue my life with/after WLS, I was determined not to impose my outcomes on my family. So at least for the foreseeable future, I either cook something separately for myself, or really modify a serving of what my family eats so it's acceptable for me too. Granted, curiosity has caused them to at least try some new things, but this was my decision and my journey to take, not theirs. They've been super supportive from day one, so it's not like I'm on my own, but I feel my WLS and the dietary restrictive outcomes isn't something I should force on my family. :)

I have not yet had surgery, but currently, everyone is on their own for Breakfast and lunch and I do dinner. The plan, after surgery, is for it to stay the same and for me to cook one meal for everyone - including Protein and healthy veggies (which is what we are eating now). Not sure how that will work out, but during my liquid and pureed food stages, hubby has said he will pick up the slack by cooking for everyone. :)

I make 2 separate meals- mine & theirs. I have modified what I make for the family and they are eating healthier since my diet has changed. My Protein heavily relies on milk and dairy products and my son is allergic to milk protein. Unfortunately, the way I prepare my food and the rest of the family's will always remain separate.

I am only 5 weeks post op so my answer of me making myself a meal and me making a meal for my husband and daughter is where we are right now. They have been so supportive in this whole process. I knew they would be or I wouldn't even ventured ahead with this.

Once I am further out my answer would be I'm really lucky my family doesn't mind eating healthy, one meal and I just eat less of it!!

I would love to see more answers like this......I get that this was our decision ultimately, but support goes a long way!!

We're empty nesters, ( yay !) so he and I choose our own breakfasts, but always have healthy leftovers for lunch.. Each of us adds in whatever fruit or vegetables we want. dinner is fairly healthy, a Protein, a veggie or salad and a side. He's diabetic so we lean our food choices towards that end, but it works well for both of us. No separate meals needed !

We're also a couple whose kids are grown and gone. Im 7 months postop and just this month my husband has started loving my breakfast shake Unjury Protein Powder - yay! So we each make our own, but I buy larger quantities of it. lunch we each make our own but I usually shop and he's trying to eat healthier. dinner I said I'd cook a "real meal" for dinner for us twice times a week, and it's what I need to eat and he goes along with it (adding starch always) but sometimes - like last night - I make an old favorite of his that i'm not going to eat at all, in this case tuna casserole. Though this time it was really super slimmed down with very little added fat and more veggies. Other than those two nights, we're happily on our own for dinners unless we go out together, which is maybe once a week on our day off. I love not having to spend that extra hour each day thinking and cooking! I also keep a goodly stash of pre-portioned frozen meals for myself that I can just grab and thaw each night. Fun thread - nice reading what others do too.

I find it so easy to adapt..... I'm from the DEEP SOUTH, so we have lots of dishes with rice. (red Beans & rice, gumbo w/rice, jambalaya). I either cook with brown rice, or if I use white rice, I eat the dish w/out rice. Same thing for meatballs and Pasta...... I either fix whole wheat Pasta or I eat the Tomato gravy with just the meatballs. We eat a lot of seafood and I usually broil instead of deep fry. The other day, I made mac n cheese. I used some of the cheese sauce and made a small dish with broccoli and cauliflower. If I make poboys, I just eat the meats and cheese rolled up in lettuce leaves, instead of eating it all on French bread. It's really no big deal to adjust any of my every day dishes. That's what I've been doing for the last three years, and everyone seems perfectly content. Like I mentioned in a previous post, my husband joined the gym when I did and eats the way I eat (except a larger quantity) and he lost 60 pounds over the last year and a half too. Together, we are 200+ pounds lighter !!!!!!!!!

My husband likes that he will be getting more meat so Protein side of it is not a problem, I usually will fix mashed potatoes for the kids and my husband and a veggie side for me and I will eat a little of both. I go around the plate like my Dr. said Protein Veggies fruit and then anything really high carb. hopefully when I get my 1st fill tommorrow this will have been good practice.