Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded Teachers Talk - BTT

Hi everyone! I'm new to the group and was excited to see this thread for teachers. I teach high school special education. I was banded June 19th, 2007 (Gotta love summer break). So far I'm down 60lbs. I too find the eating at school difficult. I'm at 2.25cc of fill and if I don't eat slow enough it can be quite painful. I try to stick to crackers, cottage cheese, and cheese sticks at work. It seems to be the easiest with the time constraints.

Hey.. Karla!!! Great to see you finally got on the site. When I told everyone about it at the support meeting and then went on it later Saturday and it was down for the day, I was really disappointed. I hoped everyone that tried the site would realize I didn't give a bad url!!!

Have you checked the Before and After thread under General Discussion?? I just posted some pics there yesterday.

See ya on the 24th!!

Hi Judy! I did try to get on the site Saturday, but I figured it was my computer. I'm not much for technology. I'm still trying to navigate and figure out~ getting out of the chat rooms. I'm excited to be in the support group. Thanks for getting that started!

Glad to see other teachers. I co-teach high school English. (I am a special education teacher)

I will have surgery on Nov. 5th. I have a lot of sick days accumulated. Although, I don't think I'll need it, I've taken 2 weeks off. Part of me felt guilty taking that much time off, but then 2 of my teacher friends talked me into the second week to use for myself. So I did it. I am actually looking forward to a little break.

wnt2lose - How did surgery go? Lucky you to have 2 weeks! I went back 6 days post op - which was the first day of school. I thought I was going to pass out or throw up that day -it was really hot and I was exhausted about 2hours into the day. By day 8 I was feeling great. I just had my 2nd fill today and can definitely feel the restriction. My first month was wonderful. The last few weeks were rough. The first fill seemed to do nothing. Hopefully this will get me through the next 4 weeks with a bit of a loss. I didn't lose anything between my first and second fill. OK , I lost HALF a pound! The emotional eating was getting bad. It's nearly 2 a.m. and I have insomnia, but I'm gonna try getting some sleep. Hope you are doing well.

I teach High School and im banded....I went into the cafeteria for the first time this year to eat and these cafeterias are not band friendly IMO!!!

Pam, Thanks for asking about my surgery. It has gone really well. The first few days I felt horrile. Shoulder pain, couldn't cough etc. Now, I can't believe the difference in my attitude and how I feel. I just went to my first follow-up appointment with my surgeon. I've lost 20lbs in 2 1/2 weeks!! Actually about 40 lbs from this summer when I was at my all time high weight! I know eventually the weight loss will level off, but I love the head start.

I am really glad to have this extra week. I don't think I could've made it on Monday. I travel to 3 different classrooms and I think I would've been beat by the end of the day. Plus, just getting used to my new eating schedule is an adjustment.

Hi, I am a kindergarten teacher. I was banded on Oct. 11th, on a Thursday, and went back to school on Monday. It was tough the first week, but after that, it was smooth sailing. I have had one student tell me she could tell I had lost weight. This was unprovoked!

I find that it isn't too hard to fit my eating into the schedule. I have a Protein Drink inthe morning at home, drink Water til lunch, have lunch at school and then dinner at home. Not too bad.

Good to see this thread and read about other teachers.

Hi, let's keep this thread up y'all!

I have been out of commission lately with a kidney stone and a child with the flu, been a terrible week.

I am ready to get back to work, I think my class has fallen apart without me.

Howdy!

I teach high school math in west Texas. I'll be banded about a week and a half after school gets out - I can't wait!

Maybe we could ask for a folder thing in the Special Interest Groups section so more teachers would catch sight of the thread? I'm super excited about finding it, I am sure others would be as well.

Howdy!

I teach high school math in west Texas. I'll be banded about a week and a half after school gets out - I can't wait!

Maybe we could ask for a folder thing in the Special Interest Groups section so more teachers would catch sight of the thread? I'm super excited about finding it, I am sure others would be as well.

Hi, cara! I taught middle and high school math years ago but I've been teaching at community college in Austin for the past five years. It's a better fit for me.

You picked a great time to get the surgery done! You'll have plenty of time to recuperate plus think how dramatic it will be when your faculty, staff, and former students see you in August! Since my schedule changes every semester, there are a few folks I haven't seen at all since December -- I can't wait until they see me again. I've only told a few close friends that I had the surgery, though I'll tell others if they ask.

I like the idea of our own board!

I am really glad to find a group of teachers on here. I will hopefully get to be banded the day before Spring Break. Do you think that a week is long enough for me to be out? I absolutely hate having a sub!!!!!!!

I am having my surgery on 03/07/08. I am doing it one day before springbreak. That gives me 9 days post surgery. Hopefully that will be all I need. I am a self contained special education teacher of SCD students. I do have an aide. This is good.

I am really glad to find a group of teachers on here. I will hopefully get to be banded the day before Spring Break. Do you think that a week is long enough for me to be out? I absolutely hate having a sub!!!!!!!

I had surgery on Thursday and returned to school on Tuesday. I don't teach on Fridays so I only had to cancel two days of classes (community college.) Also, I tutored on Tuesday and only had one evening class. Tutoring -- going from student to student and sitting most of the time -- is certainly easier than teaching, especially depending on the level you teach. I ended up missing my Tuesday evening class because I locked my keys in the car and couldn't get to campus in time. On Wednesday and Thursday, I sat during my some of my classes (the ones where my lessons are on PowerPoint.) i was a little weak and tired that first week. It wasn't until after the second weekend that I felt normal again.

So based on my experience, I think having the entire week of spring break, including two weekends, will be perfect and you'll be fine going back to school.

4th grade teacher here!!! I'm here in the Cold Frozen Southeastern Ohio!

I LOVE MY JOB!! I can't imagine doing anything else.. well.. some days when it's been difficult, I would like to be a dog bather. The "kids" don't talk back, and there's no homework to collect and grade.

No one knew that I had surgery over the Christmas break. I returned to work 5 days later, and felt ok.

I was a bit weak, but just said I had some kind of "stomach" bug. I didn't lie.. *giggle*