Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

If you weren't obese "all" of your life, what is it that caused you to become obese ?

I was 100 pounds after I had all 3 children I gave birth at 115 pounds. My children have never been a factor. I had so many heavy people in my family i was frantic about not becoming one cuz of genetics. In my late 30s I was brutally raped in front of my children in my home by a stranger in let in to use the phone. After that I went up and down with my weight if men hit on me I would gain weight. I would get less attention feel safe. And lose it again this was a back and forth thing. Then my brother was killed by a drunk driver and in the same week my father-in-law shot himself I found him! That was it i quit my job and for a year I did nothing but sit on the couch I got huge. I lost the weight in 2013 down 130 pounds kept in off for a year drinking Medifast shakes only 500 calories a day. When I stopped I gained it all back and more. So here I am. I lost 40 pounds in 4 months pre-op and my Dr questioned if I really needed surgery. I told him I am great a starving myself but I can't keep it off it just isn't realistic. So answer is no most my life I was thin because I was obsessed with staying thin.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using the BariatricPal App

I was 100 pounds after I had all 3 children I gave birth at 115 pounds. My children have never been a factor. I had so many heavy people in my family i was frantic about not becoming one cuz of genetics. In my late 30s I was brutally raped in front of my children in my home by a stranger in let in to use the phone. After that I went up and down with my weight if men hit on me I would gain weight. I would get less attention feel safe. And lose it again this was a back and forth thing. Then my brother was killed by a drunk driver and in the same week my father-in-law shot himself I found him! That was it i quit my job and for a year I did nothing but sit on the couch I got huge. I lost the weight in 2013 down 130 pounds kept in off for a year drinking Medifast shakes only 500 calories a day. When I stopped I gained it all back and more. So here I am. I lost 40 pounds in 4 months pre-op and my Dr questioned if I really needed surgery. I told him I am great a starving myself but I can't keep it off it just isn't realistic. So answer is no most my life I was thin because I was obsessed with staying thin.

This breaks my heart. Sending hugs to you.

Thank you. I will be me again very soon the psychologist and psychiatrist are a bit worried how I will respond to men once I lose the weight because I have it in my head that I'm older now. At any rate I will continue to see both the psychologist and psychiatrist after.

Thank you. I will be me again very soon the psychologist and psychiatrist are a bit worried how I will respond to men once I lose the weight because I have it in my head that I'm older now. At any rate I will continue to see both the psychologist and psychiatrist after.

I am a firm believer in using every resource available. I am glad to hear you have a mental health team to work with.

Edited by onehappychick

These stories ring a bell for me.

Amazing how life, jobs, kids, yucky marriages, end up with poundage on our bodies. I'm just so glad to be done with the part of that cycle of useless dieting and gaining

And now feel (fairly ) successful with living at a decent weight.

27 bmi. Perfect? It is for me, not by some outdated charts. I'm thrilled to live fairly easily at this size and weight and my clothes in my closet fit for once ( instead of range of sizes before)

I get after all these years I won't be a size 8 ever and I'm ok with 10-12.

I am just making peace with what I have and going on.

I don't want to ever feel that struggle of not feeling "good enough"

Someone quoted living your "best "life ... One you are happy with and can maintain. Apparently this is where my body will be

Thank you WLS

A BMI of 27, size 8, and being happy with your body sounds like success to me!!! A huge congratulations to you!!!

Three kids, a complete hysterectomy at 32, and husband's infidelity (we worked through it) - all of these have wreaked havoc on my mind and body. I went from a healthy 110 to 240. Some of that weight gain was gradual, and not all my baby weight came off after each child. Most of my issues came after the hysterectomy, but I was covered with endometriosis so being in pain or gaining weight...not a hard choice. But, with the weight gain came other complications: high BP, swollen calves/ankles, more frequent Migraines. Job stress should be included in this mix as well as it did not help. I was a branch manager for a staffing agency during this time too. I lost weight on a doctor-monitored program (that included pills). Once the pills stopped working, the weight stopped coming off. I packed on the last 50 pounds in 6 months. Everything hurt. This surgery has been a gift from God. I'm only 54 pounds down so far, but just getting back under 200 has done wonders for my health (and state of mind). I know I won't be back to my little 110 lb self, but I also don't EVER want to get up over 200 again. My little bones have hated me for the past few years - they need relief!

Plain lack of education on my part and really trying. Everyone in my family is on the big boned side. But there are also lots of health issues. When both my parents passed away within 3 years of each other, that was the wake up call for me. Only in my 40's at the time, already seeing a cardiologist??

Got the lab band, lost 70 lbs, now trying to keep them off, you know how it goes sometimes. 2 steps forward, 1 step back. but I still have kept most of it off. Plus I have joined Planet Fitness and have been committed to going at least 4 times a week if not more, and I go on weekends. It has also inspired my daughter who's weight was starting to go up to start a gym, she has lost 40 lbs in 6 months,

At a family bbq, my cousin pointed at me and said you are going to eat a piece of cake, so you don't forget where you came from. (all in jest)..