Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I HAD MY SURGERY

It depends on the insurance you have in America. I had a better insurance. So I didn't have to do a lot of thing. I basically said I wanted the surgery and why. Had at the surgery at the hospital I work with the hospital's private insurance. I experience the same pain. Stayed for two nights. A week out and feel much better.

I am two weeks out. The first couple of days I felt like death. I came out of the General anesthetic really badly and could breathe very well and almost ended up in ICU - I did have a slight cold though so that probably didn't. I still get very nauseous in the AM and was allowed to start puree's yesterday. But the puree's get stuck no matter how small a bite and how slow I eat.

I am in Australia and I still marvel at how in the USA you are only in overnight there was no way I was capable of leaving the next day I couldn't eat or drink for about 3 days! I was in for 3 nights ( common practice in Australia) and they tried to keep me for another night! Also with our private health insurance they don't question your comorbidities or BMI if you are covered by insurance (or prepared to pay) you can have the operation. Also our process is quick I went to a talk by a surgeon and five weeks later I had my operation!

I had my surgery on Nov. 21 and I am so glad I did this! The first three days are uncomfortable but not awful and def so worth it!

Def was in pain when I woke up until the nurse finally gave me Dilaudid rather than morphine. I don't know what the difference is as they are in the same class. But it made a big difference. I was able to get up several times and walk during that first night in the hospital.I dry heaved several times while in the hospital basically any time I tried to take in any fluids.. but for very short periods, it resolved itself quickly. I never throught I would get through the contrast swallow test which I needed to pass in order to get sprung from the hospital, but the yucky solution went right down! I barfed it up afterward. But again, quickly and it was over. Honestly, the hospital stay could have been so much worse. No prolonged nausea or significant pain to speak of. I was only nauseated when I tried to take in fluids orally. When I was in the hospital, I really didn't want visitors. I just wanted to be alone to sleep and just deal.

The challenge was managing both nausea and pain when I got home which I really was able to do with Zorthran (for nausea) and Tramadol (for pain). It was very difficult to get down fluids and I think the most stressful part of this period was trying to get fluids down to avoid dehydration. Because you can take in very little. And I felt like I needed to get up and walk around everytime I took a few sips, to get things moving. You would have to be up all day and all night and not sleep to get down the 64 ounces they say is required. I probably got down 36 ounces (if that) for the first 24 hours home. But I was peeing a lot so I guess the hospital sent me home pretty well hydrated.

I had the surgery on Friday. On Monday I was able to start to take in watered down juice and nibble on some sugar free Jello. On Tuesday, I was able to add Propel Water and chicken broth. Hard to keep your energy level up with so few calories. I spend all of my time in bed. Until Monday, I was just sleeping. Didn't even watch TV. But on Monday I started watching TV and got back on my laptop but I still slept most of the day. On Tuesday, I stayed awake most of the day.

I see my doctor today for my one week -- because of the holiday it is early. The two issues of concern I will raise with him are: no BM since before the surgery -- however my gas pains are not bad; I have a rash on my belly which I believe is due to the polyester binder they place on you post surgery; and please please please can I move on to thickened liquids? I am getting hunger pains!

I'm not gonna lie, I had very little pain post op. Yeah I was one of those people. I just felt groggy. And wanted a drink but was allowed nothing until the next day. The hardest part for me was that pressure on the lung feeling that made it hard to walk. Like, I had to walk so slowly for a week!

Beach gurl so sorry it do not go well. I had surgery Monday. and really went well. Just A lot of gas but walking. Sipping Water helped a great you will feel even better in the next 2 days. I was just really tired but did make 2 things for dinner. The I just went straight back to bed. Gas strip help too

@sarinna55 I was prescribed colace because morphine and dialaidid. Causes Constipation I have been taking it and it works like a charm

At a week post op now I'm feeling great. It was mostly the first two days. I'm down 30 lbs today!!!

@@beachgurl84 down 30 pounds just one week out...AWESOME!!!! You are doing it!????

That includes the 10 lbs I lost with 5 days preop liquid diet.

beachgurl84, on 22 Nov 2014 - 09:26, said:

I can't wait to get there

I am almost in tears to read this post .I am relieved! I am out 5 days and feel like shit (sorry). I spoke with the 2 people who had this and between them and the forum I was NOT prepared for how I am feeling. I had to spend 3 nights in Hospital b/c of getting sick. The Gas pains are horrid but I keep in mind, this momentary discomfort feels a lot better then dying early! So glad to know it does get better. I even do feel a bit better today.

NG76, on 26 Nov 2014 - 05:52, said:

I am two weeks out. The first couple of days I felt like death. I came out of the General anesthetic really badly and could breathe very well and almost ended up in ICU - I did have a slight cold though so that probably didn't. I still get very nauseous in the AM and was allowed to start puree's yesterday. But the puree's get stuck no matter how small a bite and how slow I eat.

I am in Australia and I still marvel at how in the USA you are only in overnight there was no way I was capable of leaving the next day I couldn't eat or drink for about 3 days! I was in for 3 nights ( common practice in Australia) and they tried to keep me for another night! Also with our private health insurance they don't question your comorbidities or BMI if you are covered by insurance (or prepared to pay) you can have the operation. Also our process is quick I went to a talk by a surgeon and five weeks later I had my operation!

Yet another reason I loved Australia!! Loved everything about it when I was there. The only other country I would be happy to live in!

I am almost in tears to read this post .I am relieved! I am out 5 days and feel like **** (sorry). I spoke with the 2 people who had this and between them and the forum I was NOT prepared for how I am feeling. I had to spend 3 nights in Hospital b/c of getting sick. The Gas pains are horrid but I keep in mind, this momentary discomfort feels a lot better then dying early! So glad to know it does get better. I even do feel a bit better today.

I promise, unless you have some kind of complication, every day gets a little better.

I had my band removed and converted to a sleeve on Tuesday. Today was the hardest day yet because of gas pains in my gut and in my shoulder. I couldn't get control of my nausea in the hospital so I had to stay an extra day... My husband had a sleeve last week and he was doing fine by this time. You just never know. I can barely keep my Water down but I know it will get better...my band was bad too and it took a while to feel better!

The GAS!! I just laid in bed wishing to toot and toot and toot!! And the pain is another thing, I knew there would be pain, but I didnt know I would be miserable for two days, the ride home was torture (make sure you get pain meds before you leave the hospital), But 10 days post op and feeling normal, still have gas (relieved by gas-x strips) and some pain, but can finally sleep on my side and bend over without feeling pain :)

Edited by TNchick

I'm so glad you were all so honest. I wanted to know the worst i could possibly feel. I'm scheduled for Dec 8 only 9 days to go. I got detox from caffeine and soda, no straws but I'm still trying to give up chewing gum. I got it for gas pain the best is walking g and gas strips. I will have them handy.