Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What foods were you allowed on your puréed phase? After being on Clear liquids for the first nine days, I expected to move to full liquids for a week, but my NUT told me this morning that when we meet on Friday, I'll be moving to the puréed stage and to start thinking about what I want for lunch that day. :) I'm sure she'll give me her guidelines on what I can have.

But, give me some ideas on what you were allowed to have during that phase!

I'm not there yet as surgery isn't until 03 December....but I've been wondering about the same thing. My NUT recommended I buy baby food...literal jars of baby food! I just couldn't bring myself to do it, so I googled homemade baby food and am going to use some of those recipes to make my own purees. My favorite that I"ve seen so far is chicken and applesauce....don't know why that sounds good to me but it does...

Yesterday was my first day. I had an egg for Breakfast and some Greek yogurt at lunch then a teaspoon of Peanut Butter for a snack later but the peanut butter made me feel a little sick too. I would love to hear some ideas on this phase too. I'm anxious to eat but a little nervous.

Nut butter, yogurt, soft boiled eggs, applesauce. I purred peaches because I don't care for applesauce, creamy Soups, hummus.

Thanks everyone! I'm looking forward to a little texture, but I know that Water goes down well and I don't want to find out that something else doesn't. LOL!

What about refried Beans (thinned with a bit of Water? )? Or is that a "soft food" stage kind of item...

Thanks everyone! I'm looking forward to a little texture, but I know that Water goes down well and I don't want to find out that something else doesn't. LOL!

What about refried Beans (thinned with a bit of Water? )? Or is that a "soft food" stage kind of item...

I'm a bit surprised that your surgeon's office didn't provide you a phased diet before and after surgery. Surgeons and nutritionists all seem to agree it's essential for long-term success. In any case, we're here to help!

My nutritionist is all about high Protein, low sugar, lower fat. She does not recommend baby food because it does not provide adequate Protein and is often high in sugar. Plus, it's disgusting for an adult in texture. The food does not have to be gelatinous like baby food or pudding to be safe. It simply needs to have a soft consistency and not have large hard chunks. Think of meat the consistency of canned tuna.< /p>

For example, wet cooking chicken (steamed, boiled, braised) and then putting into the food processor with some of the liquid to a canned tuna consistency...voila! Puree. You can add a sauce, cheese, etc. The point is to have a soft and "already-chewed" texture to it so you're easy on your new tummy.

Cottage cheese, egg whites, cheese sticks, are all common non-meat choices.

Quick Google brought up a common phased approach: http://www.floydbariatrics.org/floyd-bariatrics-sleeve-gastrectomy-diet.html

Edited by AlwaysVegas

I am able to tolerate the refried Beans well. I thin them with a little FF milk

I'm a bit surprised that your surgeon's office didn't provide you a phased diet before and after surgery. Surgeons and nutritionists all seem to agree it's essential for long-term success. In any case, we're here to help!

I'm sure she'll give me much more detailed info at my appt on Friday. I'm just trying to wrap my head around it ahead of time. :)

Yep, the thought of eating baby food makes me want to gag. I don't have a problem making my own food into that consistency though.

My handout lists the following examples for pureed foods.

No skins, no seeds, well-cooked. Emphasis on protein-rich foods. Don't combine solid & liquids. Foods must be pureed to "applesauce texture."

I've also read other people liking cream of wheat, and well-mashed refried Beans or avocado.

Edited by sprocket

Wow, I'm impressed that canned tuna and canned salmon are on there! I was thinking that my options would be really limited but if my list is similar to yours, I should have quite a few options.

notebook

My program gave us a handbook at the first appointment. It's a loose-leaf notebook. I consider it my bible. It has each step broken down from pre to post op. I have 4 pages front and back on pureed food, including sample menus. In addition to the things mentioned Quaker Weight Control oatmeal and regular Cereal without nuts or dried fruit are allowed. It makes it easier to have this to refer to .

Baby food did not go over well here either. My significant other is an outstanding home chef, and since he is from Malta, he cooks in the Medterranean style. For my puree phase, he took what he made for his meals and put it in thhe food processor with a little broth, milk, or Water - whatever was suitable. I think my favorite was the Italian beef. He made a sandwich for himself and some pureed beef and pureed home cooked green Beans for me. He fixed a lot of stuff for me that way.

He made homemade chicken Soup and took some meat and veg out and smooshed it in the processor for my meal. For the puree stage I was told that it could be real food, but had to have no chunks and be able to slide off the spoon. The consistency of baby food or cream of wheat is a good enough example.

My program gave us a handbook at the first appointment. It's a loose-leaf notebook. I consider it my bible. It has each step broken down from pre to post op. I have 4 pages front and back on pureed food, including sample menus. In addition to the things mentioned Quaker Weight Control Oatmeal and regular Cereal without nuts or dried fruit are allowed. It makes it easier to have this to refer to .

Wow, that looks awesome!! I did get a binder at the start but it strictly addressed the various surgical options. They seem to be giving me the rest of the detail a little at a time.