Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lucky # Sevens- July 07 Bandsters

Hi everyone. Is there a question today? If not, I have one...

Someone mentioned a few days ago if we were telling people what we were doing. I had mentioned that I was not sharing it with people at work. However, I need to tell them something. So here's my question...

What are you telling people who need to know you've had surgery (of some type), but not to worry them? I was thinking of hieatal hernia surgery. It can be done laproscopically, and I think would require a modified post-surgery diet. Any comments on this? Has anyone had this type of surgery... is it at all similar in recovery?

i am new to this forum, but have been reading everybody's posts for a long time now. i am schedule for surgery 7/20 in portland oregon with dr emma patterson. i am self pay. i am 5'4, 234 pounds, and am extremly excited for this day to finally get here. thanks to all for their posts, and experiences. this site is so awesome.

This should really be penned as a condition. One that I've got big time. I've eaten so much "last hurrah" things lately that I went up in weight by 5 lbs. It was Water retention, which I've lost again, but still... OMG.

Two days left before pre-op, so what did I do tonight... my last Haagen-Dazs Mayan chocolate ice cream. I've almost polished off the entire container, and feel sick. But this stuff is better than mediocer sex. Nothin's better than great (or "bad") sex... aka my user name!!!

Oh DH, is it bedtime yet?

Oh well... back to the ice cream.

Yes! That was the one. He joked about being beat up by a girl the entire concert. From what I understand he fell asleep, with his legs stretched in front of him, and just happened to be TOUCHING her armrest (They make it sound like he was kicked back with his foot up on top of it), she asked him to move (him being asleep, didn't hear), and he apparently woke up to this woman beating on him...

I really don't think he is at all the diva the media makes him out to be. It was one of the most intimate concerts I'd ever been to, and I really felt like he cared about his fans, and he wasn't just there to perform, he was there to perform FOR us. And he openly communicated with the audience the entire show. (The Brady Theater in Tulsa is not a very big venue)

I've never been to the Brady Theater... or to a Clay concert, but I think I have all his albums & enjoy his music.

Best of luck with your surgery... tomorrow, right? Will be praying for you.

~*Ash*~

Kathy, you "BAD" girl.

Have you thought about gall bladder surgery?? It has to do with your eating habits. When you're not eating what others are, just tell them your stomach can't handle it now since your gall bladder surgery!!!

We want to wish well our on deck crew:

MarcyinAK, Evilah, Ashrae, Rebecca, IcyBreeze, PrincessWillow, and JessSA. If I missed anyone, please forgive me!!! We wish you well, too.

Our prayers are with you. I hope you are resting soundly right now. Just relax. I'm sure all of you have researched this and are certain of what you're about to do. It's all good!!!

Let us know as soon as you can how you're doing!

OK, time to give shouts out to the 7/10 Bandsters on deck:

Marcy, evilah, Ashrea84, rebecca411, icybreeze, princesswillow, and jess SA.

Best of Luck to all of you as you enter BANDLAND tomorrow. Let us know how your doing when you can. You have our prayers.

Kathy, you "BAD" girl.

Have you thought about gall bladder surgery?? It has to do with your eating habits. When you're not eating what others are, just tell them your stomach can't handle it now since your gall bladder surgery!!!

Thanks Lynette, but I have already had my gall bladder out several years ago... and I think I might have told a few people this.

Heading to bed. Going to try sleeping in my own bed, finally. My DH is a little upset since he's been sleeping on my side for the last week, and likes it better than his now. Oh well, we're not switching now.

Have a great night everyone.

Hi all! New here as well - just got the call informing me that my surgery is scheduled for July 17th at 7:30 a.m.! Pretty exciting, although a little nervewracking. It is SO nice to be able to read the posts from those of us waiting to be banded and especially those of you kind enough to share your experiences since being banded. Thanks!

Congrats Unruhlyds - you ane i have the same day - I think I am scheduled for 6:15 a.m... Do you have a pre-op diet?? I have modified mind cuz I am starving... I had fish & salad instead of Soup or shake.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lindaa viewpost.gif

Thanks for the update Mommiranda...Maybe we can set up some kind of "scholarship" fund--who knows? There seems to be a lot of demand--maybe someone can make a business out of financing the surgery for ppl who don't have insurance. We need some Page Ranking people--where is Donald Trump?

Hmmm...I think you're onto something here...

I work in a medical office and there are a few companies that offer patient financing for people who have limited insurance, or no insurance, however, the Doctors office has to be signed up with the plan. Usually there are no interest payment plan options, and extended plans with lower interest than a credit card. You can look online for some options

What are you telling people who need to know you've had surgery (of some type), but not to worry them? I was thinking of hieatal hernia surgery. It can be done laproscopically, and I think would require a modified post-surgery diet. Any comments on this? Has anyone had this type of surgery... is it at all similar in recovery?

I'm not telling anyone anything. There are a couple of people who know I'm having the surgery, a friend in Kansas City who has the gastric bypass last year and was very encouraging when I told her of my similar decision, and a university friend of my husband whom we spent time with in Montreal over the Christmas period. Nobody else knows, including our respective families, and I have no intention of telling them.

Why? Because I don't want to have to explain and justify my decision. I don't want to hear things like "you don't need it", "lose weight the proper way", "there are better things to spend your money on", etc, etc, etc. I'm done defending my weight and my inability to lose it. I'm done taking two steps forwards and four steps back when it comes to weight loss programs. I'm just done with the whole thing.

Hey everyone! I'm about to head off to bed, but wanted to stop in and say thanks so much for all the well wishes! You guys are really great!!!

I had my pre-op appointment today, so gave blood to the vampires at the hospital one last time. I'm a little freaked because my doc got called to emergency surgery today, so he wasn't there for my appointment. Hoping to get to talk with him in the morning before the surgery....just to calm the nerves a little. On the upside, I'm already down 8 pounds and haven't even started yet...woohoo!!! Only 80 more to go....

In response to the question about telling people - I'm curious how others are handling this too. I only told my boss, so she would understand why I was out and in case I need to be out longer than expected. Otherwise, I didn't even tell my assistant, and thankfully, she didn't question the lovely wristband the hospital put on me! I've just told her that I'll be out a couple days, then working from home. to explain the change in eating habits, I was just planning to tell people that I'm seeing a nutritionist (true) and on a new diet (true). Other than my boss and parents, I haven't told anyone.

Off to bed. Hoping to get some sleep, as I doubt I'll get any in the hospital! =)

My fiance, his mother and 2 friends know. I havn't even told my own mother. I mentioned it to her a few times and she basically told me I shouldn't do it, that I didn't need it. I feel kinda bad because other than that, my mother and I are rather close. I may break down and tell her tomorrow, seeing that my surgery is wednesday.