Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is anyone deciding against surgery while in the pre-op stage? I'm going through the process of getting approved for surgery, but I'm still feeling very hesitant about it. There are so many things about the surgery and life afterward that worry me. If I can't control what I'm eating now, how will I control it when the honeymoon period is over? If I could eat low carb all the time, I wouldn't need the surgery to lose the weight. I don't know...I know I need to do something, but I'm just so scared of failing down the road. Am I alone, or does anyone else feel this way?

You are normal to feel this way. Hold off, but don't quit. Put your surgery date off, but don't cancel. Work on a 6 month goal and see how you do on your own.

Low carb was my perceived nightmare, it's easy now. I can't eat bread, rice potatoes because they make me feel horrid. Yuck but yay! You can't know how changing this is till you do it. Wait until you're ready.

Yes! I am having my surgery on November 19th and I am just starting to feel comfortable with the decision! Frankly, I think that is a good thing. Surgery is not a small step and should be thought about carefully. For me, losing weight is not that hard but keeping it off is. I want to avoid all the health problems that go along with morbid obesity.

So take your time and think it over. If your doctor's office offers weight loss support groups, go and talk to people who are post-op and get their feedback.

Good Luck!

I thought about this long and hard. Once I realized this was something I needed to do and chose my program, I never had one single doubt. In large part because the surgical changes make it really hard to over eat. Not impossible, but difficult and for many uncomfortable. I also knew there was no way I would go through all this testing and not follow it through.

Edited by Blerdgirl

I have low-carbed in the past and always lost a lot of weight...the last time I lost 140 pounds! I just have a hard time doing it for the long haul (for life), because that is the only way to keep the weight off. I keep thinking that if I have to eat low-carb after surgery, if I can just get my mind switched over to low-carb now, I could just avoid the surgery all together. I know I'm just kidding myself, because if I were that strong, I wouldn't be in this situation in the first place.

Is anyone else scared about the restrictions after surgery? No more gulping liquids, just small sips. No drinking while (or around) eating. Taking tiny bites that you have to chew 20-30 times. Etc. I know these are all pretty minor things, but when you combine everything, it's somewhat overwhelming. So many changes...forever.

I don't know anyone personally who has been sleeved, but I know several who have had gastric bypass...and every single one of them lost a ton of weight at first, but they've all gained their weight back. I'm worried I won't be any different.

I don't mean to be a Debbie Downer, I'm just having all of these thoughts. I'm lucky enough to have insurance that will cover the surgery at 100 percent if I'm approved, so I don't want to miss this wonderful opportunity. I know this surgery could greatly improve and extend my life, but I'm still so conflicted.

I do plan on attending the support group this month at the hospital, and I'm sure I will get some wonderful feedback there. I really appreciate this site, because it is so helpful to hear everyone's experiences. This is the place where you can hear all of the stuff the books don't tell you. Thank you all for sharing!!

My stepmom had gastric bypass and she too gained back the weight but she eats EVERYTHING your not supposed to. You have to be ready to change your life. Our "normal" doesn't work. Weightloss is a lifetime battle with or without the surgery.

I have low-carbed in the past and always lost a lot of weight...the last time I lost 140 pounds! I just have a hard time doing it for the long haul (for life), because that is the only way to keep the weight off. I keep thinking that if I have to eat low-carb after surgery, if I can just get my mind switched over to low-carb now, I could just avoid the surgery all together. I know I'm just kidding myself, because if I were that strong, I wouldn't be in this situation in the first place.

Is anyone else scared about the restrictions after surgery? No more gulping liquids, just small sips. No drinking while (or around) eating. Taking tiny bites that you have to chew 20-30 times. Etc. I know these are all pretty minor things, but when you combine everything, it's somewhat overwhelming. So many changes...forever.

I don't know anyone personally who has been sleeved, but I know several who have had gastric bypass...and every single one of them lost a ton of weight at first, but they've all gained their weight back. I'm worried I won't be any different.

I don't mean to be a Debbie Downer, I'm just having all of these thoughts. I'm lucky enough to have insurance that will cover the surgery at 100 percent if I'm approved, so I don't want to miss this wonderful opportunity. I know this surgery could greatly improve and extend my life, but I'm still so conflicted.

I do plan on attending the support group this month at the hospital, and I'm sure I will get some wonderful feedback there. I really appreciate this site, because it is so helpful to hear everyone's experiences. This is the place where you can hear all of the stuff the books don't tell you. Thank you all for sharing!!

I had all of those same questions and concerns before my surgery. All I can do is relate to you my own experience.

After surgery, your stomach WILL feel different. It takes awhile to adjust to all the new feelings. For one thing, your stomach is in a different place, right up underneath your diaphragm in the middle of your upper abdomen, you can feel it there. I wasn't expecting it, and it was very strange. After surgery, you burp. A lot. It diminishes over time, but burping is my sleeve's way of telling me to stop eating, I'm full.

My surgeon forbid complex carbs for 6 months. No bread, rice, Pasta, tortillas, crackers, etc. The first month I craved carbs really bad. It got much easier, and those six months I spent following my doctor's plan changed my eating habits for the better. Now every meal is protein-focused, I'm used to it, and when I eat, Protein is usually what I want. I am "allowed" to have those carbs now, but I rarely do, and if I do it's just a tiny bite or two. Bread, Pasta, rice, etc. take up a lot of room in my tiny tummy. They make me feel full too fast, and then I can't get my Protein in, so I choose not to eat them. THAT is how my sleeve works for me. It's a tool, and I choose to USE MY TOOL appropriately, that's how I know I will be a success.

Do I crave a nice sandwich on thick, artisan bread from time to time? Yes. But I definitely prefer being able to buy my clothes off the rack now, wrap a bath towel around my body, walk in public without thinking everyone is staring at "the fat lady," not taking BP meds, having normal cholesterol, and knowing I've added at least 10 years to my life. The old saying is true: NOTHING TASTES AS GOOD AS THIN FEELS!!!!!

Bariatric failures happen when people return to their old, unhealthy eating habits, when they choose not to use their tool. There is no food I will completely deny myself now--if I see it, i CAN have it. But if it's not on my eating plan, I most likely won't eat it.....not because I can't, but because I choose not to. Telling yourself you CAN'T have something makes you feel deprived. Telling yourself you can but you choose not to makes you feel proud of yourself for making a good, healthy decision. A mind game you play with yourself? Yes. But it works!

@@dsmith_rn - Those aren't complex carbs. Process flours, white rice, etc... are simple carbs. They don't pack a nutritious enough punch to be worth the calories and because they are processed they take your body longer to break down. Complex carbs are things like whole grains and veg. In addition to the carbs they bring to the party, they also contain Fiber. The body can process them easier.

As for being nervous. That's normal. This is a major life change. If you are up for making a permanent change, perhaps this isn't for you. It's not just smaller meals, it healthier meals and out attitudes about food in general that have to change. An occasional sandwich won't hurt. But on a day to day basis, we probably need to reach for a lettuce wrap instead. Instead of soda we need to commit to Water.

It takes a bit of determination. I think most of us can do it. Don't let your fears hold you back from living a better life.

@@dsmith_rn - Those aren't complex carbs. Process flours, white rice, etc... are simple carbs. They don't pack a nutritious enough punch to be worth the calories and because they are processed they take your body longer to break down. Complex carbs are things like whole grains and veg. In addition to the carbs they bring to the party, they also contain Fiber. The body can process them easier.

As for being nervous. That's normal. This is a major life change. If you are up for making a permanent change, perhaps this isn't for you. It's not just smaller meals, it healthier meals and out attitudes about food in general that have to change. An occasional sandwich won't hurt. But on a day to day basis, we probably need to reach for a lettuce wrap instead. Instead of soda we need to commit to Water.

It takes a bit of determination. I think most of us can do it. Don't let your fears hold you back from living a better life.

Sorry, I had a brain hiccup. Thanks for the correction!