Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Food Everywhere

I never noticed until this surgery how inundated we are with constant food advertisements and how food-centered we are as a society. In Houston, it seems there is a restaurant every three feet. At work Friday, platters of cupcakes for a birthday followed by lunch at an Italian restaurant. (Didn't go.) On tv, ad after ad for bowls of Kentucky fried chicken chunks with mashed potatoes and gigantic hamburgers. Good grief! I am physically revolted when I see these images! I'm so thrilled to not feel those cravings anymore but it sure makes me realize how indoctrinated we've been all our lives...No wonder obesity is such an epidemic! I thank the Lord for my surgeon and the opportunity I have now to leave that behind.

Since being sleeved a month & a half ago, other peoples' portions look SO huge!!! I notice all the street signs and ads for basically, JUNK food. Lots of carbs and sugar, very little Protein.

@@JCP My thoughts exactly. I am so happy that I don't have those cravings anymore. It's sad to see how greed has mislead us all into thinking it is okay to eat all of those unhealthy foods and portions.

Heck, they even make the pet food commercials look appetizing.

Lol :P

So true! I went out to a family dinner at a restaurant after a funeral. Everyone's portions were huge! Plus appetizers, salads, giant drinks, and dessert! And I used to eat that way, too. Now I look at it and wonder how I physically consumed all that food! Ugh!! I can hardly eat an egg now! Thank God.

I went to an open house a few months post-op. It amazed and kinda revolted me watching people eat plate after plate of food. Then the plate of try one of everything Desserts. I bet they ate for an hour straight. I call it mindless eating. I honestly didn't know what to do with my hands.

I'm thinking about taking up embroidery or crochet to occupy my hands. Plus reading more and less tv!

EXACTLY!

I feel the same way - that we are surrounded with junkfood commercials. I can barely stand the sight of a huge burger with all the fixins', dripping with juices. Visual overload. I look at TV and see lots of people I think ought to try a sleeve. If you have watched "Dr. Pol - Animal Vet" you see REAL people living in the Mid-West on farms who look (except for the Amish) like they are all going to have heart attacks. That lady Vet (forgot her name) is suffering. I can see it. Dr. Pol's son is another one.

I agree. On one hand you have the huge businesses selling unhealthy fare......Then. After a 40 days we will be inundated with diet commercials. Another Million dollar business that frankly I don't think lighten much but your pocketbook. Mute mute and don't buy in!! Just me

There's this new commercial Taco Bell has out, it's like a quesadilla with shredded pork or something, and it looks so disgusting!!

There are a lot of local doctors here who are no longer prescribing pain medication because so many people are addicted to them, and I was telling my mom that people need to also be worrying about getting rid of all these food commercials because people are so damn fat and unhealthy.

My husband ate two 6-inch subway sandwiches for lunch Friday. I couldn't believe it!