Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre Surgery Preparation Tips!

Hey Asher, this is my first time on here. I normally get on support groups on Facebook. I'm not sure exactly how this works but I was excited when I saw your post because your surgery date is the same as mine! I thought maybe it would be cool to keep in contact with someone who shares the same date as me and we can keep each other motivated and support each other. If you'd like to exchange email addresses?

Hi @@TillyBean and @@be_satisfied of course!! I would love to keep in contact! I hadn't seen anyone on here yet with my same date, so that is really exciting to hear! What a Christmas gift huh? When is everyone's pre-op class? Mine is December 8th and my 2 week liquid diet will start Dec 9th!

Edited by Asher325

I already had my pre op class. I still have to meet with my surgeon, my appointment is on December 18th. I start my pre op diet on the 14th, it's going to be a week from hell but worth it in the end! You girls can email me at stassie84@gmail.com.

I have my pre op class on Dec 3rd. I meet with the doctor on the 15th and start my liquid diet on Dec 9th. How much overall weight do you have to lose? I have about 100 pounds.

You can also use my personal email at be_satisfied@live.com.

Hi guys first day post op in hospital. In addition to the bypass, I had a hiatal hernia repair. My surgeon said it was the largest one he's done. That said, having quite a bit of referred pain in my cheat, neck, shoulder and back. Been up walking since shortly after getting to my room last night. Am running low grade fever, which as a nurse, I realize is normal at times but sure amazes me feel yucky! Thanks for everyone's support! My hubby is 4 weeks post op so he has all types of Protein concoctions etcetera for me!

Hi guys first day post op in hospital. In addition to the bypass, I had a hiatal hernia repair. My surgeon said it was the largest one he's done. That said, having quite a bit of referred pain in my cheat, neck, shoulder and back. Been up walking since shortly after getting to my room last night. Am running low grade fever, which as a nurse, I realize is normal at times but sure amazes me feel yucky! Thanks for everyone's support! My hubby is 4 weeks post op so he has all types of Protein concoctions etcetera for me!

@@Janrn91 I am so glad to hear your surgery went well! Cant believe you had such a huge hernia! I'm glad. The surgeon was able to take care of it! Still thinking of you! Please keep us updated!

I have my pre op class on Dec 3rd. I meet with the doctor on the 15th and start my liquid diet on Dec 9th. How much overall weight do you have to lose? I have about 100 pounds.

You can also use my personal email at be_satisfied@live.com.

I start my 2 week liquid diet on the 9th too. I have about 150-185 pounds to lose. Its going to be a long process, but I am so ready! :-)

I already had my pre op class. I still have to meet with my surgeon, my appointment is on December 18th. I start my pre op diet on the 14th, it's going to be a week from hell but worth it in the end! You girls can email me at stassie84@gmail.com.

I have my preop class and I meet with my surgeon all on the 8th and will start my 2 week liquid diet on the 9th. My bmi is about 58, so definitely need to do that. Its going to be so hard, but yes so so important!!

Hi is the purpose of the pre op diet to lose weight or to shrink the liver? Or both

Hi! They do that because your liver hangs over your stomach, so they need to move it out of the way. The smaller it is the easier it is to move. So the diet shrinks the liver and makes you lose weight to help shrink it as well. Very very crucial!! :-)

Hi ladies. My date is just slightly off from yours, Dec 29th. Thanks also to all the advice that everyone on this thread has shared.

A couple more tips to add - buy some small storage containers. Target has 1/4 cup disposable ones with lids - about 50 or so for only around $3. You will need them for all your small portions and leftovers.These have been great and are a lot cheaper than the Ziploc brand.

Be sure and talk to your PCP or surgeon before surgery about any Rx you are taking now that need to be changed to a liquid or crushable form. Anything that is extended release will probably need to be changed. Buy a pill cutter and/or crusher. I discovered my crushed pills still taste REALLY nasty in applesauce, but sugar-free chocolate pudding cups hide the tastes pretty well, so I am glad I had some of those on hand. I use just a tablespoon and divide the rest up into little containers for the next pill times.