Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I am 5 weeks post op and I am struggling to eat enough in a day - looking for some tips.

Supposed to eat 3 meals and 2 Snacks a day. I can barely eat 3 meals let alone snacks. I know I am not eating enough or getting enough Protein and I cannot stomach the taste of any Protein shakes since surgery. And unfortunately getting the juice type Protein Shakes where i live in Canada isn't possible.

How do you get in enough food?

I am hardly ever hungry and just spend my day struggling to get in fluids.

Help!

Luckily, they only want you to TRY to get all this in. They do know that at this stage, it is only a goal and you most likely will have to slowly build up to it. Don't stress, just do the best you can.

I am 5 weeks post op also and doing the same thing. I can't find any Protein Shakes I like. I just try to eat and drink little more each day.

3 weeks out and if I just didn't have to eat I'd feel great. 1st priority, meds which are ground to powder and hidden in 2 oz of cream of wheat, applesauce or sugar free pudding. Next, Vitamin supplements - chewable and good from GNC. Then starts the daily struggle to get the Protein. I can't possibly get 80 g, going to meet with the NUT today to see how I can get more protein in.

I am about 4 months post op RNY and rarely, it ever have Snacks in between my meals. Getting the Protein in daily does get better and easier. Even though I am completely on solid foods at this point I usually have Protein pudding in the morning for Breakfast. I had 3 scoops of Protein Powder to instant sugar-free pudding made with skim milk. I can get 5 or 6 breakfasts out of one box and should have about 16 grams of protein per serving.

I focus on first getting my Water in daily, then my Vitamins, then protein. I do try to get about 60-70 grams in daily from 3 meals and find that if I do this, I get a sufficient amount of calories in daily. Every program is a bit different. I live by the "I'll figure out what works best for me" plan and it has worked so far.

Best of luck!!

Edited by tamg26k

Tomorrow I will be 3 weeks post op and I struggle. What I've learned from everyone on here is that all you can do is the best you can. According to my pureed diet plan I'm supposed to try and get in 3 meals, a snack, 2 Protein Shakes and 6-8 cups of Fluid besides the shakes. I'm no where near that. All I can manage is 2 meals of 1/4 cup Protein 2 shakes and 1-2 cups of fluid. Do the

best that you can. Just stay hydrated. I had beginning signs of dehydration and that day I felt like total crap. Drink those fluids!

Do the best you can. I agree with Cindy, staying hydrated is very important.

Thanks for the advice and encouragement everyone. I'll try not to beat myself for doing the best I can right now.

As long as you are hydrated, it will be fine. I am now 10 months out, and have to be diligent about NOT overeating. Enjoy this time , and keep loosing. There is definitely a "honeymoon period", then you will be battling the same demons as you did in the "old days". Good luck

I'm only four days post op and I started crying when I realized how much I needed to eat. I get overwhelmed and full just taking my pills and drinking Water. I'm slowly getting better, made some super runny instant chocolate pudding with vanilla Protein Powder. Tastes a bit like a frosty from Wendy's. I'm struggling with 3-4 sips of broth and 2-3 tiny bites of Jello. I'm trying to increase every day though and have been walking like crazy. Im trying to make some Protein pudding pops in my freezer right now because I do the best with sugar free Popsicles so I'm hoping the cold will also help with that.