Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The only good thing about having a colonoscopy...

...is what I weigh this morning. I had the procedure yesterday and the prep was awful as many of you probably know. I didn't weigh myself yesterday...just felt too miserable to care but after having some food last night and a good night's sleep, I got on the scale a few moments ago just to see a number I'll never see again and sure enough, I weigh 114 1/2 lbs. I know that won't last, but it's fun to see none the less.

Good for you getting the test. It's a nasty nuisance but saves lives. I know a man whose life was saved by early detection. They found colon cancer and he has been through two surgeries so far but is doing well now.

Yeah, the prep is not pleasant. I had one a week ago, and was miserable the whole day. But it is great to clean out, and (even if momentary), see the number on that scale drop to an all time low :D

I had one and they found pre-cancerous polyps, and got rid of them all. Now I have to get one every three years. I'm ok with that.

The actual good thing about colonoscopies is that they detect cancer and save lives and give those of us who have family histories of colon cancer great peace of mind.

It is a very uncomfortable prep and procedure but it is well worth the agony. Thankfully I had no issues that were found as a result.

On the flip side, a very good friend of mine tried to have a colonoscopy, once by the routine method (of conscious sedation) and the next day had to have full anesthesia to try to pass the scopes. Neither worked. Had it not been for a doctor on top of it, her colon would have burst. It's not just cancer that can foul up your intestines. My friend had both chronic and acute diverticulitis, and they wound up having to remove over 25 inches of her colon due to blockage from the inflamation. My friend had ignored warning signs of not being able to have a bowel movement without resorting to using laxatives. She's lucky to be alive and not having to have a colostomy bag.

I'm a firm believer in the benefit of this exam, just like I think mammograms should be offered to women at ages lower than 40. Another friend was diagnosed with Stage 3 breast cancer (almost was at Stage 4) when she was 38. Even though she's gone thru hell and back, she is a trooper and has completed several years of the 3-day Breast Cancer walks. She's now 60 years old and her cancer has been in remission for the last 16 years.

Yeah....I realize this is an important test. I can be flip about it because nothing of consequence was found. :)