Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Like many I have always had a weight problem. Chubby kid, that grew into a chubby teen and eventually turned into a morbidly obese adult. The one thing different is I always thought I was cute. I was't ashamed of my curves and had an active and happy social life. However in my 40's things started to change. I got uterine cancer and was told that excess weight could put me in a line for a recurrence. I would diet on and off, losing and gaining 30 - 50 lbs each time. I was a frequent exercisers but slowly things like walking became more of a challenge. At 45 I had a wake up call. I got a severe bout of facial shingles that completely knocked me on my butt. I promised then and there to do better for myself. I joined a gym, began working out and once again lost 35lbs. Then I got sick again and regained it all plus 10 more. I have multiple allergies and between that and the after effects of older illnesses, I was on a cycle of get better, get sick, regain. A friend of mind had GPS and did really well. I decided to investigate for myself. I looked at 2 local hospitals programs, gathered my information and decided between the GPS and the sleeve. I decided the sleeve was for me and went with my friend's doctor. My process couldn't have been easier. They provided me with a binder that listed all the testing I needed to have done.The doctor sent in the request for authorization to my insurance company ( I was approved on the first request). I didn't have to lose any weight pre-surgery. They quite literally walked me through the whole process. I had a vena cava filter placed as a precaution and on 09/18/14 I had the gastric sleeve done laproscopically. Hospital course was a breeze. I was walking in recovery. In fact I had to pee and they asked if I wanted a bedpan or could I walk. I opted to walk. I had to go so bad, I practically ran into the bathroom and the nurses laughed. I was in the hospital for 2 days. Only mild pain, no worse than a bad cramp and not gas pains at all. They arranged a visiting nurse since I live alone. She discharged me after my 2 week follow up since I was doing so well.

I am 6 weeks post op. I'll be having my vena cava filter removed as soon as possible. So far I'm down 32lbs and feeling great. My biggest challenges are being a vegetarian with food allergies on an already limited diet, but I am making it work! Best decision I ever made. In fact, I wish I had done this sooner.

Hi. Congratulations on your decision and your weight loss. May u have continued success.

Blerdgirl, thank you for posting. I am sorry for your previous health challenges, but so grateful that you posted. It is such an inspiration to read that you have been able to overcome. Thank you.

Thanks so much for the encouragement. I don't feel bad about my previous health issues. I learned valuable lessons from them. When my allergies became bad I started keeping a food journal. It helped me kick sodas, and processed foods. The journey also helped me identify my food intolerances as well. The arthritis in my knee lead me to joining a gym Water aerobics kept me active and my knees flexible. Even though I was big, I could still walk long distance and I no longer limped. All in all I like to think these things also led me to making the decision regarding the sleeve.

Edited by Blerdgirl

You are ahead of me with the sleeve. I will have mine done on the 17th. Keep posting and I will follow you. You can be my guinnea pig. LOL

Thank you for sharing, I was sleeved today mild sleeve pain but as pains galore, hoping for a bit of relief!tomorrow

Will be watching/following your road to success

Thanks for sharing. I go in for surgery on Thursday.

Do you have a history of DVT's? Is that why they did the IVC filter? I work in the medical device field, so I find this stuff interesting!

Thanks for sharing. I go in for surgery on Thursday.

Do you have a history of DVT's? Is that why they did the IVC filter? I work in the medical device field, so I find this stuff interesting!

I think just a a precaution. I have no history of DVT's and my veins were all clear on scan. Hope your surgery goes well!

Thank you for sharing, I was sleeved today mild sleeve pain but as pains galore, hoping for a bit of relief!tomorrow

Will be watching/following your road to success

Thankfully I was sleeved laparoscopically so no gas pains for me. Just keep walking and you'll be fine!

That's how they do it laparoscopically is they blow u up with gas walk walk walk. It super sucks. But that's all u can do.

I didn't have any gas pains. I was up walking in recovery.

I was too! They were all shocked. But I only had minor gas pains, I'm a nurse and was determined to beat the gas! I made hubby go home at bed time and got up the day after surgery and showered and was dressed ready to go home by the time hubby got back!

Hey there

You wouldn't happen to be a part of No meat Athletes' Academy would you?

Not yet. I follow them on Facebook, but I'm not in shape enough to join just yet. It's one of my goals.