Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Muscle loss....Gym question

I've already searched previous posts but wanted more feedback (recent) as well.

So I went to the gym and got my body weight checked according to BMI, body fat, muscle and etc. Turns out I'm losing muscle and need to gain muscle (and obv body fat as well). So the trainer made a plan for me, basically cutting down my cardio (b/c that's all I've been doing lately). The plan is: 2x's a week cardio (I LOVE body combat and Zumba), and lifting/weights 3x's a week, with 2 days off.

Has anyone started lifting and cut down cardio? I know I should have been lifting but it's kinda boring, need to get back in to the groove.

Would love to hear your thoughts/experience as well.

Thanks

Congrats on doing so well so far on your plan so far! Your current weight shows at 160 and your goal looks like it is 125. Cutting out the cardio and adding lifting is not going to get you to your goal weight quickly. People are taught that building muscle burns fat, which it totally does and it is good for you, but when your goal is to hit a certain weight, that being 125, the more you cut out cardio and add lifting, the less you are going to lose. I was really stuck around 166...as soon as I added more cardio that incorporated some strength moves (my boxing class is a lot of running with pushups and squats and such), the quicker I dropped and the more I toned. I've used trainers in the past when I was around that weight and purely lifting weights as opposed to doing a lot of cardio does absolutely nothing for me in terms of weight loss. I'm really big on the number on the scale and if you want to be 125, you can't have the muscular structure that someone who is building at 160 is going to have especially if you're building that muscle through lifting instead of through active movement like you would get in a plyometrics class or something. If you look at the Biggest Loser, they have plenty of weight work, but everything is offset with a ton of cardio. So...not do diss your trainer by any means, because he (or she) was taught to preach the value of lifting, but from someone who was at your weight and has a goal close to yours, I don't feel that dropping cardio off that much is going to help you. :)

As a funny note, I always thought that I had to workout hard to lose weight, which is what I did the first part of my weight loss. Then I had plastic surgery and couldn't work out for almost 8 weeks and I dropped 16 pounds, some of which was very likely muscle. It made me realize there was no way I was ever hitting my goal of 129 if I didn't first get there and then start building muscle.

Good luck!

Thank you for writing such a long and detailed response! Yes, you do have a point. My weight has been stuck for a few weeks right now, but none of my pants fit anymore and have cut down on taking meds so it's inches (at least that's what it feels like).

I didn't tell the trainer about my WLS because she started freaking out when I told her I was diabetic so I left it at that. It was a free session from the gym anyways. So do you think it would be better to do lift weights once a week and stick to cardio the rest of the time? In the past (prior to WLS), weights would make more of a difference in my body but everything is changed now.

I'm going to ask my bariatric doctor his thoughts as well when I see him next time. Btw - how often do you work out?

I've been seeing a personal trainer and he says that I should do cardio - at least 30 mins 4 times a week - and also do strength training 2-3 days a week. I'm still getting into the rythm, and frankly my work schedule hasn't allowed for that much gym time, but I try... I've been doing strength a couple days a week usually and cardio three days - but usually do both on the same day so no more than 3-4 gym days a week.

If you do an intense leg workout (strength) you shouldn't do cardio afterwards, but if you just do upper body arms/abs, and/or just a little legwork you can do cardio right after.

@@bluesclues, to add to the others, do cardio 3-5 times a week and weights 2-3 times a week. A trick to prevent muscle loss is to drink or eat Protein within 1 hour after exercising. It has worked for me. I exercise in the morning on an empty stomach and drink my Protein Shake after my workouts. In the past, my trainer told me to do cardio for 10 - 15 minutes to warm up the muscles, then do the weights and finish off with cardio. Apparently, the muscles stretch/work better when they are warmed up. I do elliptical at home 3-4 times a week. I am starting the gym on Monday to take group classes and work on my muscles. Good luck!

Edited by Galaxy Girl