Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

second thoughts about the surgery :(

I have not yet been approved for the surgery im waiting on that but im getting extreme anxiety about the surgery its self.....all the scary stuff like what if something goes wrong!??? im second guessing myself....can anyone ease my mind and how did u get thru it if anyone has had these same fears please help!

It's completely normal! We all got cold feet before surgery. If you have a reputable surgeon and hospital, the chances of something going wrong is %5 or lower. I'll bet most of us would say that the last thought we had before going under was, "It's not too late to back ou.....zzzzzzzzz." Good luck!

Make a list of the possibilities if you have the surgery. Now make a list of possibilities if you don't. Don't forget to list all the negative health issues. Take a look at the possible effects of diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol on the internet. I don't mean to be a prophet of doom, but I am pretty sure the odds of me dying from complications of obesity far outweigh the odds of me dying from complications of WLS. Good luck with your decision.

Edited by haleytrim

I think everyone freaks out before surgery. You think of all the bad things that can happen. Try and concentrate on all the good thats coming out of it. I dont regret my sleeve for 1 second. At first it was hard and i had some doubts about did i do the right thing but yes i did. Youll b ok try and think positive

I had cold feet in the pre op holding area. my heart rate went up while I was sitting there, lol. I even told my husband to get my clothes. I had my surgery 4 weeks ago today. I am feeling great today. My blood pressure is back to normal. I have lost over 40 pounds including the 2 week pre op diet. It is completely normal to get cold feet.

Haleytrim nailed it! Will you be better off with or without it? Don't let fear make your decision for you.

Honestly, if you weren't second guessing such a life changing decision I would be much more worried. Remember what brought you to this decision and why you worked so hard to get insurance approval and you will know you made the right choice. Any change can be feared, but the right changes you know in your heart they are good. Hang in there and keep your eye on the prize. You are working for a healthier future!

i also have these moments of panic. this is what my surgeon said to calm me down:

there is always a possibility of something going very wrong with this surgery. but the probability of something going very wrong is less than 2%. i will treat you like a dearly loved family member on that table and do my absolute best to give you the utmost care i can.

that helped me to feel better tremendously. i know that i have had emergency surgeries on my digestive tract in the past without even taking a single health test, let alone the 10+ i've taken for this surgery! so that helps me to be encouraged also.

and last but certainly not least, is i always think to myself...if i back out of this now, in 10 years, when i am probably full blown diabetic and struggling with sleep apnea at almost 300 pounds, will i wish i had taken this opportunity now, while i am only on the borderline of some serious conditions and young enough to live out an awesome life looking and feeling the way i truly want to?

everytime i think about that...i sober right up and know that this surgery is right for me. for YEARS i have struggled with my weight and self image. NOW, i am struggling with my weight, self image AND my health. i don't want to waste any more YEARS of my life WISHING i looked better, WISHING i felt better, WISHING i was this, or could do that. i want to be the BEST me i can be, and like my doc says, "there's no time like the present."

good luck, you will be just fine! congratulations and much success to you on your journey!

thank u so much to everyone who commented on this it has made me smile and think of the positive this site has helped me in so many ways and having strangers give such encouragement to me like im family is so supportive and im thankful :)

It is normal to have these feelings. I had them too, for the two weeks before my surgery I was such a mess. It was like back and forth, it was all starting to become so real. I had days where I would just start crying and saying to myself "WHAT am I about to do???"...my friends and my family and my boyfriend all helped me get thru it, and before I knew it, it was the morning of my surgery, which was a week ago today. I got up, I was all good, I was excited and ready to go. I sat in the waiting room, and then I had to be brought back to the holding rooms. Right away my nerves started, I had to go to the bathroom. I came back and they put the iv in, and that's when I started freaking out. I was so nauseous, I thought I was going to get sick right there. My heart was pounding. The anesthesiologist came in and gave me an anti nausea patch behind my ear and they put something in the iv for my anxiety. I calmed down and the next thing I knew I was in recovery, and I am so happy I went thru with it today. You will be fine, just keep thinking positive thoughts :)

thanks so much this helps a lot im still far away from approval as my papers were just turned in yesterday and I have Medicaid so it could be a long wait :( but im anxious and nervous but im totally thinking of the positives :) glad you are doing well and good luck on your journey :)

I just want to add one thing: my amazing, beautiful, intelligent mother faced obesity her whole life. She was diabetic, had congestive heart failure, her knees were so gone that she was confined to a wheelchair. She was totally disabled. She needed help with basic care. Strangers made cruel comments to her. She meant the world to me. I don't ever want to endure what my beloved mother faced. Her life was hell. Please don't let it happen to you.