Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 weeks post op and able to eat 1 small skinless drumstick and thigh in one sitting? Is this normal?

Hello everyone -

So...I am a little concerned. I had my surgery on Oct 9th, and after 1 week on liquids and 2 weeks on full liquids, I have been cleared by my Doctor to eat soft foods (including chicken) today, I ordered (2) pieces of grilled chicken from KFC, it was a small drumstick and a decent size thigh. My concern is I was able to eat both of them at one sitting...well...maybe not all of the thigh but most of it. I did not have any sides just the chicken. I was also able to eat a whole over medium egg this morning - I have to say I was excited about that. Is this normal? I am also able to take big drinks of Water at a time as well, especially ice cold Water. Sometimes it bothers me a bit, but for the most part it doesn't, it this normal?? A little worried, I am over doing it.

How long did it take you to eat the chicken?

I am 6 weeks out tomorrow and still can only manage a few bites of chicken or ground turkey.

Someone said short people have more restriction so maybe I fall into that category.

I didn't realize I was eating it like normal until I was already on the thigh and then all of a sudden I stopped and was in shock and started slowing down and chewing more slowly. I think about 20-25 minutes if that.

I just look at your height and we are the same height...should I be even more worried now?

All of our sleeves are different. Mine just can't tolerate chicken and turkey that well yet. I had to literally shave chicken breast down to eat it.

I know there are some things I can eat more of like yogurt and I can gulp Water no problem.

If it was juicy chicken it probably went down easier lol

The ironic this is. When I opened the box to the chicken I looked at it and had a talk with it. I said...now chicken, don't you give me any trouble going down. I have been very patiently waiting to taste, chew, and fill my tummy with the Protein you provide. I was trying to be funny, but the darn thing listened!! Or maybe it was the prayer I said just before I started eating. lol. In any case, I was able to eat it and didn't get sick, and now here I am worried and writing about it. I didn't even think about the bones. The thigh was pretty boney :)

I am so happy to hear others are able to gulp too. I was really dreading having to possibly wait a year or longer without being able to gulp.

When I worked at KFC we had to pick the leftover chicken for the potpies...now that I think back there isn't much meat on a thigh or leg. Honestly it was probably less than 2 ounces of that.

@@Tired_of_being_Tired, I was able to eat a whole egg at week two. I start on soft foods this coming Saturday, so I'll see how I do w/ the chicken.< /p>

Truthfully, I sometimes feel like I can eat more than the 1/2 cup portion I'm allowed, But I make myself stop. I'm hoping when I start on the soft stage I'll feel more of a restriction.

@ Kathy812, I feel the same way, like I can eat a little more. but the good thing is, I do stop once I start feeling full. my chicken was dark and soft and went down easy, thank goodness. I hope u have a good experience when you have yours :)

In the future, weigh and measure all your food before you eat and do not go over your allotted portion size. At your stage, that should be no more than 2 ounces per meal. Even if you don't feel 'full' after that two ounces, stop. Undereating your sleeve will serve you much better.

To answer your question: its hard to know if I could have eaten that at a few weeks out, since I didn't see the size of the food (and as someone said, the bones take up more room than you think). However, I do remember at 3 weeks I was still on purees and could only eat maybe 1/4 cup if I ate it slow enough. I don't know who told you 1/2 cup per meal at your stage, but that's not correct. You shouldn't eat that much until about month 6.

I think you're doing fine, Tired. Three weeks out and I was also ready for food and starting to tolerate.

You should continue talking to your food and telling it to behave. :) (I liked that.)

I should start talking to my food also. At 3 1/2 months out it takes me 1/2 hour to eat 1 chicken leg, and I am stuffed!

I agree that it's better to eat a bit less than you could, rather than to take in as much as you can handle at this stage.

Better for the sleeve, better for your weight loss, etc.... If it's hard for you maybe just order either the leg or the thigh next time rather than both? Just a suggestion.

At 6 weeks out I ordered a 4 pc grilled chicken nuggets at Chick fil A and was only able to actually eat three of them. They are quite small but I think they are white meat.

Good luck to you!