Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

HOW DO YOU COPE? MORE POST OP QUESTIONS

SURGERY TIME IS SOOON!!!

JUST GOT MY CARDIOLOGIST CLEARNECE LETTER TODAY!!! ( I HAVE PAROXYSMAL ATRIAL FIBRILLATION)

YOU GUYS HAVEE BEEN SO AMAZING IN ANSWERING MY QUESTIONS I HAVE SOME MORE!! I HAVE LEARNED SO MUCH FROM YOU AND WHAT TO EXPECT, YOUR EXPERIENCES ARE GIVING ME LOTS OF :WHAT TO EXPECT: STRENGTH! THANK YOU.

1) HOW DID YOU KEEP YOUR ENERGY LEVELS UP DURING YOUR RECOVERY TIME?

2) HOW MANY OZ OF Fluid IS RECOMMENDED TO DRINK POST OP TO PREVENT DEHYDRATION?

3) STAYING HYDRATED THE FOLLOWING WEEKS IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN CALORIES, WITH THAT BEING SAID---WHICH FLUIDS HELPED YOU OUT? PEDIALYTE? GATORADE?

4) HOW DID YOU FIGHT/GET OVER YOUR NAUSEA BOUTS?

5) CAN YOU WALK AS SOON AS YOU GET HOME (IN MODERATION OF COURSE) AFTER SURGERY?

THANK YOU FOR YOUR ANSWERS EVERYONE!

I am a week out and find i need frequent rests. i am walking 2 miles a day but it is split up throughout the day. I had really bad nausea on day2-4 and they treated with Zofram and compazine around the clock. hop that helps, and Congratulations!

In response to your questions:

1. I just kept moving. I felt miserable the first week or two but I had work to get done. Lol, when there's a will there's a way. Keep up with your Protein and Fluid intake, and realize you're going to feel crummy, but it will pass. One day at a time and each day will get better.

2. I'm not sure on this- def ask your doctor. I just tried to drink a normal amount and the only thing that worked for me was to use a straw. My doctor cleared this for me, but not all doctor's do. Just taking regular sips hurt my throat and felt like I was swallowing chunky rocks...it was unpleasant. The straw made it much easier to drink and I never had any issue with gas, which is the main reason they advise you not to use a straw.

3. I used the Propel Water because it has almost no calories and the Gatorade light version.

4. Phenergan is amazing. Ask your doctor for the suppository version. Gross, yes, but when you're puking everything up, it is really wonderful to have a suppository that makes you feel better in 20 minutes.

5. I could physically walk the day of surgery, I just had no desire to do so. The more you walk, the better you feel. It is truly miserable nausea wise, but it doesn't physically hurt to walk. Walk as much as you can and you'll not only feel better but you'll help to move all the extra air out of your stomach, so your shoulder and chest won't hurt as much.

Good luck!

1. There is nothing you can do to keep your energy levels up anywhere close to "normal". You are going to be dog tired for a while, healing takes so much out of your body but each progressive day will get better than the last. The "wave of energy" didn't pick up for me until I started to drop serious weight, like week 6 -8, but everyone is different.

2. I was shooting for 64 oz a day, but really I just kept sipping as much as I could get in, and got worried/diligent when my urine got any darker. That Water bottle will go with you EVERYWHERE.

3. Some people swear by drinks with electrolytes in them like those you mentioned or coconut Water. I don't think they hydrate you any better than regular water, BUT some people myself included suffered with "water nausea" where the taste of pure water made me sick. I just used crystal light flavor to make it go down and stay down.

4. For nausea, I had the patch behind the ear and then onadestron or something, minty pills that dissolve on your tongue. Killed it for me quickly and reliably.

5. I could walk the day of surgery, and the nurses and my husband had me up and walking at an annoyingly regular pace to get the gas out of my stomach cavity. You should walk as much as you can for gas and to normalize asap. However, that first week, a trip downstairs to the kitchen, then to the bathroom, then back up to the recliner in the bedroom was enough to make me feel beat. Expect to need to ask help for things like laundry, tidying up, meal prep, pet care, kid care, since you can't really lift anything more than 5 lbs or even bend over really. That was the difficult part to get used to at home.

Good luck to you!

I made it a point to stay on top of my anti-nausea meds and took them every 4 hours like clockwork (every time I took pain meds or liquid adult tylenol once I stopped the narcotics on day 3-4) and I never had any nausea at all.

Regarding liquids:

I drank G2 (low cal gatorade), Apple juice (good quality 100% juice), herbal tea (I used sleepytime), 1% milk (plain and mixed with premier shakes to thin out), no sugar added hot cocoa. The warm drinks were and are still easier for me.

I had pedialyte on hand for emergencies but only used a little as it's very sweet/sugary.

Hi Tiffany,

1. Your energy will come back gradually over the first 2-3 weeks. Protein will give you your energy now, instead of carbs. And magical B-12 supplements will help too!

2. 64+ ounces of Fluid per day. This will be hard to do at first, but keep at it. Fluids are even more important than Protein during the first couple of weeks to keep you hydrated and prevent Constipation. Speaking of which, it's a real risk. I'd suggest having some Miralax or something similar on hand in case you need it. Also, I take a Psyllium husk capsule twice a day. They're basically Fiber pills and Walmart has a store brand called Fiber Therapy. Haven't had a problem since week 1-2 once I got on them.

3. The calories will take care of themselves for a while. If you keep to your recommended program, you won't see 1,000 calories for months. 4 months out, I usually get 700-900 calories per day. For hydration I rely on Crystal Light sugar-free, Decaf iced tea (or generic). I bought myself two 24-oz. Tervis tumblers (and the separate handles) – one for work and the other for home. At work I drink one tumbler between Breakfast and lunch and one after lunch. Then at home, a drink another one after dinner. That's 72 oz. right there. Be sure not to drink for at least 1/2 hour before and after meals, though.

4. I didn't have much of a problem with nausea, but I did have discomfort in my stomach for several weeks after surgery, especially when I ran out of the Protonix (or generic) stomach pills the doc sent me home with. Once I got back on them, that took care of the discomfort.

5. Walk early and often! They will get you out of your hospital bed shortly after surgery to get you to walk. Do it! It's hard at first, but midway through the night it gets easier. Keep it up when you're at home recovering. Go for several walks a day. At first they may just be a few hundred feet, but gradually increase the distance. About 3 weeks out, I was walking 2 miles almost every day with no problem.

Assuming you don't have complications, as long as you do what you're supposed to and make good choices, you'll be successful. Good luck!

1) HOW DID YOU KEEP YOUR ENERGY LEVELS UP DURING YOUR RECOVERY TIME?

You can't -- you'll be tired. You can work on gradually getting your energy levels back to normal by hitting your hydration and Protein goals, resting and napping when you are tired, and being active when you are awake and not so tired.

2) HOW MANY OZ OF Fluid IS RECOMMENDED TO DRINK POST OP TO PREVENT DEHYDRATION?

Check with your team for their recommendation. My team has us at a minimum of 64 ounces per day.

3) STAYING HYDRATED THE FOLLOWING WEEKS IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN CALORIES, WITH THAT BEING SAID---WHICH FLUIDS HELPED YOU OUT? PEDIALYTE? GATORADE?

All fluids count towards your hydration. I drank a lot of G2 (Gatorade has too many calories and carbs), Powerade Zero, broth, Protein shakes, V8, and diluted/light fruit juice.

4) HOW DID YOU FIGHT/GET OVER YOUR NAUSEA BOUTS?

I didn't have any nausea. Not everyone does.

5) CAN YOU WALK AS SOON AS YOU GET HOME (IN MODERATION OF COURSE) AFTER SURGERY?

I was up and walking 90 minutes after surgery. Spent two days in the hospital and when I came home I was doing slow walks around the neighborhood, very short distances at first. Everyone is different in their recovery.

A very friendly tip -- when you use ALL CAPS in online conversations, many people regard that as SHOUTING and find it off-putting.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU FOR YOUR REPLIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I TAKE NOTES AND WILL REMEMBER ALL OF YOUR ADVICE FOR WHEN MY TIME COMES TO BE SLEEEVED. I APPRECIAE IT ALL. :)