Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi sleevers. So, I've just been thinking a lot since I found out my surgery time is coming up sooner than I originally thought. I want to be prepared as best as I possibly can, so I'm thinking out loud here I guess.

My dietician told me I really need to start experimenting with Protein shakes and bars. So last week I found out that the Special K Protein Bars are pretty tasty. They contain about 8g of Protein in each bar. I've had strawberry, chocolate Peanut Butter and chocolate caramel.

I also discovered my newest and favorite Protein Drink. The drink is called Rockin' Refuel - it says it's a protein fortified lowfat milk. they have vanilla, strawberry and chocolate. I've only tried the chocolate because I'm a huge chocolate lover and it is delicious! Tastes just like regular chocolate milk. It contains 20g of protein in the 12oz bottle. So I will definitely be stocking up on these.

I haven't tried any real Protein Powder yet. To be honest I'm a little afraid because I'm worried it will taste very chalky and have that definite taste of protein powder. Does anyone have any suggestions on which brands are best? I'm looking for something simple I can throw in a shaker and mix with fat free milk when I'm on the go.

Has anyone tried the Isopure drinks? I'm very interested In those because they have 40g of protein. How do they taste? What about good tea's or other drinks?

I'm also struggling with Breakfast. I'm always in a rush in the mornings to get out the door. I now know I can grab a protein milk, but what have you all found is easy and very quick in the mornings that has a good amount of protein? I'm a meat eater so I get tired of oatmeal and breakfast bars but I also don't want to eat something like a sausage biscuit, lol. That would ruin the purpose.

Since I know I will be losing weight rapidly, I've thought about going to thrift stores to find some clothing in a variety of sizes to prepare myself. I guess there's no real point in buying anything brand new right after surgery because I won't be able to wear it too long. Has anyone else done this?

Will I need a liquid multi-Vitamin or will the Gummy kind be ok even while on the liquid diet? I suppose I will just crush my other medications and eat them in applesauce?

Any other tips on what I should do or buy to get prepared are appreciated!

So last week I found out that the Special K Protein bars are pretty tasty. They contain about 8g of Protein in each bar. I've had strawberry, chocolate Peanut Butter and chocolate caramel.

That's a really small amount of protein for 170 calories and 25 carbs IMO. I guess it depends on what your plan calls for but personally I would not touch with those with a 12 foot pole.

I haven't tried any real Protein powder yet. To be honest I'm a little afraid because I'm worried it will taste very chalky and have that definite taste of protein powder. Does anyone have any suggestions on which brands are best? I'm looking for something simple I can throw in a shaker and mix with fat free milk when I'm on the go.

You can get samples here:

http://www.nashuanutrition.com/store/protein-powders/protein-powder-samples-1-serving.html

and here:

http://www.jayrobb.com/protein/whey-protein-samples.asp

and from powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury, just Google Unjury Starter Kit.

My favorite brands/flavors are Chike (especially the iced coffee), Unjury chocolate splendor, Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard, Jay Robb whey Isolate, Syntrax Matrix, and Syntrax nectar Sweets. If you do decide to experiment with powders, make sure that you sample something after surgery before you decide to buy a whole tub or bag. What you like or even tolerate before surgery may very well change after surgery.

Has anyone tried the Isopure drinks? I'm very interested In those because they have 40g of protein. How do they taste?

Isopuke is a love it or hate it kind of thing. I guess you can tell I'm in the "hate it" camp. That said, I drank a lot of it in the first several weeks after surgery. At that point it wasn't about whether I liked something, it was about whether I could choke it down and if it helped me meet my nutritional goals. Isopuke is good for nutritional goals. To me it has a really strong taste and a weird, slimy and yet dusty texture. I had to mix it 50/50 with G2 or Powerade Zero to choke it down. Some people love it though!

I'm also struggling with Breakfast. I'm always in a rush in the mornings to get out the door. I now know I can grab a protein milk, but what have you all found is easy and very quick in the mornings that has a good amount of protein?

Meat! I usually have sirloin romaine wraps for breakfast. I buy the precooked sirloin from Trader Joe's, heat up a couple ounces in the microwave, and then wrap it up in a romaine leaf with some mustard and sugar free pickle relish. tuna salad is good too. Or you can keep hard boiled eggs on hand.

Since I know I will be losing weight rapidly, I've thought about going to thrift stores to find some clothing in a variety of sizes to prepare myself. I guess there's no real point in buying anything brand new right after surgery because I won't be able to wear it too long. Has anyone else done this?

I get almost all my clothes from thrift stores and EBay. No point in buying in advance, though, since you don't know how fast you will lose or which parts of your body will shrink faster than others.

Will I need a liquid multi-Vitamin or will the Gummy kind be ok even while on the liquid diet? I suppose I will just crush my other medications and eat them in applesauce?

You should get specific guidance from your surgeon and pharmacist with respect to medications. My surgeon has us swallowing small pills immediately. If the pill is too big, then we get some sort of alternative such as liquid meds. No applesauce of any kind is allowed (too many carbs, not enough protein). Many meds cannot be crushed at all without ruining their effectiveness, so be sure to go over each medication in detail with the professionals.

My surgeon doesn't allow gummies -- chewables and liquids only. I was on liquid Multivitamin, as well as Iron and Calcium, for the first four weeks after surgery. After that I switched to chewable multi's and Iron tablets, but I stayed with the liquid Calcium since that seems to be the best option for me.

I actually love Isopure. I know I may be in the minority because most people don't care for the taste. I just bought three more 3 lb. jugs of it because it has helped me be successful so far. It has 50 grams of Protein in every 12 ounce serving. I mix mine with Water and don't mind the taste. Does it taste terrific? Not really. It's not something I would sip on for enjoyment. I drink it because it is doing great things for my body. It is the only Protein Drink I have found to also include Vitamins and minerals your body needs.

I was drinking a chocolate whey Protein powder mixed with milk before surgery. After surgery, it was too thick and rich. I don't think I'll ever return to drinking it again. Isopure is pricey, but you can get it for 55% off at puritan.com. I like the strawberry, vanilla, and mango so far. Also, isopure has zero carbs and sugar with 210 calories per 12 ounces.

Be sure to check the carbs, sugars, and calories on Protein Bars. I wouldn't buy too much food before surgery because you may find that you don't need it or want it. Good luck!

I have tried the Isopure if your talking about the ready-made bottles and I can't say they taste "good" but it's what I'm having after surgery next week if I can stand it. Premier protien is my favorite protien drinks so far they Sale them at wal-mart and sams ect... I like the Syntrax powder protien in fuzzy navel it's good and fruit flavored for when you get sick of the milky type drinks. I also like Lipton green tea with orange and Jasmine I drink it without sugar. The Quest bars are really good in cookie -n-cream and chocolate cookie dough. Of course this is all my taste preference. Hope that helps.

Hi sleevers. So, I've just been thinking a lot since I found out my surgery time is coming up sooner than I originally thought. I want to be prepared as best as I possibly can, so I'm thinking out loud here I guess.

My dietician told me I really need to start experimenting with Protein shakes and bars. So last week I found out that the Special K Protein Bars are pretty tasty. They contain about 8g of Protein in each bar. I've had strawberry, chocolate Peanut Butter and chocolate caramel.

I also discovered my newest and favorite Protein Drink. The drink is called Rockin' Refuel - it says it's a protein fortified lowfat milk. they have vanilla, strawberry and chocolate. I've only tried the chocolate because I'm a huge chocolate lover and it is delicious! Tastes just like regular chocolate milk. It contains 20g of protein in the 12oz bottle. So I will definitely be stocking up on these.

I haven't tried any real protein powder yet. To be honest I'm a little afraid because I'm worried it will taste very chalky and have that definite taste of protein powder. Does anyone have any suggestions on which brands are best? I'm looking for something simple I can throw in a shaker and mix with fat free milk when I'm on the go.

Has anyone tried the Isopure drinks? I'm very interested In those because they have 40g of protein. How do they taste? What about good tea's or other drinks?

I'm also struggling with breakfast. I'm always in a rush in the mornings to get out the door. I now know I can grab a protein milk, but what have you all found is easy and very quick in the mornings that has a good amount of protein? I'm a meat eater so I get tired of oatmeal and breakfast bars but I also don't want to eat something like a sausage biscuit, lol. That would ruin the purpose.

Any other tips on what I should do or buy to get prepared are appreciated!

I found 2 sites for Bariatric diet's...WonderSlim and Direct Diet.....good choice and not to high in price, they have a sale every week.

My NUT recommended the Bariatric Advantage Vitamins. She suggested taking 2 calcium citrate per day--- they are a pleasant caramel taste. I also take the Bariatric Advantage "Ultra Multi Formula with Iron". I take the calcium citrate in the morning and evening, and the multi-Vitamin in the middle of the day so the Iron and Calcium don't negate each other out.

2new, I am in your boat except I will say this stay away from the special K, and a lot of Protein drinks, they have tons of sugar which will just make you GAIN weight not lose it. Many many Protein powders and drinks are designed for weight gain not weight loss. Just because it is whey isolate doesn't mean its for you. Also Gummy Vitamins are almost all loaded in sugar, look more for the chewables, there are several that have the Calcium in them and Iron as well, and that dissolve fast.

For some taste tests you can if you wish check out my blog, I video tape all the products I am trying and ive tried many of them, and add at least 4 taste test per week, in video form. I also have a bunch of products coming from a company that saw my blog and wants me to taste test their products, I get no money at all here, I am actually making this blog into an ebook 1 year post surgery as an adjunct to help men get past the stigma of bariatric surgery.

if you are interested it is at http://cuttingthefatwithaknife.blogspot.com

Thank you all so much! these are all great things I need to know and I appreciate that you all are taking the time to give me your opinions. One thing I did think about and did worry about are all the calories in the Protein milks and Protein bars. I know a lot of them are made to cause you to gain some weight. One of my goals this week is to find a protein powder - mixed with fat free milk that would be a better choice, right? I'm also going to try Isopure but rather than stock up I'll be sure to only buy a couple to start. Maybe protein bars aren't a good choice at all? If there are so many empty calories. All great stuff I will take into consideration.

Just got sleeved a week ago so here are some of my suggestions:

You can get 15 packets of 15 flavors of Synthrax necture Protein powder. Cost is $15 plus $1.99 for s&h. To get it, you need to call 866-333-7403 x-800 on Monday to Friday, between 8a-5p (cst). They have super yummy flavors like fuzzy navel, grape, etc. Very good deal. The packets are 20 grams of Protein minimum and 5 carbs or less. You get a free shake bottle with them. Get them within 2 weeks. Found all Protein drinks are best very cold.

I love my liquid multi-vitamins: Eco Drink. Got it at costco. Helps me get my liquids in and my Vitamins at the same time. Best ice cold.

Got great calcuim chews at costco. Tastes like caramel/butterscotch. Kirkland brand.

Had to use Optifast for my 2 week pre-op liquid diet. Really liked the vanilla and chocolate and just used Water. Hated both the chicken Soup and Tomato Soups though.

If you don't have a food scale, buy one. Don't guess on how much you are eating.

I've found my taste has changed. You only a little food after surgery so don't stock up on much. After a few days, you can get more stuff if you need to.

When you get to solids a friend of mine who has lost 300 lbs in 18 months after the sleeve recommends Quest bars, but it took a long time to get to the point of eating bars. For a long time he could only eat half of it.

I do not know about others, but my weight loss team has outlawed all Protein bars because they just don't digest fast enough and can cause gastric discomfort and distress.

Like I said though check out my blog and my taste tests trust me it helps.

I am going to sign up for Gwynnie Bee. It's basically like renting clothes for a fee per month. I see no point in buying clothes, but I also have to continue to dress well professionally.

Thanks for the info, Steve and Glass. I just tried a Calcium chewable for the first time today and I am NOT a fan, yuck! I don't know if there is really an alternative though, so I may have to just deal with the taste :P I also did my monthly check in with my case manager today for my 5th month and everything is right on track! Along with my insurance changing the wait period from 12 months to only 6 months she also told me today that the psych evaluation is no longer needed. So I can cancel that appointment. One step closer!!!

Check with local support groups. My bariatric center has a free clothing swap. You bring in the stuff you shrink out of and swap it for someone else's stuff in your size.