Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was banded on December 29, 2006. I have since had 1 fill and managed to

lose 37 pounds. when I had my surgery I weighed 247 pounds. Even though

I have made such a serious decision to undergo this procedure I have always

feared that I would somehow undermine my desire to lose the unhealthy weight. well now I think I am beginning to do just that. I can't seem to get

a handle on my cravings I can be stuffed and still manage to eat whatever

I want. I have experienced pain from either eating to much or not properly

chewing my food. I would like to know if there is any advice on how to overcome this insatiable need to satisfy these cravings. I fear that this unhealthy mentality is going to get me in trouble.

37 lbs is awesome! Congratulate yourself and keep your head up! Don't dwell on what "could" happen if you stay on this road.

Try to change your outlook, set a goal to meet by the end of May (don't let your doubts get in the way). Something small, like drinking 10 glasses of Water a day.. or, set a limit on the amount of calories you consume in a day. Write it down, keep track if it. Little victories give you the encouragement to go on. You'll be losing without realizing it!

When was your fill? If you feel hungry between meals, it's a sign that you might need another fill. There may be a chance some of the saline leaked out. When you go in again they'll draw out what you have now, and if it's less ask them for the Omnipaque solution.

In my opinion, snacking is fine. Try to find some low in calories, put them in small snack baggies. Have one between breakfast/lunch, and one between lunch/dinner.

You CAN do this. Attitude is a big part of the equation. Think about success, that way you're not swallowed up by possible failure.

All the best,

Karla

Karla,

You are an inspiration! This is my first time on this forum and somehow I connected to you immediately! I was just banded Friday by Spivak and Dasha gave me a list of websites to take a look at. I have just started posting on the local Houston forum, but this one looks like so much more! It is so nice to see such encouragement! Thanks! sam

I know exactly how you are feeling. I was banded in June 06, 11 months later I am down 50 lbs. But I still need to lose another 40 to 50 lbs. The band is not a cure all you have to work at it. I know people who have lost 100lbs in a year. But I have eaten foods I shouldn't. This is a daily struggle. I'm hoping to get to exercise more and watch snacking. Good Luck!

I have been going through the same thing recently. But it sounds to me like you need another fill. As I keep getting fills, if I force myself to eat like you do, it really hurts - BAD! and eventually you have to stop. Sometimes we need to be forced to break the bad habits. I know I'm more cautious now when I feel like "binging" cause the few times I did I really paid the price. Try a fill if you can. But 37lbs since December is terrific! Don't give up. Keep trying everything.

Thanks for all of the advise I now understand that what I'm going through is not anything new. Although I probably will continue to struggle with the

bad habits I will keep in mind that change happens slooooowly. After all

I didn't wake up one morning and find myself suddenly weighing 206 pounds.

As far as another fill I had mine done back in April. Talk about making bad

decisions I came home and tried to eat chocalate cookies! Having written that I am begining to think that maybe I am afraid to lose the weight. Anyhow

I am in no big rush to have another fill. Right now I need to work on my attitude towards food. :eek:

It's called good old fashioned SABATOGE...I can't speak for everyone but I think I'm afraid to lose the weight too. I want to more than anything but I'm just afraid. I don't know why. Hang in there southernwoman - you're not alone. It took many many years to get heavy, it can't take overnight to lose it. Easier said than done I know. But at least we're blessed with having the tool to help us.

Sam - just banded Friday?? How are you feeling? I hope you're resting and not having too much trouble. In my opinion one of the best things about LBT is all of the Forums, even this far out I find many people I can connect with - no matter what stage we're all at. I also recommend finding a local group, Yahoo has many to chose from. I like HoustonAreaBandsters.

Southernwoman - Good insight; you're on the right track. A big turning point for me was when I began to think in terms of what I CAN eat, instead of everything I can't/shouldn't. I failed so many diets in the past because I was consumed with trying to stay away from the no-no foods. With the band, I can have a limited amt of those foods and be satisfied.

It takes me several hours in the grocery store when I shop, I read the nutrition labels and ingredients... I try to only buy the lowfat, low calorie, whole grain items. If I am looking for snack/lunch foods for my 10 yr old, I actually have to ask myself who will be more likely to eat it - ME or him? I've noticed myself NOT putting things in my basket because I'm much more aware.

It's not bad to have a few chocolate Cookies (maybe not immediately after a fill!)... moderation is the key. I find chocolate animal crackers to be my favorite snack these days. I don't often have a full serving, but if I did - 16 crackers = 120 calories, 3 gr fat, 2 gr Protein... In my opinion, it's not a bad choice for a midafternoon snack.

I hope LBT comes to be as big of a help to you both as it has to me.

Karla