Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual & Transgendered Bandsters

I just wanted to let everyone know that I have been approved by United Health Care for surgery. Now we are waiting on my wife's approval. It took less than a month to get approval. Now just have to giure out a date. Thanks to everyone on this and all threads for the help, advice, and support. Will keep you updated as to when I will be doing it.

Chris

Pre Band

St. Louis

Hey Edd,

Just wondered how your first day of liquids only went. I hope it was easy for you! You sound alot like me with the nervousness and all so I will be wondering how you do. Hang in there! Trisha

:clap2:

Trisha - My first day was actually easier then I thought possible. The second day is going well too. I am a very determined person and I am sure by the time I go in for surgery I will have lost several pounds. I am glad I am on the liquid diet because it will help prepare me (a little) for what is to come. Of course I say this now, but after a week of this, I might have a different mindset.

Stevee - Thanks for the update. It seems you really have to stay on some doctors or they will just take their sweet time. Please keep us posted on how things progress. Best wishes!

Chris61 - Congratulations!! I hope you get good news about your wife's approval soon.

update again ;) hehehe the girl from the psych's office called me back yesterday and said the doc submitted the report. then the surgeons office told me they sent it all off to BCBS and should have my approval in 7 days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi all. Just a quick check in.

Eddie, congrats on showing the world your fabulous chest :)

Stevee, good luck with everything.

Hope all are well. I've had 2 fills & everythings going fine... had a few sliming incidents.. ick !

Take care everyone !!!!

Restriction is something very new to me. HOLY COW, but over all it's all good.

Pamela, while PBing chicken and Broccoli the other day I thought of you. My first major PB since getting filled. That was something.

Wow!

So cool to finally find the queer folks...:)

I'm really really new around here, but have so far read a lot of useful info.

I'm scheduled for surgery 9/27, and I can't wait.

One of my few fears I have is that I'm the cook for the tribe--my partner and I have 3 young boys--and I KNOW I'm gonna have attitude issues when they'll be expecting me to make something edible for them and I have to drink my meals...argh...I'll get through it.

I love my partner dearly but she's pretty useless in the kitchen.

Hi Flipper.

Welcome. I didn't have to do much in the way of liquids but I'm really surprised at how easy it's been to feed me and my 6 year old. I don't expect her to eat like me but blending the edges has been helpful.

I know you're talking more about when you are doing liquids, after the first few days you should be able to not be too resentful. And if it gets too out of hand make her take them to a restaurant while you sleep or something. It's a short term in the big scheme of things.

Congrats on getting on with the process. With that said, where are you in the process?

My surgery is scheduled for 9/27...I had my EGD last Friday on

my birthday (woo hoo) and my psych evaluation on the 20th. I have

all the hospital exams on the 28th, see my doc on the 29th, see the internist 9/4, some other classes thrown in there somewhere...it's been a strange and speedy ride.

I've read numerous complaints re: insurance, and I've yet to have any snags in the process. I'm a federal BCBS member, and apparently (according to my Dr.'s office) I'm pretty much a "go" when it comes to being covered...so much so that they make the surgery date FIRST and then have you get all the other appointments squeezed in between.

I guess if you have a BMI of 40 or above, you're "in". We'll see.

Hi Flipper-I'm scheduled for the 27th also! I'm so excited. I haven't had to have a special diet other than "low fat" before hand. I've lost 26 lbs in the past month or so. I've been exercising and watching what I eat. I have UHC and they approved me in a week. Everything has been pretty smooth. We'll if that changes after Monday!! Anyhoo, good luck and keep us posted.

Hey family~

Been a crazy busy week...back to work w/ 2 jobs, and I am tired: it is gonna be a long year!

Juli~ Glad you have restriction, but sorry to hear about your first PB. I have not had one since Ptown, but have been stuck a few times. How are you? Susanne is here sitting next to me, I love it when she is here. I tend to eat bad when she is gone, and that is not good. She says hi to you and A!

Well, I was supposed to have my 3rd fill today. He COULDN'T FIND THE PORT. So I have to go to the hospital next Friday. He said he could feel the sides, but that perhaps it flipped. I am hoping that is not the case. I have no time to fix this now. And I am not losing. I am trying to stay positive, but man...this sucks. Anyway, I'll keep you all posted.

Welcome Donna and Flipper!!

peaceout

What is this, the week for band issues?? I had to go in yesterday for an emergency 2 cc unfill. I started vomiting (not just pbing unfortunately) yesterday morning. After the 5th time I decided I should call the doc's office. I thought I had a bug or something, but the doc seemed to think I was too tight. He was apparently right on that issue because immediately after the unfill I was able to hold Water down, something I had not been able to do all morning. The bad news is that it wasn't my regular doc (he was on vacay) - this doc doesn't do many fills. Can I just say OWWWW!! He had to fish around in me for four or five attempts. Finally he said "if I don't get it this time I'm sending you to the hospital for radiology to do it." Well, I'm not much for prayer, but I muttered a few at that point! He wound up hitting the port, but it HURT! I don't normally even flinch when I get a fill (with no lidocaine, mind you) but he even numbed me and it still hurt like a bitch. At any rate, I don't have much restriction now. I had a fill scheduled for the 11th so I'll probably wind up with just part of that unfill going back in.

On to more pleasant subjects. Hi Flipper & Donna! It's always good to see fresh meat, er, new folks! LOL! A while back, I mentioned a roll call...I think it's time for that. If everyone could just do a quick post with your name, location and band status. Let's do them as separate posts so they don't get lost within a longer post. I'll go first...

Eddie

St Johns, FL

Banded 5/17/2007

Edd

Tampa, Florida

To be banded on 09/04/07

Hey Flipper and Kat...good luck with your surgeries. Mine is on the 4th. I am looking forward to it.