Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need my gallbladder removed - nervous

Had pains below my breast bone and in my right shoulder three times and almost landed in ER because the pain was so bad. It took my breath away and lasted about 25 minutes. First time was about a month and a half ago and PA said my band was too tight and took half a cc out even though I only had 2 cc in it.

I had an attack last Thursday at work and one on Sunday and went to my doctor on Monday. The PA have me the song and dance about band issues and told me I may have a slipped band. I told I don't have the symptoms and I thought it was my gallbladder. She said she did not think so and scheduled am ultrasound and an EGD for same day. I told them no I was not doing the EGD till ultrasound came back.

So today I went to the doctor for the results and I have a bunch of stones and gallbladder wall is thickening. They are going to call me to set up my surgery date, but I so wanted to tell the PA "I told you so!" Sometimes we know our bodies better and I had no symptoms of a slipped band.

Really scared for the surgery and being put under. That always makes me so nervous. But glad I know the reasons for the pain now.

@@RedStorm I'm sorry to hear that you are going through a rough time. I wish the PA had listened to you and taken you for those tests on the first visit.

I am a big advocate of knowing my own body. No one lives in here but me and I know better what's happening to me than anyone else does.

I had a similar circumstance a few years ago long before I was banded. I was in excruciating pain and Dr.'s could not find a reason for it. I was not able to eat, and I was having difficulty going to the bathroom and I was doubled over in pain. Some days were worse then others and the condition kept getting worse and worse and worse to the point that I was in the ER on morphine drip. From there I begged two technicians to investigate what I felt the problem was. They did their "required" tests that the Dr. ordered and then delved a bit deeper as I had asked. It revealed what could possibly be the fallopian tube intermingled with my intestines, but nothing conclusive. So I went to my GYN and begged to remove the Uterus because I really felt that was the cause of my pain. Nothing I was tested for was definitive, so he agreed check it out (I know him a LONG LONG time and fully trust him) they went in and I had a sub-total hysterectomy. When I went for my follow up, he showed me exactly how right I was. The uterus was swollen the size of a 5 month pregnancy and full of Fluid, and the fallopian tube was ready to burst it was so full and all pressing against my intestines which was stopping up my digestion and causing a blockage and all that pain.

My husband always tells me the squeaky wheel gets the grease and I have learned since to squeal loudly when I think there is a problem and force people to listen to mew and address the problems.

I really hope you are feeling better soon!! I'll be thinking good thoughts for you, and I know your going to do great and start feeling better soon!

You've been under once, you'll be fine this time too!!

Glad they found what was wrong. You'll be healing nicely soon!!!

Gallbladder attacks suck. I had them for over a year before I was diagnosed. Mine didn't manifest in the "textbook" way because the pain was dead center of my chest, directly behind the breastbone and never to the right or in my shoulder. But they rendered me useless for up to four hours after eating. I would break out in a sweat (unusual for me), have a constant deep ache behind my breastbone, nausea and occasional diarrhea. I was so ready to have the surgery when they finally diagnosed me! I had a bad reaction to the pain killers but this is normal for me. My body hates opiates. The surgery itself wasn't bad at all. Mostly soreness. But I would 100% do it all over again. I haven't had any more attacks and it's been over 4 years since my surgery.

Edited by krisrpaz

Ill be perfectly honest. I also had to have my gall bladder out and it was the easiest surgery ever. I felt so much better I was back in the gym the next day regardless of the instructions lol. Im a nurse and I never listen but in all honestly it was a cake walk and I felt immediately better. My band was very tight the night following surgery so just take it easy with what you eat.

A very small surgery. I was feeling great after a few days and no more pain

Thank you everyone. I am hoping it is very easy! Guess I am nervous because a co worker just had it done and she was in horrible pain and throwing up for a week. She also said she did not feel normal for like a month. Hoping it is not like that for me.

Had my gall bladder out 6 weeks after my bypass. The anesthesiologist gave me an abdominal block to decrease the post op pain. It made such a difference. I was up and around right after surgery. If you are offered the block, do it.

Thank you everyone. I am hoping it is very easy! Guess I am nervous because a co worker just had it done and she was in horrible pain and throwing up for a week. She also said she did not feel normal for like a month. Hoping it is not like that for me.

That doesn't sound good. The only thing that wasn't "normal" for a while was finding out how much and what types of fats my body could handle. I found out sausage was a big no no. Even today eggs still cause some pain in what I now call my "gall hole". I'm guessing it is my bile ducts but it isn't too bad. A little stabby but not extreme. Maybe your coworker tried to jump into eating normally too fast?

well you had WLSsurgery already and its pretty much the same.

they went in right above my belly button (one small stitch)..

i had mine out several years ago..you will be fine..

dont wait as i had to have emergency surgery and that is no fun

I had mine take out in March 2013 and am doing well without the old gallbladder.