Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Rosie O’Donnell Makes Hurtful Comments About the Lap-Band on “The View”

I think it boils down to choice for me. There are many ways to lose weight all the way from tapeworms and amphetamines to mindful eating and living off the land with everything in between. As long as it is not illegal, it should be okay.

People need to research the solutions and make the best decisions for themselves. At the same time, if a procedure becomes less used or advised, it does not mean your choice was the wrong one. For example, I have no doubt Gastric Bypass (my choice) in the future (not too distant) will be thought of as an obsolete surgery, akin to a butter knife surgical approach to weight loss. It won't even take much to convince me, it already sounds barbaric to me. That does not mean my choice was wrong. However, I do sense a bit of defensiveness coming from the Lapband community after reading all the posts. Perhaps it's time to ask why? I think it is important to evaluate the issue because no doubt this will come up again. As we all know a defensive approach is never well regarded.

I refuse to get into an argument with anyone on which is best. I would never criticize toerhs opinions. Just remember, opinions are like butts, everyone has one!

But, on teh other hand, I don't liek Rosie O'donnell, so I would not go on her website to advise her that she has her own opinion, and she hasn't done such a great job losing wieght either!

Edited by kll724

"Ummmmm....can we just talk about the fact that everything she said is ABSOLUTELY CORRECT!?!? As someone who HAS done my research and has lived in the WLS world for quite some time now, she's correct. Half of lapbands ARE in fact removed, and the long term success rates of lapband are much less than that of gastric sleeve or RNY. Everyone is so freaking quick to get insulted these days and I wish you would just stop it already. She spoke her opinion, which by the way was riddled with fact after fact, and you guys all get your panties in a wad? Grow UP already.

There isn't enough long term data on the sleeve. My neighbor had the RNY, and after 8 years started gaining weight. She went in to have the band placed over the bypass. There is no hard fast rule on any of this. I've known a couple of people who gained all of their weight back after the sleeve. They just eat small amounts of junk food throughout the day. It doesn't matter what you choose.... If you lose your motivation, you can eat around, and gain weight with all of the surgeries. For me, knowing that, choosing to have most of my stomach removed permanently was not even an option.

I did extensive research before making my choice; left no stone unturned. I chose to have plication with the band, as a secondary source of restriction. It has worked out quite well, and at the one year mark my surgeon said that I could not have done any better with one of the other surgeries. And the reality is, with ALL of these surgeries, the big difference is the first 12-18 months. After that, people get used to whatever they got, and learn to eat around it......if they are so inclined.

Edited by mrsto

Let me just take a moment here to reiterate what some have already stated. WLS no mater the modality of it is all dependent on the patient. With the sleeve or bypass the results are faster and yes they are both restrictive and metabolic in nature and yet our bodies are a miracle of humanity and we can and do overcome and adapt. After that initial weight loss and shock the body can adapt and if eating habits, eating mechanics, attitude and life style changes are not been made the chances of regain in the long term are equal.

No one can say that one surgery is better then another. Recently I read a post by a patient who was diagnosed with Lupus. A lupus patient can not have such mal-absorptive surgeries as sleeve or bypass due to their condition which makes the lapband the perfect and only choice for such a patient.

No one of us is better or worse then the other. You can't say that people have not done their research, many of us who are banded have done more research then a college student writing a doctorate. I have my reasons for choosing the band and I have no regrets about it.

Making broad statements like those made by Rosie O'Donell in public forum only show her own ignorance and lack of empathy for the obese. Maybe she never saw her self as obese, but her health conditions, photo's and doctors tell another story all together don't they?

Don't knock those who are trying to make their lives better and become healthy. A smart intelligent woman would use her big mouth, comedic wit, and additional 5 minutes of fame to advocate for her comrades at large and open doors instead of shutting them as she did with her comments.

People who might have been thinking about getting help now maybe afraid that their "choice" is not the right one because some TV personality who has nothing better to do with her time but to cause controversy said it wasn't. She just called several Doctors who are banded, Lawyers, PHD's and people much smarter with higher educations then she has stupid.

Forest Gump had it right...stupid as stupid does aka Rosie O'Donelle.

All of these surgeries are life altering, expensive, and risky - I think many of us go through a process where we need to believe our choice is the best choice, or we might not do it at all. Her comment, divisive as it was among the WLS community, was nothing that we haven't seen right here on the forums.

Let me just take a moment here to reiterate what some have already stated. WLS no mater the modality of it is all dependent on the patient. With the sleeve or bypass the results are faster and yes they are both restrictive and metabolic in nature and yet our bodies are a miracle of humanity and we can and do overcome and adapt. After that initial weight loss and shock the body can adapt and if eating habits, eating mechanics, attitude and life style changes are not been made the chances of regain in the long term are equal.

No one can say that one surgery is better then another. Recently I read a post by a patient who was diagnosed with Lupus. A lupus patient can not have such mal-absorptive surgeries as sleeve or bypass due to their condition which makes the lapband the perfect and only choice for such a patient.

No one of us is better or worse then the other. You can't say that people have not done their research, many of us who are banded have done more research then a college student writing a doctorate. I have my reasons for choosing the band and I have no regrets about it.

Making broad statements like those made by Rosie O'Donell in public forum only show her own ignorance and lack of empathy for the obese. Maybe she never saw her self as obese, but her health conditions, photo's and doctors tell another story all together don't they?

Don't knock those who are trying to make their lives better and become healthy. A smart intelligent woman would use her big mouth, comedic wit, and additional 5 minutes of fame to advocate for her comrades at large and open doors instead of shutting them as she did with her comments.

People who might have been thinking about getting help now maybe afraid that their "choice" is not the right one because some TV personality who has nothing better to do with her time but to cause controversy said it wasn't. She just called several Doctors who are banded, Lawyers, PHD's and people much smarter with higher educations then she has stupid.

Forest Gump had it right...stupid as stupid does aka Rosie O'Donelle.

Well said, Lisa :)

I will say that my surgeon did say a lot of the same things, that it is ineffective, many people end up getting RNY or the sleeve after the band, and that surgeons are going away from doing the band anymore.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Wellness/lap-band-surgery-half-patients-complications/story?id=13187452

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/amos/4452159/Lap-Band-more-than-50-FAILURE-rate/

http://www.hungryforchange.tv/article/dangers-of-lap-band-surgery

Do you need more? You will find that more and more surgeons are not doing lap band anymore. Why would your doctor recommend it for you? Maybe because HE hasn't done his research either. LOL. Either way. Mine stopped doing it this year and mine too has "credentials above reproach."

whatever one WLS one gets (or removes to get another) or whatever,

lets just wish them luck..going back and forth with webpages and statistics solves nothing

and its kinda pointless to be honest...we all got opinions..

i like UNC and catfish likes UK, who cares??

so whoever reads my words, whatever WLS you have or about to get,

congrats and for best results, do as your doctor advises..and get well

that is what it is all about anyhow..

Carolina girl,

I was specifically asked to back up my statements so I did. I think Rosie is entitled to say whatever she wants and for everyone to be all "offended" is ridiculous. She stated true statements...it wasn't a personal jab at anyone and she deserves to be defended so I will defend her. That doesn't mean I don't wish others well, it means I think others are acting childish and ridiculous.

I think I may have my band removed. It is failing me.....

post-116888-0-92249000-1411658366_thumb.jpg

Carolina girl,

I was specifically asked to back up my statements so I did. I think Rosie is entitled to say whatever she wants and for everyone to be all "offended" is ridiculous. She stated true statements...it wasn't a personal jab at anyone and she deserves to be defended so I will defend her. That doesn't mean I don't wish others well, it means I think others are acting childish and ridiculous.

OMG jim

i am sooooo OMG in awe

you were one of the first people who friended me on this site

and you are still my hero..

whatever one WLS one gets (or removes to get another) or whatever,

lets just wish them luck..going back and forth with webpages and statistics solves nothing

and its kinda pointless to be honest...we all got opinions..

i like UNC and catfish likes UK, who cares??

so whoever reads my words, whatever WLS you have or about to get,

congrats and for best results, do as your doctor advises..and get well

that is what it is all about anyhow..

Amen to that! This isn't a freaken contest B)

A-mazing! Awesome job, Jim.

"http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Wellness/lap-band-surgery-half-patients-complications/story?id=13187452

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/amos/4452159/Lap-Band-more-than-50-FAILURE-rate/

http://www.hungryforchange.tv/article/dangers-of-lap-band-surgery

Do you need more? You will find that more and more surgeons are not doing lap band anymore. Why would your doctor recommend it for you? Maybe because HE hasn't done his research either. LOL. Either way. Mine stopped doing it this year and mine too has "credentials above reproach."

Sometimes, the doctors are not recommending the band, but it's what the patients want for themselves. That was the case with me. I researched ad nauseam, and made MY choice on what I felt best for my health, and long term options. The band is my surgeons least favorite, but he still does them. He's got plenty of VERY successful band patients, but still favors some of the more invasive procedures. It's all about choice.

Jessipug, try & keep in mind that this isn't a contest of who's doctor has the best credentials, what procedure is the best, etc. No one is slamming the sleeve. That was your choice, and I'm glad it's working out for you.....so far.

Edited by mrsto