Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What do you do about birthdays?

I'm being sleeved on October 6th and my birthday is October 20th. I spent my last birthday in hte hospital, was taken by ambulance on my birthday. This is a big birthday 60....what do you eat that's good since you can't eat birthday cake and Ice cream?

At two weeks out, I was still on a full liquid diet. What does your program call for at two weeks? If you're on liquids, you can have Greek yogurt with artificial sweetener and vanilla. This was a special treat to me at that stage. If you will have advanced to purées by that time, maybe you could make a parfait with Greek yogurt, sugar free Jello and puréed fruit?

That sounds good now, and I am almost nine months out!.

Don't forget, you can also make whipped cream out of coconut milk. Not lowfat, but for a special occasion not a bad source of calories.

Don't know what you can eat based on your program, but early happy birthday. At your 61 next year you'll be able to answer this question so much easier, and do so while shopping for that smaller size birthday outfit!

You CAN have ice cream as long as it's sugar free and sugar free Jello and pop sickles. In a couple of months you will be able to make your own cakes using stevia. Happy birthday.

Instead if making your special day about food, make it about you and your health! Go pick apples, see a play, go to a concert... Celebrations no longer center around what I'm going to stick in my face and they are much more memorable now.

This might sound silly, but maybe invest in something for yourself that you can use on your next birthday. This time next year you will certainly be down quite a lot of weight and your sleeve will probably be tolerant of just about anything you want to eat, even if it's only a few bites. Is there a really nice place you'd like to go for dinner? Buy a gift certificate this year (make sure they don't lose money in a year- most shouldn't) put it somewhere you know where it is, and really look forward to all of the things you will have to Celebrate next year. Chances are, all the food that you're sad about not getting to eat on this birthday, won't matter as much next year. Even better than a dinner gift card, maybe buy a skydiving pass or a gift card to a designer clothes store you can't shop in now or even a trip to a place where you may not have felt comfortable going before. Save that for your birthday next year and you'll get to look forward to it all this year.

I only eat chocolate for my birthday and Christmas because otherwise I will eat way too much of it. Every year I would look forward to that time and ravenously inhale chocolate. This year, I'm far more looking forward to wearing my new dress to dinner with friends, than I am about the chocolate cake I was craving last year. I'm also not worried about trying new things anymore because I don't feel like everyone is looking at how fat I am. Now I walk into designer stores and I know that most things will fit me and that the salesgirl isn't wondering what I'm doing in her store. Not getting to Celebrate your birthday with food this year just means that you will get to celebrate it with anything else you would like next year! :)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Aunty Mamo

Iʻm roughly 6 weeks post-op this morning and have begun to feel like a normal human, with a normal human body again. I started introducing solid foods and pill forms of medications/supplements a couple of weeks ago and it's really amazing to eat meals with my family again, despite the fact that my portions are so much smaller than theirs. 
      I live on the island of Oʻahu and spend a lot of time in the water- for exercise, for play,  and for spiritual & mental health. The day I had my month out appointment with my surgeon, I packed all my gear in my truck, anticipating his permission to get back in the ocean. The minute I walked out of that hospital I drove straight to the shore and got in that water. Hallelujah! My appointment was at 10 am. I didn't get home until after 5 pm. 
      I'm down 31 pounds since the day of surgery and 47 since my pre-op diet began, with that typical week long stall occurring at three weeks. I'm really starting to see some changes lately- some of my clothing is too big, some fits again. The most drastic changes I notice however are in my face. I've also noticed my endurance and flexibility increasing. I was really starting to be held up physically, and I'm so grateful that I'm seeing that turn around in such short order. 
      My general disposition lately is hopeful and motivated. The only thing that bugs me on a daily basis still is the way those supplements make my house smell. So stink! But I just bought a smell proof bag online that other people use to put their pot in. My house doesn't stink anymore. 

· 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • BeanitoDiego

Oh yeah, something I wanted to rant about, a billing dispute that cropped up 3 months ago.
      Surgery was in August of 2023. A bill shows up for over $7,000 in January. WTF? I asks myself. I know that I jumped through all of the insurance hoops and verified this and triple checked that, as did the surgeon's office. All was set, and I paid all of the known costs before surgery.
      A looong story short, is that an assistant surgeon that was in the process of accepting money from my insurance company touched me while I was under anesthesia. That is what the bill was for. But hey, guess what? Some federal legislation was enacted last year to help patients out when they cannot consent to being touched by someone out of their insurance network. These types of bills fall under something called, "surprise billing," and you don't have to put up with it.
      https://www.cms.gov/nosurprises
      I had to make a lot of phone calls to both the surgeon's office and the insurance company and explain my rights and what the maximum out of pocket costs were that I could be liable for. Also had to remind them that it isn't my place to be taking care of all of this and that I was going to escalate things if they could not play nice with one another.
      Quick ending is that I don't have to pay that $7,000+. Advocate, advocate, advocate for yourself no matter how long it takes and learn more about this law if you are ever hit with a surprise bill.
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Some days I feel like an infiltrator... I'm participating in society as a "thin" person. They have no idea that I haven't always been one of them! 🤣
      · 0 replies
    • ChunkCat

Thank you everyone for your well wishes! I totally forgot I wrote an update here... I'm one week post op today. I gained 15 lbs in water weight overnight because they had to give me tons of fluids to bring my BP up after surgery! I stayed one night in the hospital. Everything has been fine except I seem to have picked up a bug while I was there and I've been running a low grade fever, coughing, and a sore throat. So I've been hydrating well and sleeping a ton. So far the Covid tests are negative.
      I haven't been able to advance my diet past purees. Everything I eat other than tofu makes me choke and feels like trying to swallow rocks. They warned me it would get worse before it gets better, so lets hope this is all normal. I have my follow up on Monday so we'll see. Living on shakes and soup again is not fun. I had enough of them the first time!! LOL 
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Still purging all of the larger clothing. This morning, a shirt that I ADORED wearing ended up on top. Hard to let it go, but it was also hard to let go of those habits that also no longer serve my highest good. Onward and upward!
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches