Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

reflections on a Monday morning

It was so amazingly beautiful yesterday in NYC that people were going in and out of my apartment building all day. So I wasn't surprised to see a woman who lives in my building for the first time in at least several months. She was overwhelmed with my transformation...but I've actually sort of gotten used to that. But what was different was that she wasn't focused so much on my weight loss as the whole package..especially no more cane.

She told me I should write a book about my journey and that she would be the first to read it. I laughed and said something about not doing anything that was book worthy and she disagreed and said I didn't give up. That I faced my issues and did something about all of them and the results are outstanding. She then quietly said that I could have just as quickly given up same as her husband had. All I know is that he is dead, but I never knew any details. I still don't but I do have some insight now. I've had people say this to me before, that I could have just as easily gone the other way when I'd say that I had no choice but to do something drastic before I wound up in a wheelchair.

Funny how we dismiss our own achievements but can see them in others. There are so many people on this forum who I admire tremendously for turning their lives around yet I don't often see myself in that same way. I have to keep thinking about what my life was like a year ago...bed ridden and in so much pain that I was on oxycodone around the clock while waiting for my hip replacement surgery in early October. This year, I'll be in Myrtle Beach on the anniversary of my surgery with my kids and granddaughter. I'll be able to keep up with her just fine..walking along the beach and swimming in the pool, and whatever else she wants me to do with her. I owe this new life of mine to the lapband and for anyone who is as desperate as I was to change their lives, just know it can be done.

Edited by gowalking

You should be the poster adult for the Lap Band.

I totally understand what you're talking about.

Beautiful post! You got to see how she was seeing you and it turned out to be a very poignant moment. I suspect much of life is like that, that if we're able to step out and see things from another angle we get a lot of insight. It can be amazing to drop our own perspective sometimes and step into another's line of vision. And of course she's right. You didn't give up and boy is the world a better place because of that. I'm sorry she lost her husband and I suspect it was very painful for her to watch that happen and feel so helpless. As we know, no one can do it for us where health is concerned. My body, my choices -- here's to showing up for ourselves!

I got a fitbit. It wants me to walk 10,000 steps. Quite amazing to see an actual accounting for your exercise. Sine I was low on steps today, I got my walking sticks out and went for a long walk.