Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I started this journey on June 18th, 2014. I weighed in at a shocking 518. Well I left there motivated and have lost down to 459. My biggest fears are two fold. One, I'm terrified of being put to sleep. Like panic attack kinda terrified. Second, is excess skin. Any feedback or comments?

I think both of these concerns are pretty normal. However, keep in mind that it's extremely rare for anyone to die as a result of anesthesia -- especially if you are in a hospital with an anesthesiologist watching over you (unlike Joan Rivers, just for example). Those doctors have extensive training and specialization and they know how to take care of you and keep you safe! When you are getting prepped for surgery in the hospital, you can tell either your pre-op nurse or the anesthesiologist (it is standard practice to meet him or her during the pre-op prep) that you are extremely nervous about anesthesia and can they give you something to keep you calm. Of course, that is assuming that they haven't already offered you that! Usually the anesthesiologist will offer a shot of Versed or something similar because most people are very nervous about anesthesia and surgery.

As far as loose skin goes -- yes, most of us get it. I have it and I can't say I love it. But (1) I realize that even with my loose skin, my body is more attractive now -- at least to the vast majority of people and definitely to me -- than it was when I was super morbidly obese; and (2) loose skin is really only noticeable when I am both naked and standing up. There are very few people in this world who see me naked and standing up -- lovers and health care providers. And if they can't deal with it, I don't need them in my life. So far no problems! Clothes and compression undergarments can work wonders -- but I don't use the compression stuff and I think I look absolutely fine when I am dressed anyway. If you think loose skin will bother you a lot, start saving for plastic surgery -- your money will grow very quickly if you can put even a couple hundred dollars a month into the bank, or, if you are a little bit more of a risk taker, a no-load mutual fund pegged to a major stock market index.

Good luck!

What Bufflehead said. Once I was in the pre-op area the anesthesiologist was the first doctor in the room. I did not have the same fear of being put to sleep that you do, but it was nice to know that he was there for any of my questions.

As an aside he was also easy on the eyes (what, I'm married, not dead).

I'm not at my goal. I have about 85 to go. But from my high I'm down 100 lbs. Yes I have loose skin. Especially in my sides by my breasts and my inner thighs and upper arms. My stomach is last to go and not that bad. I look a lot better in clothes now. But I'm 37 and have been fat for 31 of those years. I don't know how much recovery is in the skin. We will have to see. It might shrink back a bit.

Bob, I applaud you for taking the steps necessary to restore your health. You will be given Versed to ease your nerves; every pre-op patient gets this medication unless you are allergic to it or specifically state that you don't want it. It is not just given to ease your nerves, but is a medication that causes intentional, temporary amnesia. So no worries.

Anesthesiologists work with anesthetists (CRNAs) and anesthesia assistants (AAs). The latter two are the ones that actually monitor you during your surgery, and the anesthesiologist floats between assigned OR rooms (usually 4 rooms), especially if you are in a large hospital. The anesthesiologist is typically only in the room while you are actually induced (put under general anesthesia) and when it's time to reverse the anesthesia and wake you up.

When there is someone with a very high BMI or patients with increased risks, the anesthesiologist will tend to stay in that OR room more, to provide maximum safety. They are trained for any and every emergency possible, assuming of course you are having surgery in the states. Not knocking Medical Tourism, I simply don't know anything about their practices.

You are going to be fine. Let me assure you that you are not the first person with a BMI like that, and you won't be the last. Everything is going to be great!

The loose skin.......impossible to escape from. Even if you were 18 years old and needed to lose around 200 lbs (just guessing), you would have hanging skin. The only things you can do to help are cardio and weight training. Keep your skin hydrated (internally with water), and externally with a good moisturizer. In all honesty, start saving for plastics, or do a kick-ass job of documenting through doctor appointments, the persistent problems the excess skin is causing; like repeated yeast / fungal infections, non-healing sores, chaffing etc. Some insurance companies will pay for a paniculectomy under those circumstances. Good luck to you!

Edited by BitterSweet*

I agree with the previous posters. I was like you, afraid to go under. Fear of the unknown. The assistant gave me something to calm me in the pre=op area. They will monitor you the whole time. It will be okay.

terrified of being put to sleep.

@@Bob Cook

i see B) this is your first post!!!! what took you so long?? ;)

i can tell you are a "smart cookie" making the wise decisison to have the sleeve

Surgery is in about 5 weeks (novermber 3rd)

i can relate to being scared being "put under"

you will be given the Versed to help relax you

during surgery calm down and take a nap :lol:

talk to your doc about your fear about being put to sleep

he will try and reassure you that things should go smoothly

then when you meet the anesthe........(msp) guy- ask your questions again, and he should help you too

you will have loose skin- but that can be helped with garments and stuff that OP were talking about

sure loose skin is no fun - but that can be dealt with

you will be working on losing weight

getting rid of your co-morbities like diabetes, high blood pressure, wearing a CPAP

remember the sleeve is here to assist you with losing your weight

you work with it - and it will work with you

you will always have to follow the many rules that you will be learning

not drinking for about 15 minutes before you eat

no drinking allowed while you eat

cut food in small pieces

chew thoroughly

eat slowly

do not drink for 45-60 minutes after you eat

eat Protein Protein protein first

small portions

the thing is these "rules" are basic rules that "normal" people should do too

especially drinking at least 64 oz of Water

keep coming back, reading this board

you'll see many questions and answers that will also pertain to you pre-op and post op

we love help cute newbies (i'm talking to you dude :))

you are on the road to a healthier, happier, longer life :)

who deserves it more!!!

good luck with surgery :)

speedy recovery

kathy

Edited by proudgrammy

You will be just fine!!! :)