Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Desperately need a connection here.

:mellow: HELP :mellow:

I'm 48. And I'm no newbie, but I am a Bandster who is seriously considering RNY, and have done ALL sorts of homework including self-introspection. But I haven't been on in a long time and would love some thoughts, remarks, friendship (I am not clingy) or advice. I have an apt with my PA to discuss what would be best for me (unfilled for 6 years, now at my heaviest) on October 23 or 25, ???. lol. I am 5'4", 365. I need the band out, [whatever] in. Would love some info on how that goes. My health is poor to bad. I had two knee replacements a few years back. Didn't bring me much relief. Now, I can stand alone for up to 5 minutes without screaming inside and reaching for the nearest thing to lean on and then sit down. I walk very slow and even more painfully. I use a walker sometimes, hooked up to my 24/7 supplemental oxygen to walk any short distance. I am a fighter, however, I don't want to fight this alone. I'd love a response. Please?

I am planning to have the sleeve. I have completed all my tests and am waiting for approval from voc rehab to schedule my surgery date (my insurance doesn't cover). Over the past year I have gone from 100% against surgery to eager to start my new life! I am sure that with research and consultation with your medical team you will find what works best for you. It seems like this forum is a great place for encouragement and information.

Oh you poor dear. I am having the RNY on October 13 if all goes well. I am at 220 with sleep apnea and high cholesterol. My feet and knees and back are painful but curable. I hope. I wish you the very best and will keep you in my prayers.

Hi Polly, I hope you find what you need here. I'm new and readying myself fot the RNY this next Wednesday. You have to find out what works for you, but you've been down this path before. You'll figure it out!

Polly,

You came to the right place for support!! I would be happy to answer any of your questions about RNY. I am two years post op RNY. Best decision I ever made!!

Samantha

Hi Polly

I have the revision from lapband to rny tomorrow. A bit anxious but excited too. This has to work :) Good luck on making a decision.

Being in pain is not any fun at all. And it just makes everything else seem and feel worse. I say go for it--have the surgery to replace the band (which I hear is common). Has your doctor said that losing weight will reduce the pain in your knees/joints? Or do you need knee replacements? I've never been much of a go-to-a-doctor kind of person but after having this surgery and feeling so much better, I'm fully on board! Talk to your doctor when you need to. You shouldn't be suffering in pain. I'd start with the WLS first and then see how your joints feel but you may need knee and/or hip replacements, too, if the pain doesn't go away.

Best of luck and let us know what you decide and how it goes

Hi Polly and welcome! I am scheduled for revision surgery on the 17th, if my asthma clears up. I had lapband 7 yrs ago but had many yrs of aspiration pneumonia which took a long time to figure out. I was too afraid to have bypass 7 yrs ago and am now ready to get the pneumonias gone! I too gained back a lot of weight and have a failed replacement knee. My friends call me Peg Leg because if the noise with the cane! I hope that your appt with the PA goes well. I will keep u in my thoughts. I've been there and know it's scary. You'll be fine! You have all of us behind you!

Glad you found this site ... there is so much information and support here. I am 60 and like you, at 365 lbs. I could not stand for more than 5 mins at a time (sciatica nerve) and walking was out of the question. I was miserable. The doctor and I decided on RNY gastric bypass because you lose more weight and you have a greater chance of getting rid of diabetes. I started the liquid diet a little early and lost 30 lbs and the day after tomorrow is 4 weeks post op and I have lost another 30. Feeling great ... getting into old clothes and joined a gym last week. No regrets at all, though I have had a few minor complications. About to go below 300lbs for the first time in a long time. Very excited!

If there is anything you would like to ask or just for support, send me a shout and let me know.

Hi Polly,

I hope all goes well with your appointment and you and your PA can decide your best option. I am currently waiting on approval for lapband to RNY revision surgery. My Surgeon suggested RNY for me due to all my GERD issues. I went in wanting the sleeve, but he said with all the reflux and aspirating I was having, RNY would be better for me.

My insurance advocate had put in for a surgery date of October 14th, to allow time for insurance company to review my info and give an answer, but I am hoping to get it changed to an earlier date. I was told by my insurance company that if a later date is placed on the paperwork, they would review it at a later time because it isn't a priority, but if it is put in for like a couple of weeks before a projected date, they would get to it faster.

I am so ready to get rid of this band and get back on track with my weight loss. I hate that I have gained about 40lbs back since the start of my problems two years ago, but I am not giving up on that healthy life I sought after.

Good luck to you!!!!!! And everyone else :)

Oh my goodness, people! All the LOVE ! I have been turning on the computer over and over again to see if I got any responses, but in the "mailbox" thingy up in the right corner of the page was not showing any responses, nothing. I just happened to go to my Profile and re-click on my last post to check things out, and voila! All of you! :D I thought I might have said something wrong to get me blacklisted. Thank goodness, no. Anyway, Bless you ALL for reading and responding, it made me feel alive!

I love, love, love BariatricPal, I have over 500 post's (mainly in the LapBand) , I was here before it even became BariatricPal. Wow. So much love then, and so much love now. Such a cool thing...Alex has helped countless numbers of people, and he's quite a good author too! I have one of his books, awesome.

Well, I have to go read what I wrote and I'll get back to ya asap. :D

Hi Polly and welcome! I am scheduled for revision surgery on the 17th, if my asthma clears up. I had lapband 7 yrs ago but had many yrs of aspiration pneumonia which took a long time to figure out. I was too afraid to have bypass 7 yrs ago and am now ready to get the pneumonias gone! I too gained back a lot of weight and have a failed replacement knee. My friends call me Peg Leg because if the noise with the cane! I hope that your appt with the PA goes well. I will keep u in my thoughts. I've been there and know it's scary. You'll be fine! You have all of us behind you!

Boppin,

May I ask what you mean "...if my asthma clears up." ???

Hi Polly, I too, was part of the group before it became Bariatric Pal. I have always loved the support from others and being able to offer it as well.

I just received a call from my surgeon's office and a message from the insurance company. My revision request has been approved. I am so very happy, I can hardly contain myself. I go in for my preop class this Friday and start preop diet on the 24th. I don't have an official date yet, I think they said scheduler will call me tomorrow, but it is looking like October 8th.

I hope all goes well with you and I look forward to reading more from you.

Hi Polly, I am revising from lap band to RNY on Oct 2nd. I can hardly wait, 16 days to go. I have had the lap band since 2009 and it has been an experience, to say the least. I hope you get all the answers you need from your PA.

Is that what they call going from a Band to RNY,a revision?

I've heard they can take the band out and do the RNY in one operation. Ive also heard people say they had to wait six months in between. My BMI is 61, and I have a fatty liver, I'm 'assuming' I'd be too much a risk to do the whole shebang in one surgery. But I hope NOT! I'm re-entering the world f LIFESTYLE CHANGE! and I don't feel like being without ANY pouch. I mean, even unfilld have my Band moments to keep me in check, just not often enough.

Did any of you do the revision in one visit, or did you have to wait? How'd you do?

I'm also assuming that Ill be too huge for laparascopic. Hm.