Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cardiologist visit not so good

I pretty much thought the cardiologist visit was just another in the line of prelims for surgery. I have done everything I need for insurance and got my date which is October 20th. My surgeon requires other things, so I had two left, cardiology and colonoscopy.

I knew I had a problem but I had been told it wasn't a big deal and I didn't need to see a cardiologist.

Well. The cardiologist said I have diastolic dysfunction caused by my sleep apnea and hypertension and explained to me that my heart has no trouble pumping blood out, it has a problem letting enough blood back in. Unlike my Doctor, he said the heart condition is causing the Fluid retention which is also affecting my lungs and causing breathlessness.. just as I had suspected.. having had a friend who had congestive heart failure.

Bottom line to all this is he would not pass me for surgery without a stress test which I am having next Thursday. So please keep me in your thoughts and wish me luck.

The good news is, he says the condition can improve if I lose all the weight and my sleep apnea that he called 'very severe' is treated or eliminated.

It was a shock to me. It's one thing to be told there is something going on but it's 'not a big deal but you need to lose weight' and quite another to be told by a cardiologist, 'yes you have a problem with your heart that is directly causing these symptoms' and knowing that it will worsen if action isn't taken.

Not to add more to your worries, but the anesthesiologist has to say Ok before surgery, and they are very skittish about these things.....I know from first hand experience having a cardiac history...

Be sure to bring that up with your surgeon after you get past the stress test. Don't let it go to the day of surgery for the Anesthesiologist to earn about it at the little Q&A he does just before they wheel you in....he could nix it all right there....

Edited by B-52

Thank you! I know the cardiologists report goes to my surgeon but thanks for bringing that point up!

@@shantra you want to be in the best of health, and if your not the goal is to get there. That's why your going through all these tests to have WLS.

If you have not gone for the sleep study yet, schedule one. There are ways to treat your sleep apnea that will help tremendously. It's not just about snoring, it's about getting that restful restorative sleep and enough oxygen to your body while you are sleeping. If you are not breathing which I suspect is what's happening when you sleep that can be dangerous.

My husband had this issue, long before we even thought about WLS he was falling alseep all the time we could not watch a Movie or a ball game with out him nodding off. I sent him for a sleep study, the snoring never bothered me I could probably sleep through a nuclear war, but he was not right. In the study they found that he was getting less then an hour of actual sleep and waking up hundreds of times through out the night.

They gave him a CPAP that was regulated pressure and monitored and what a huge change that made for him.

As for the cardiac stuff, don't worry the condition that you have your doc is right it will help when improve when you loose the weight. Even in the pre-op liquid diet you will lose some weight and you will be amazed at how much better your feel.

I also have/had some cardiac issues prior to surgery. I had an attack at a very young age due to rapid blood loss, I have a heart murmurer, high blood pressure and all that not so fun stuff prior to surgery. I go for a stress test every year, and it's not bad and since losing weight and being more active I am shocked as is my doctor at how much more fit I am in both a cardiac sense and a physical sense. Losing the weight was the best thing I could have done for my heart and my life. I even ran/walked/ran a 5K in June and I never thought I would be able to do that!

Good luck to you, take it all in stride get healthy!! These are the first steps to a new you! Work with your doctors follow their advice and you will do great!

Thank you! I am already on a CPAP machine, I have been for just coming up one year now. My oxygen level was dropping to 78% several times a night. I am definitely much better on it.

You gave me great encouragement with your words though so thank you again!!

I think tests by cardiologists vary depending on the doctor and patient. I am an existing cardiological patient so I just had to have my cardiologist say okay (I have a minor valve issue) and have a normal EKG... as I’ve already had numerous cardiological tests.

However, at the very least you can expect an EKG. The stress test may be reserved for those with certain risk factors.

And even at my age, and since we do have cardiac issues, I had extra testing I passed at 72. A young person like you should pass easy . If you have a minor blip like insta adventurer or I. you'll still pass. I just have return every year to see if mine progresses but I still can have my surgery.