Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

SEPTEMBER 2014 POST-OP SLEEVERS CHECKING IN!

Secrets, God bless you tomorrow! It won't be fun at all but just sip that Water and sleep all you can! sleep, sleep, sleep! Take those pain meds! You will get through it and be happy! I am down almost 30 pounds between pre op and post op. Congratulations!! :)

JCP, THANK YOU!

I am about to leave in 1/2 hour for the hospital, both frightened to the point of nausea and hoping to have the same outcome as you. I am happy for you. And your words of encouragement mean a lot to me.

I am not sure if I can post from the hospital, but I will check in with BP as soon as I return.

I was sleeved on the 15th at 5pm. I didn't get into my room until after 8pm but they did get me up and walking before I was out for the night. The next day I felt really good. I have been following the diet and walking throughout the day. Today I have walked over 4000 steps according to my fitbit. I am excited that this hasn't been as hard as I thought however, I made the mistake of getting on the scale and it's telling me that I have GAINED 7 pounds. How is this possible? Has anyone else had this problem?

Honestly, they pump us so full of fluids it's no surprise some of us "gain" weight post op. When I was being discharged the nurse literally opened up the IV line and the whole bag drained in a few minutes.

Well, tomorrow is my day - will be in surgery for my sleeve at noon. To say that I am still having second thoughts is an understatement but no matter how often I review the list of plus and minuses, the POSSIBILITY of my well controlled diabetes becoming almost no diabetes still tilts the scale to having the surgery, not to mention my sleep apnea and HBP.

Of course none of those things going away is guaranteed but I have a shot at it happening as well as the surgery helping me go the rest of the way to my weight loss.

I am tired of fighting the obesity battle, and this type will arm myself with every tool I can. I know that I will be back here tomorrow or the next day asking you all, WHY DID I DO THIS?. I am counting on you all to remind me of what I said right here tonight.

@@keepingmysecrets

Good luck! I am a week post op today (Monday) and felt the same thing pre-op! Right before I was taken to surgery, I went to the bathroom and started crying! Luckily, they gave me some really good drugs and then the walls started moving some lol! You will do great!

Today I am two weeks post op which means ... eggs AND MASHED POTATOES! I'm on the puréed stage and I'm so happy, mainly Bc all the liquids were drowning me! Does anyone have any suggestions of what they did on the puréed stage?

Also, does anyone know where I can get chewable Calcium magnesium citrate? Right now I'm taking a liquid one and every time I take it, I feel like I need to throw up. Suggestions please!

Edited by vluciano93

Today I am two weeks post op which means ... eggs AND MASHED POTATOES! I'm on the puréed stage and I'm so happy, mainly Bc all the liquids were drowning me! Does anyone have any suggestions of what they did on the puréed stage?

Also, does anyone know where I can get chewable Calcium magnesium citrate? Right now I'm taking a liquid one and every time I take it, I feel like I need to throw up. Suggestions please!

You should be able to take Tums (or generic Tums) and it will give you magnesium. I think it's caltrate but my dietitian said it's the same thing. I have a stash of Tums in every room because i had so much heartburn pre-op. I plan to just take a few of those a day and they taste good.

Did you ever think you'd be so excited for eggs and mashed potatoes?? LOL I am like 5 days post op but I can tell that food is starting to sound good again. I'm sure by the time I get to 2 weeks, I'll be as excited for some eggs.

@@lexie I was told I shouldn't take tums!! I was so excited for eggs .. I had about 3 bites, chewed it up and now it feels like it's stuck in my throat :(

I got chewable caltrate at Walmart!

Had my surgery on 9/23. I feel better each day, but the gas is going to kill me. I think my surgeon emptied the entire canister of CO2 in my belly. I had a hernia that had to be repaired before the sleeve, so I have to think I'm more sore than I would normally be. At first, while in the hospital, the doctors kept asking me if I had started to pass gas. I didn't feel like I had any but they still kept asking. Now I know why!! It got really terrible on Friday. The incisions and muscle soreness are nothing compared to the gas moving around in there. Took my gas-x and it worked great but I realized yesterday that I have to continue to take it or the gas returns. I pureed some cream of mushroom Soup and that did not agree with me at all. I think it was just too rich after having nothing but broth for two weeks before surgery. Tasted great, but my tummy didn't like it. However, I am able to drink my Protein. I found one that I actually like (Goodness Mocha from Post) but it doesn't really have enough Protein. So, I bought some plain protein and add a great big scoop to it. This puts the protein way up there and it actually tastes like a milkshake but not sickening sweet as I have found most Protein Drinks to be. Other than that, been drinking Crystal Lite. That's it.

For chewable Calcium, I take Caltrate D chewables. They have 40 mg of magnesium. Is that enough for your requirements? These are the ones my doctor said to take.

Glad for the support on this site and to have contact with others going through the same thing. Hope everyone's day today is better than yesterday!!

I use Bariatric Advantage for my 500mg calcium citrate chewables. Caramel flavor is the only one I can tolerate right now.

Responding to several questions so I won't quote anyone.

Yes, you will gain weight immediately after surgery because of the fluids with saline content. Keep your fluids simple--water or decaff tea in addition to Protein drinks. Gatorade is FULL of salt, try Vitamin Water Zero for different tastes. Be patient.

Not everyone has weight fly off, like 35 pounds in two weeks. This is especially true if you weren't morbidly obese to begin with. I've lots 9 pounds in first two weeks and Dr was fine with it. He said that long term expectations for me and my size were 2 to 4 pounds a week, but exercise would be key.

Use a free app like MyFitnessPal.com to track your food. The phone apps even have a scanner so you can just scan food barcodes to get nutritional information. That way you can make sure you're getting your Protein and Water in and watch the CARBS and SODIUM. It keeps me honest because I've had no problems eating and keeping things down. It would be so easy for me to slip into bad snacking habits.

My doc requires his patients to spend a year in a program called Weight Lose University. I'm only at the beginning. I'm down a total of 19 pounds since starting this program. Still fighting.

Edited by Pictou

Go my calcium chews at Costco...they are sugar free and what my doc recommended.

A question...do you guys have pain after you eat? I've been thinking maybe it's telling me to stop so I do...but maybe I should be feeling something before I get to that point? The pain is short lived but makes me nervous!

I had surgery last Tuesday, 9/23. Due to pain issues, I spent two nights in the hospital. Things seem to be going well. I am having difficulty getting my Protein in. I decided to focus on hydration. I can start full liquids tomorrow. I should be able to get more protein with yogurt and shakes made with milk.

I was sleeved 9/15. I stayed one night in the hospital. I was walking a few hours after surgery. No pain at all. My only issue in the hospital was the horrific headache from the pain meds. No more dilaudid ever! I've been a bit groggy since being home but that finally went away this past weekend. I've been able to drink 67 ounces of Water and about 70g of Protein a day. I go for my post op this Wed. All in all, best decision I have ever made.

Where do we find Weight Loss University?

Thanks

I was sleeved 9/15. I stayed one night in the hospital. I was walking a few hours after surgery. No pain at all. My only issue in the hospital was the horrific headache from the pain meds. No more dilaudid ever! I've been a bit groggy since being home but that finally went away this past weekend. I've been able to drink 67 ounces of Water and about 70g of Protein a day. I go for my post op this Wed. All in all, best decision I have ever made.

mindylyn, good luck at your follow up!