Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do they weigh you right before surgery

I weigh in for the last time tomorrow before insurance approval. My question is do they weigh you again before surgery, like right before or at pre op. With my insurance Aetna, I cannot gain even one pound. After insurance approval I would like to live a little before my actual surgery!

I'm sure all hospitals are different, but I'll bet most at least ask you for your weight on the intake form (mine did), and some probably make you stand on the scale. You should check with your insurance and ask if there are any circumstances where authorization could be revoked on the day of surgery. It seems like that would be extremely unfair.

I weighed in at the hospital. It was part of the vitals check up. I was shocked I had lost 5 lbs (according to their scale) .

Edited by papoose

Have you already or will you have to do a pre surgical liquid diet?

Yes... That was one of the first things they had me do when I checked into the hospital. Give them urine, change into a gown and weigh in.

I was weighed the morning of surgery. I was exactly 40 BMI. Scared me! I was 8 pounds heavier when I was approved by my insurance.

I have not heard of anyone gaining weight before surgery because of the liquid diet. My doc only did a 3 day one but I still dropped 6 pounds. Lots of people have to do 10-14 days worth. So "living it up" doesn't seem like anything people are able to do.

I was weighed the morning of surgery. I was exactly 40 BMI. Scared me! I was 8 pounds heavier when I was approved by my insurance.

I have not heard of anyone gaining weight before surgery because of the liquid diet. My doc only did a 3 day one but I still dropped 6 pounds. Lots of people have to do 10-14 days worth. So "living it up" doesn't seem like anything people are able to do.

Yep, you usually lose weight on the pre surgical diet.

I suspect that when you show up at the hospital for surgery, it will be a little too late for the insurance to pull the plug on the operation.

They do weigh you in the hospital. In part, it is to monitor you weight while you are there. After the operation they will put you on an I.V. and pump fluids into you. As a result you will leave the hospital with a few extra pounds than when you entered. This is Water weight that you will quickly shed after a few days.

I got weighed as part of vitals so they know how much anesthesia to give as well as other medications and fluids. By that time the hospital/surgeon already has the pre authorization. That weight info does not go to insurance. Besides you have to do pre op diet or at least fast since the night before so you are usually lighter than normal.

It depends on the hospital. I was weighed in at my doctor's office on Thursday, then went for preop testing on Friday where they asked for my weight, and had surgery on Tuesday where I was not weighed again until I came home and weighed myself.

I would think that once you had your approval you would be done.

Best of luck to you!

Carol

Please don't take this the wrong way, but by "live a little" I am assuming you're talking about going back to your old ways of eating, even if only for a few days, correct?

If so, isn't that counterproductive to the whole purpose of getting this surgery?

Why not keep moving along your journey and keep up the progress you've made thus far? Then you'll have less to lose after the surgery and already be ahead of the curve.

Hmmm. I also have Aetna insurance and their Clinical Policy Bulletin 0157 on their weight loss surgery policy says "no net gain". That being said, I will have to agree with winning_by_losing. After spending six months losing weight, why not keep moving forward instead of backwards. I 'm about to have my fourth of six weigh-in and am thrilled with the old eating habits that I' ve managed to break. I don't want to take a chance of regaining both the habits or the pounds.

Ok, I weighed in yesterday at doc and had lost 5 more pounds. Doc said if insurance approves me, "I'm golden" Not sure when I will hear from insurance. I will have pre-op appointment with surgeon in two weeks and probably will be will be weighed before surgery. At that point, I will have been on a two diet consisting only on surgar free carnation essentials (4 a day mixed with 1/4 c Water & 3/4 c skim milk) I will SURELY lose weight on that. I have been a Weight Watcher member since 2004, lost 60 pounds finally in 2006. I'm a very slow looser. I have continued to stay on WW and am compliant 85 percent of the time yet I continue to gain weight. My husband and I are going on a short vacation before my surgery. I would like to eat one at least one normal meal a day, no deserts, no splurging, just semi normal! I'm not planning on going in a food funeral binge! lol!

I'm fine with them weighing me for anesthesiologist, etc. I just don't want to get kicked out at the last minute because of Aetna's anal weight policies! lol!