Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric Bypass or Sleeve? Why did you choose what you chose?

After my orientation yesterday I was wondering why people chose which surgery?

I was originally thinking Bypass but then heard sleeve is the #1 service right now - still thinking bypass but curious

A lot of information to process! :)

I looked at the percentage of probable weight loss. I thought this was a great tool for that: https://www.realize.com/do-i-qualify/potential-results

Talking with my doctor he said I could start out by doing the sleeve and then revise to RNY if I wanted more results. I however only plan on having 1 surgery and making it work. I kind of think of it as choosing the best most efficient tool for myself and going in knowing you're going to give it all you've got to use it and get the best possible result you can :)

I'm also not a fan of completely removing something from my body. For me it is scarier to completely remove 80% of my stomach then reroute my intestines.

ETA: I just also wanted to state that I do not take any meds consistently so that had no baring on my choice. Also it depends on how much you have to loose. While most that I have read gives RNY a slightly higher percentage of loss, if you don't need to loose as much the amount of pounds difference between the two is going to be negligible, however, if your looking to loose 2-300+ pounds the difference in potential percentage loss will be greater (ie what was a 10lb difference for someone smaller is a 30+lb difference for someone larger).

Edited by Spring Dixie

I was signed up to get gastric bypass next month and was waiting for insurance approval. My surgeon encouraged me to switch to the sleeve while reviewing my chart. I rely on 2 meds to keep clinical depression under control. I have tried quitting the meds and failed because my depression returned full force.

The surgeon strongly thinks that I should not get gastric bypass because it will interfere with absorption of my meds. I really didn't want to switch because it meant I would have to wait another 4-6 weeks for approval from my insurance co. However, I decided to go with the sleeve because I really could understand how full absorption was important.

The sleeve is not nearly as invasive (surgery only takes 45 min.) and chance of complications are lower. Do people lose more weight with gastric bypass? I've read research articles with conflicting results. Every person is different and I think your results will depend on how much work you put into it. I know of four woman in my community who have gotten gastric bypass 2-3 years ago and three of the four put most of the weight back on. I use to think your stomach would not stretch much with gastric bypass, but it seems like I was wrong.

My surgeon recommended bypass for me because of my diabetes. It's been performed for more years than the other procedures.

I chose RNY which I had done 6/25/13. I have lost just over 205 pounds, have a normal BMI, am off all prescription medications, and I no longer suffer from debilitating knee and back pain. RNY was my choice because it is the tried and true. It has been around for decades, doctors know what works and what doesn't. They also know how it will effect me as I age (I will be 50 this year). I wanted the surgery that was going to give me the best chance of success and I believe that is RNY. I am thrilled with my outcome! Life could not be better, I could not be healthier, and I am grateful everyday for my decision to go forward with RNY.

I went in only knowing about the lapband and gastric bypass. I was told about the sleeve and it sounded great initially. Then I read about all the reflux issues being made worse and even though I don't currently suffer with reflux, I have in the past along with heartburn so that scared me. I also only want to have one surgery...

Then I found out that my insurance doesn't cover the sleeve.... So that helped me feel better about my decision.

I was set on a sleeve until I heard that heart burn issues may become worse for those who even suffer mildly.

My surgeon also recommended the RNY. He said it's the "gold standard" and has the lowest risk rate, and has the longest history.

5 months out I have no regrets. I think it was better this way because the sleeve does limit the amount of food you eat, but it does not affect what kind of food. So people like me, who have an issue with sweets, could find themselves in trouble even with the sleeve. I want a pie crust cookie really badly, but the risk of me dumping is just too great so I refrain.

I am in the same position. I am constantly debating whether to have bypass or sleeve, bypass or sleeve. I hope to receive the pluses and , if any, negatives of either one. Thanks in advance for your opinions. I have approximately 100 pounds to lose.

I chose rny because it's been around longer with long term outcomes available. I sat thru two seminars at two hospitals with two different surgeons and while they both stated they see similar weight loss in both surgeries, neither had long term studies for sleeve and could only guess at the long term success of the Sleeve.

Also, I know there are no guarantees of dumping, however, both recommended RNY for sugar addicts as the negative effect helps keep you honest. Sugar, candy, sweets, ice cream, all my downfall.

Also, I have 5 RNY friends who all are successful and a great built in resource and compelled me to do the same.

Finally, I know the sleeve can be revised to RNY, but for me it's one and done. I can't see going thru it twice and I'm lucky to have it covered by insurance, might not have that luxury again.

That's pretty much it. I do recommend sitting thru a 2nd seminar with different surgeons/hospitals, this 100% helped with my decision as I too was very torn.

Good luck!! I never felt better after I finally decided. 41 days til surgery but whose counting, lol.

My surgeon recommended bypass for me because of my diabetes. It's been performed for more years than the other procedures.

I chose RNY which I had done 6/25/13. I have lost just over 205 pounds, have a normal BMI, am off all prescription medications, and I no longer suffer from debilitating knee and back pain. RNY was my choice because it is the tried and true. It has been around for decades, doctors know what works and what doesn't. They also know how it will effect me as I age (I will be 50 this year). I wanted the surgery that was going to give me the best chance of success and I believe that is RNY. I am thrilled with my outcome! Life could not be better, I could not be healthier, and I am grateful everyday for my decision to go forward with RNY.

Hello everyone, I did a lot of research, I decided on the gastric bypass, primarily because I had a significant amount of weight to lose (200 lbs), I have a number of obesity related conditions and my age. At 66, it seem to gastric by pass provided significant weight loss and lower risk than the duodenal switch. I am scheduled for surgey Sept. 16.

Thank you for your reply and honesty.

I wanted a sleeve, but insurance won't pay for that so I spoke with my Dr. And they said bypass this the golden rule that all other surgeries take off from. So! ????

Thanks!