Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

South Suburbs of Chicago looking for mentors/friends

Hi everyone, my name is Katie and I am a dwarf. I am 3'10" and 195 lbs. YES, I know wow. I gained most of the weight after high school which was 9 years ago. It is really hard for me to work out because of my stature and mobility issues. I have had my whole spine fused. I have already had lap-band which didn't work for me due to unknown reasons. Now 2 years later, I am having Gastric Sleeve. I came to this decision due the fact that I need to lose a lot of weight and that it is permanent. I'm looking for mentors that have gone through this procedure. I would love to get recipes or ideas from them and just be there to talk to. Thanks, Katie

Hi Katie- I was sleeved August 15th and am so glad I did. The weight hasn't exactly fallen off but I figured out it's probably because I am not taking in enough calories. That's the first time I have ever had that problem! I am at the puréed stage but I get so full compared to when I was on the liquids. I wish you luck with your procedure. Do you have a date yet?

First Thank you Mary for replying to my post. And No, I do not have a date yet. I have to see the Pulmonologist first, I have an appt on the 29th. I feel like it's a lifetime away. How many calories are you taking in? And who was your doctor? May I ask how much you have lost already?

Hi Katie - as of today, I am down about 18 or 19 pounds. I increased my calories, so that seems to help. I was fine taking in about 700 calories, but I think my body thought I was starving myself, so I increased to 800 to 900 and it seems to be working, My Surgeon was Dr. Kane - he is out of Alexian Bros in Elk Grove plus he has offices in Hoffman Estates. The whole process takes time, because you have to see so many people before you can schedule, and my guy only did them every other Friday, so that's inconvenient, but what are you gonna do? We must jump through the hoops. I am just so glad I did this. It's so nice not to be hungry all the time and I really don't have cravings. I am totally off caffeine (the headache was horrible) and soda, 2 of my favorite things. I never thought I could survive without caffeine of soda- but once it's out of your system, it's easy.

Oh wow small world. I'm seeing Dr. Guske he works with Dr. Kane. I cannot wait to not feel hungry most of the day. Congrats on the weight loss. Are you going to any post-surgical meetings? I think I will end up going but it's just a long drive to Hoffman Estates for me. But I know it will be worth the drive. Caffeine and Diet Pepsi is gonna be hard to be completely off of. I have cut down a lot but I get so sleepy early in the day without the caffeine. Which hospital did you end up going to? I know someone who works at St. Alexius so I hope I can have it there. And how long was your stay? I'm just wondering if it was 2 days like they say.

Katie Where do you live? My name is Leesa abd I live in Romeoville (outside of Joliet). Was sleeved on 7/15/14 very pleased with results down 48 lbs woo hoo

Im from the chicago area myself! Looking to make an appt with dr from st Alexis as well. How long does it take to get your first consultation appt? How long before surgery date? Would love to keep in touch!

Leesa, I live in Lemont. I just got a surgery date, the 21st of this month :-)

Ollisrn76, I kind of did things backwards by accident. I had my consultation appt 1st then went to the seminar. I had to have Guske as my dr and it took about 3 weeks to get in. I don't know if it's because I'm HMO or what because at the end of the seminar, they tried to give me an appt date for the consultation and they didn't understand how I got in before doing the seminar. After everything I had to do it took about 3 months. You have the seminar, the consult, the psych, the pulmonologist, the dietician and then 15 days of their diet right before surgery. I am starting tomorrow. It maybe different for you because of insurance. You will have to check with them. I would love to keep in touch as well.

Katie

Thanks Katie! Yes, lets keep in touch! Good luck to you! Thanks so much for the info!

Good luck Katie, you will be fine and happy you had WLS

Attended the seminar today and my first consultation appt is October 29th with Dr Kane! Super excited.

I'm having my surgery November 17 at Alexian Brothers in Elk Grove. Would love to have some buddies.

I live in Romeoville, had my surgery 7/15/14. Join Myfittnesspal its great for keeping track of calories and Protein.

lwyatt55 on MFP

I am on the south side in Alsip, kind of stuck in the house due to mobility issues. I am going through ablation procedures (had one this morning) to calm down pinched nerves.......doctors are trying to delay an inevitable full lumbar fusion. I am a slow loser, but glad to be down 60+ pounds....40 to go. It is encouraging to know that there are bariatric brothers and sisters in surrounding communities. Welcome to the forum.

I was just sleeved last week at Silver Cross Hospital in New Lenox by Dr. Christopher Joyce. Great to have buddies for this journey. I love to learn from others and share what I know as well.