Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Outpatient - Gastric Sleeve Surgery

Hello,

I went to my doctor's office on Thursday, September 4th for my sleep study consultation. I was surprised when I was told that my wls will be an outpatient procedure. My question is have anyone else had the gastric sleeve surgery as an outpatient procedure. I was thinking I would be in the hospital at least a day. But I guess if all is well there is no reason for me to stay overnight.

Everything else is going well, I am just trying to maintain my weight because they doctor don't won't me to lose anymore weight right now. Even though I have 4 more months on this 6 months supervised weight loss plan. I was told that the insurance company want people to go on the 6 months plan to see if you can lose a certain amount of weight yourself. If you can then the insurance deny your wls surgery because they feel, you have the means of losing the weight on your own. I have lost about 5 lbs and my doctor don't want me to lose anymore just maintain where I am at. This is so messed up; instead of them trying to help their people the insurance company is only out for themselves; but that's the insurance company for you.

First depends on your insurance get the medical policy

Second, I had it outpatient but was till overnight. Outpatient is just less than 24 hours. Check with the doc when you will be admitted and when you will expected to go home.

I went in at 10 am

Surgery at 11 am

And home next day at 5 pm

Couple dr's in our area do it that way, good friend had hers as outpatient, three hours in recovery then home.

Heck, I found the hosp bed so uncomfortable and the interruptions so annoying I wished I were home!

Yes - I got to the hospital at 6am, had lap band removal, hernia repair, and gastric sleeve and was home on my own couch at 4:30 pm. I was so glad that I didn't have to stay!

@@Jersrose43 were you in a hospital and admitted to a room? If you were in a hospital and moved from recovery to a room I believe that is not considered outpatient. I could be wrong. It's all about the hospital being paid for that bed if they actually put you in a room.

I had an outpatient procedure with zero complications. I went in a 7am, surgery at 9:30, went to recovery and came home about 5pm. No complaints, Dr and staff was great!

Thanks everyone, I was just wondering because when I heard outpatient I kind of freaked out. The nurse told me it all depends on your insurance....for this procedure my insurance Highmark BCBS PPO has it as outpatient. I still have some months to go.....this 6 months supervised weight loss plan have my surgery date pushed back to I am thinking sometime in February 2015.

I am patiently waiting because I know if everything goes well....summer of 2014 will be my last summer for me as an overweight young lady. I am going to take full advantage of this tool once I get it. I know there's a lot of things I don't like....cream of wheat and oatmeal.....but for a healthier me I will get use to them.

@@Jersrose43 were you in a hospital and admitted to a room? If you were in a hospital and moved from recovery to a room I believe that is not considered outpatient. I could be wrong. It's all about the hospital being paid for that bed if they actually put you in a room.

Yes I was in a room and no was not inpatient.

I work in insurance and have access to my insurance billings. They billed outpatient 138 coding and I was in a room, in a bed, and it was billed as a recovery room not inpatient

Outpatient is considered a 24-72 hour stay. Some hospitals keep you in same day surgery unit that long, some send you up to a room. Depends on hospital and the type of space they have.

I just had VS surgery 2 days ago as out patient. At hospital at 5:30, surgery at 7:15, them home about 3:30 with no complications. My biggest concern was anesthesia nausea from a previous surgery but that did not happen.

I had made all plans and grocery shopped and my adult daughter was there to help as well as my husband. I felt great the first day, now I'm really sore but not enough to make me take to my bed. I'm just moving slowly.

Hi Pictou,

I am so glad to hear everything went well with your surgery. It's good to hear your surgery was outpatient and you didn't have any problems or complications. I wish you the best on your new journey