Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hiatal Hernia repair during sleeve surgery still painful on day 14

I had my gastric sleeve done on Aug. 18. During the surgery the Doc repaired a hiatal hernia as well. Anytime I drink anything I have muscle spasms from the hernia repair. It isn't too painful and only lasts a few seconds. Today I can start soft foods and made scrambled eggs. OMG, the pain from the hernia spasms were horrible. By far the worst pain I have been in since my surgery. Is this normal? I couldn't even eat the eggs it hurt so bad. Has anyone else had this problem? Is the pain from the hernia or the gastric sleeve? Will this pain go away and when? I am ready to eat something besides soup!

I'm only seven days out, but the hernia repair has been the worst part of recovery, by far. It is very painful to drink, especially at the beginning of the day. Warm tea seems to help settle it. A heating pad on my tummy helps some, too.

<p>I had my gastric sleeve done on Aug. 18. During the surgery the Doc repaired a hiatal hernia as well. Anytime I drink anything I have muscle spasms from the hernia repair. It isn't too painful and only lasts a few seconds. Today I can start soft foods and made scrambled eggs. OMG, the pain from the hernia spasms were horrible. By far the worst pain I have been in since my surgery. Is this normal? I couldn't even eat the eggs it hurt so bad. Has anyone else had this problem? Is the pain from the hernia or the gastric sleeve? Will this pain go away and when? I am ready to eat something besides soup!</p>

PurpleRose.... I feel the same way ... I posted but didn't get a lot of answers.... I tried yogurt and it was so painful across my front and back.... Is this going to pass because if not I would say I would definitely regret this.

Hi~ !! I had my sleeve and hernia repair on August 18th too! I have not had that kind of pain but I do have pain under my left clavicle with deep breathing. At times it is intense. Have you had this type of pain? Thanks.

I had my sleeve and hernia repair on April 15th. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I still had problems with the hernia repair at 2 1/2 months out. I started to feel half way normal by 3 months. My dr compared the hernia repair to a cut on your hand. While it is trying to heal, every time you move your hand, it opens the cut back up so it will take longer to heal. He said every time i would eat our drink anything, it was aggravating the hernia repair. BUT, eventually it does get better. It just really stinks for the first couple of months. The hernia gave me a lot more problems than my actual sleeve. 4 1/2 months out, I'm doing great. Down 74lbs from my surgery weight of 274. Hang in there guys!

I had a hernia repair as well. so my doctor prescribed a anti spasm medication called Levsin( not sure on the spelling). It really has helped me. Maybe you could ask your doctor about it. im 7 days post op, im still on liquids but i am able to eat greek yogurt with out too much issue as long as i take my time. takes me a lil over an hour to finish a 5 oz container

I had my gastric sleeve done on Aug. 18. During the surgery the Doc repaired a hiatal hernia as well. Anytime I drink anything I have muscle spasms from the hernia repair. It isn't too painful and only lasts a few seconds. Today I can start soft foods and made scrambled eggs. OMG, the pain from the hernia spasms were horrible. By far the worst pain I have been in since my surgery. Is this normal? I couldn't even eat the eggs it hurt so bad. Has anyone else had this problem? Is the pain from the hernia or the gastric sleeve? Will this pain go away and when? I am ready to eat something besides soup!

I am not sure how you know it is spasms from the hernia. My husband and I were both sleeved and had hiatal hernias repaired and no pain. Please call your surgeon's office and tell them your symptoms. There might be a medicine you should be on to stop the pain and spasms. I am so sorry you are feeling bad, but better to be safe about it. We pay these doctors lots of money. Call please. Feel better soon!

I had the same pain I also had hernia repair. My surgeon and Internists both told me it happens. the nerve ending have been cut an it takes a while to heal. My internists gave me a script for liquid lidocaine..it numbs all the way down, he said be very very careful bc you dont want to let the spoon tip too far in front ..by the time I got it I was able to live with the spasms they had finally eased up. every once in a while if I drink to much to fast it will bother me a lil but I have learned to drink slow. I hope you get some relief soon..:) maybe try warm teas ...but yes everyone is differant. some ppl have the spasms an some dont. I was one that my surgeon said was reacting this way. Have you called your surgeon to let him know? get feeling better :)

That must be awful! I hope there is relief. Best wishes!

Glad I read these posts. I'm having a hernia repair, surgery on the 8th:(

Don't get yourself wrkd up! Just never no you could breeze right thru..:) it doesn't happen all the time. Keep us posted!

Don't get yourself wrkd up! Just never no you could breeze right thru..:) it doesn't happen all the time. Keep us posted!

Thanks I know your right about not getting worked up and I will keep you posted! :)

@@blondebomb, that was a good tip about the liquid lidocaine. Thanks for sharing that.