Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just banded--- need HELP!

Just found this on

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/mexicanbandsters/

Just thought it may help you as well as others

fill doctors in the southeast

The info that follows was obtained in late August and early September of 2003 in my search for a fill doc. I was banded by Dr. Rumbaut in Monterrey, Mexico on August 5, 2003. I utilized Inamed’s website surgeon locator, called around and FAXed my surgical report to several. I used my zipcode (Birmingham, AL) and was given all currently approved lap-band surgeons within a 175 mile radius. I also used the zip of my hometown (Jackson, TN) which ultimately led me to the doc I chose. Even if your insurance didn’t cover banding, ask the docs about coverage for flouroscope, barium swallow and other necessary procedures because sometimes if they bill just right, I’ve heard it‘ll go through. I made sure to tell the doc/nurse that I have had no problems since banding (thought that might help persuade those on the fence about doing my fills). I asked several questions - price for fill, price for flouroscope and whether doc uses flouro or not, what other procedures the doc requires and how much they cost (barium swallow), do they offer free fix if too tight or loose within 30 days, how much experience do they have. And much like with my electronics at home, one of my biggest criteria (along with price, experience and location) is accessibility. The best computer in the world does me no good whatsoever if I can’t get anyone to help me when it malfunctions!

My choice was *Dr. Charles Morton* in Nashville (615) 832-8186 He agreed to do my fills for $150 due to easy placement of my port. He doesn’t use flouroscope and it’s done in office. I guess he might do it differently for everyone, but that’s what I was told. Shauna was my contact person. VERY nice and returned call promptly!

Dr. Barry McKernan (Woodstock, GA - 770-924-8808) does fills for those he didn’t band for $400 per fill -or- three fills for $1000. Each flouroscope is $200 extra and he requires a barium swallow prior to the first fill on people he didn’t band. That’s $250 if you’re paying out of pocket. Office staff named Kelly is very helpful.

Dr. Rick Finley’s prices are the same, though I’m not sure about the “three for $1000” deal. His office staff seemed a bit disjointed. He has an office on Peachtree Street as well as one in Woodstock that he uses once per week. (404) 688-1934

Dr. Dennis Smith in Marietta (770-928-9299) does fills for people he didn’t band ($400), but requires review of the surgical report and doesn’t use flouroscope.

Dr. Robert Miles (Birmingham) and Dr. Douglas Vanderbilt (Memorial Hospital in Chattanooga) only adjust those they banded themselves.

Drs. Steinberg & Quinones (Surgical Associates in Atlanta) continue to be impossible to reach and calls don’t get returned.

Dr. Leena Khaitan at (Emory Bariatrics in Atlanta - 404-778-5671) is new to the band so Adrianna was going to call me back. I FAXed my surgical report. I never followed-up since I found someone else.

Dr. Michael King in Oxford, Mississippi has a nice staff person named Micki who told me that he has only done 3 bands and doesn‘t feel comfortable doing follow-up for patients of other surgeons just yet.

Drs. James White & Ron Goncalves Cleveland, TN

(423) 479-1647 FAXed my surgical report and Tabitha was going to talk with the docs about it, but I went with someone else before she even called me back.

Dr. Walter Rose was impossible to reach. He’s located in Chattanooga.

Drs. Ponce, Fromm, Manaham & Paynter are located in Dalton, GA and Chattanooga, TN. They charge an arm and a leg to adjust those they didn’t band ($740). Though they have a fantastic reputation, please don’t reinforce this price gouging by using them!!!

other fill doc info

Dr. David Carroll in Jackson, Mississippi

Dr. Jeffery Caylor in Foley, Alabama (beach trip anyone?!) will do fills for those he didn’t band. Cost is $500 for first fill and $350 for all others. He gives a 30-day guarantee. I don’t think he uses flouroscope. (251) 970-1295

Dr. Allen in Louisville, KY (502) 583-8303 does fills for those he didn’t band and is recommended by Dr. Rumbaut. Cost is $250.

Dr. George Woodman in Memphis (901) 869-2000

Dr. Clark Warden in Pascagoula, MS (228) 762-3131

Drs. Booth, Bellanger & Kim in Ocean Springs, MS (228) 875-3778

Dr. Anthony Terracina in Panama City, FL

Dr. Ray Compton in Paris, TN (731) 642-2011

I just want to thank you all for sharing and caring! Your advise has been of great help to me and mostly I feel better (stress) thanks to all of you!

I emailed Don Mills from Inamed and he replied with a list of Dr.'s in my area. I was able to get through to 2 of them and they immediatley returned my calls. One Dr. would see me as a patient, but would not do fills...... the other Dr. is from Emory Clinic in Atlanta and his staff co-ordinator said I could have my records transferred from my surgeon and he would see me as a patient and do fills! What a relief to know should anything go wrong, I have someone locally. I have also been doing a lot of reading on these boards and can't believe the wealth of information available through you all!

God Bless you ALL! Thank you for your support and suggestions!

You don't know how much this has helped me. I am forever greatful.....Thanks again!

:D