Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Preop meeting had to go to

So my wife and I had to go to 2 required meetings lastnight. One of the meetings was where the dietician talks about diet expectations prior to and after surgery. The other class (don't remember what the name of the class was) was discussion group for those that had been through surgery with questions and those that had not yet had surgery that might have questions or for motivation.

We only had 3 people at the meeting that had had the surgery (all had the bypass). One of the preop people asked if they didn't mind, would they tell us how long it was they had the surgery and how much weight they had lost.

One of the women said she was a little embarrased because she was 6 weeks post surgery and had only lost 40 pounds.

Everyone told her that was great.

In my head I'm thinking that if I could lose 40 pounds in 6 weeks, I wouldn't need to worry about the surgery. Most dieticians and doctors when they put you on a diet only want you to lose 1 to 2 pounds per week. At most on a normal diet 12 pounds in 6 weeks would have been the max.

I totalling agree with you. I read these post where people say they have only lost 50 pounds in 2 or even three month since their surgery. They complain of being frustrated that the numbers are not greater. I am 27 days out and have lost 20 pounds since surgery date. Since my daughter was born almost 27 years ago I have been trying to lose weight. The most I've lost is 9 pounds and promptly gained all back. I told my doctor I hope to lose at least 10 pounds a month. I hope I do that, but I'll take 5 a month. Either way it will be 100% better than what I have tried to accomplish over the past 27 years. Heck, I'll take any downward movement of the scale.

Finediva, can I ask how old you are? I'm 53 and am concerned my age might be a downfall.

Finediva, can I ask how old you are? I'm 53 and am concerned my age might be a downfall.

Girl I turnes 53 this past May. I have resigned myself to the fact that I will not lose weight like a 25 year old. Also, I have been overweight ALL my life. I did this surgery to give myself a chance to experience what it may feel like to be a normal size and weight before I die. I feel so good about most of the aspects of my life. I just want a chance for normalcy. I'm not even looking to be the weight on the chart. I just don't want to be morbidity obese. Which is how I'm currently classified. I want to go old and be as healthy as I possibly can. You already had your surgery?

Girl I turnes 53 this past May. I have resigned myself to the fact that I will not lose weight like a 25 year old. Also, I have been overweight ALL my life. I did this surgery to give myself a chance to experience what it may feel like to be a normal size and weight before I die. I feel so good about most of the aspects of my life. I just want a chance for normalcy. I'm not even looking to be the weight on the chart. I just don't want to be morbidity

obese. Which is how I'm currently classified. I want to go

old and be as healthy as I possibly can. You already had

your surgery?

correction * turned*

It's next month, and I'm having cold feet. I too have struggled, I've been sucessful many times, but it never lasts for long, I've gone far beyond my ability to lose it now, and feel defeated. I am worried that at 53 this could be a tough go for me. It seems the younger sleevers do very well after their surgery. I'm Mexico bound on the 14th of September. I too want to get back to a life, not just living and hiding.

It's next month, and I'm having cold feet. I too have struggled, I've been sucessful many times, but it never lasts for long, I've gone far beyond my ability to lose it now, and feel defeated. I am worried that at 53 this could be a tough go for me. It seems the younger sleevers do very well after their surgery. I'm Mexico bound on the 14th of September. I too want to get back to a life,

not just living and hiding.

Tough how? Do you mean the recovery or losing the weight? There are people in their 60s having the surgery and losing the weight. I've lost 24 pounds including the pre op started on July 5th. I'm great full for every pound. Whatever you decide I wish you all the best. Make sure it's what you really want.

More in the recovery. 24 pounds is great!

Just because your old you cant state that you wont lose weight fast. I am 54 going on week 9 and today hit 70 lbs gone. This is my 1/2 way point to goal. The weight has come of in stages. There are times that I want to slow down to let my body catch up, however my brain wants to see those scale number go down. If you follow the Nuts directions the results will be amazing. The best advise I can give you is Water , water and more water.

I'm not worried about the losing weight part as much as I am about the recovery part. I can't take more than a week off work, and then I have to drive eight hours to get to work and will be in a remote location with the nearest town being over an hour drive away, that's what I'm worried about.

I'm not worried about the losing weight part as much as I am about the recovery part. I can't take more than a week off work, and then I have to drive eight hours to get to work and will be in a remote location with the nearest town being over an hour drive away, that's what I'm worried about.

You drive eight hours to work every day?!

No I drive eight hours to site, then remain there for 16 days then drive home, I then get five days off and drive back. I work in the Oil patch constructing a facility for gas for a large pipeline company, so live in a remote place for 16 days while I'm here. We stay in a camp, which is a lot like prison, but since I'm management I actually get a bathroom in my very small room. The closest town is over an hour away, and it's a small, small town!

No I drive eight hours to site, then remain there for 16 days then drive home, I then get five days off and drive back. I work in the Oil patch constructing a facility for gas for a large pipeline company, so live in a remote place for 16 days while I'm here. We stay in a camp, which is a lot like prison, but since I'm management I actually get a bathroom in my very small room. The closest town is over an hour away, and it's a small, small town!

Oh, OK. I can see why you maybe worried about the recovery. No way possible to take another week huh? Best advise would be to make sure and take every thing you need with you. Soups, shakes, Gas X strips..... see where I'm going with this. Do you have to be very physically active while at work? I was super low on energy after my surgery. Mainly because my surgeon had me on 4 ounces of Clear liquids every four hours. Basically I was drinking plain Water and broth. I could no longer handle the sugar free Jello and Popsicle. Still can't....just taste too sweet to me. I'll say one good thing that came of my surgery.. I was able to get the sugar monkey off my back!! Anything else I can answer, let me know.

Thank you, pretty sure I'll be thinking of many questions. Because I'm having it done in TJ, we are limited in our information. I know the care is exceptional, but many people that have it done in the US or Canada are equipt with a bevy of information, where it seems we're kinda left at the mercy of kind people that offer help..

Please just make sure you have the contact info for a bariatric surgeon both near your home and as close as possible to your work. Have a plan just in case you run into any complications and have to see a physician. You never know...