Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

worse day ever what is going on?

Im a lil over 2 weeks post op. Had the gastric bypass done and was on liquids for 2 weeks, with no issues or problems. Tuesday was my move to soft foods and i couldnt tolerate any soft foods at all.. wednesday i went back to liquids and today i tried one babyspoon of chili(which was on my soft foods list) and about 30 mins after i began feeling sick and like i had a brick in my pouch. I ended up throwing up and the rest of the day today since i couldnt keep even Water down due to feeling so overfull...its like horrible pain too along with the vommitting. Unsure if its gas pain but i have a hard time burping so it could be.. i chewed well and only took one small bite.. this eve i couldnt even sip my Protein or water within a few mins i felt so overfull and the need to get sick. Is this just intolerance to soft foods? Should i be worried or just see how tomorrow goes? I will def go back on liquids for a few days i dont even want real food since ive went through this. Im awale due to the stomach cramping still. Any help yall?

That sounds similar to what I went thru yesterday. I think food got "stuck" in my pouch and wasn't able to digest, so anything I tried to get down made me feel like I was going to explode. I actually wanted to throw up to relieve the pain and discomfort. I took some of the omeprizol (sp) that they prescribed and stuck to liquids all day and I feel better now. Not sure if you're going through exactly the same thing, but it's possible. If you don't feel better tomorrow, I'd call your docs office and see what they say.

What you describe is my biggest fear for post-op. I'm already planning that when my doctor tells me this or that will take about 2 weeks, or you can switch to solid foods at this time, etc.... I am automatically going to double the time frame for myself. I always off schedule for everything. After I had my gallbladder removed the surgeon said I would be "back to normal" in about a week. I wasn't... it was two weeks +;- a few days.

Thank u for responding...Even the nausea med they gave me didnt help.. sounds like maybe that 1 bite got stuck???. so will it fix itself? idk if i can bear another day like this. And worry about dehydrating..i guess if tomorrow is the same i will call them. Thank u

Yah my husband and mom think i should do liquids another week or 2... i was so excited to chew something but now idc to chew as long as this bloated pain is gone

It's possible that it is food sticking (that's what they call it at my surgeons office), but I read some other stories of people having trouble getting anything other than liquids down and it could be swelling in your pouch or even possible swelling where your esophagus meets your stomach causing that opening to be very small. It took about 24 hours for my stuck food to finally go through, so if you don't feel better soon it's probably something else. :-( hopefully, for your sake, it's not

I would encourage you to call your clinic. You could have the beginnings of a stricture which is a very common and easily corrected complication following RNY. If it is a stricture, it can continue to close to the point that you will not be able to get liquids down. This leads to dehydration, which adds another complication. Address it now before it gets to that point.

You may be fine in a couple days, but I would error on the side of caution.

I agree with Baconville on this one.

This has happened to me twice and I was admitted into the hospital both times. My medication got stuck.

You can try chewing a couple of papaya enzyme tablets that you can find at the Vitamin store. It helps to break down food.

It never worked for me,but mine was medication. I had an upper gi which showed no stricture, thank goodness.

Trying this morning if i cannot eat or drink im calling doc. Thanks yall i will keep yall posted

Doc put me back on fluids for another week or so... they pretty much think its just intolerance to soft foods at this point... thank u all im sure ill have more questions arise since im new at all this :)