Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm just wondering if anyone knows what the primary cause of nausea is after surgery? Is it mostly a reaction to anesthesia and pain meds, or is it the surgery itself that causes it? I know I react pretty well to both anesthesia and meds, I am just trying to brace myself for the days following surgery. I'm going to mentally prepare myself for feeling sick either way, I'm just curious :-)

Hi. I was sleeved on July 23. I was nauseous from the anesthesia. Zofran didn't help me but the nurse called the surgeon, he prescribed Benadryl and that was the last of the nausea.

The culprits of nausea after surgery are the anesthetic gases that you inhale during your operation and IV narcotics that are given; namely Fentanyl. The Propofol mixed with Lidocaine that is given through your IV to actually put you to sleep don't cause nausea. Tell your nurse and anesthesiologist that you get post-op nausea really badly (even if you don't) and you'll be medicated prior to surgery and during the operation to prevent nausea; post-op as well if nausea persists.

Thanks! I know that nausea is just part of the process, it is just one of my least favorite things in life. I will definitely talk to the anesthesiologist... hopefully the meds they give you are enough to prevent it from being too terrible!

The meds work great when given prophylactically instead of after the nausea has set in. The following meds should be given (barring any allergies) once you tell them you have bad post-op nausea & vomiting.

Pre-op: Decadron, Scopalamine patch, phenergan

Intra-op: Glycopyrolate, Zofran, and sometimes Reglan

Post-op (if nausea persists): Phenergan then Inapsine.

If all else fails, sometimes anesthesiologists will give a very minute amount of IV Propofol in the recovery room and the problem is solved immediately. Good luck!

i was also told by my doctor that while 80% of your stomach is gone the same amount of bile is produced. So you have a much smaller space with the same acids. I'm almost 5 months post op and still take a Pepcid once a day.

Thanks all!

I think the anesthesia and narcotics were what lead to my nausea. After the anesthesia wore off and I no longer needed the strong pain meds I didn't have nausea. One thing in the hospital that made me throw up was the liquid colace. It tasted disgusting and didn't sit well in my new sleeve. If you take it, take it very slowly and watered down if possible! Made me wretch both times I got it (OUCH!!!!). My doc gave me a Rx for Zofran at home, but I haven't had to take any :)

I was very fortunate. I never did get nauseated. I only had pain for the 2 days I was in the hospital & that was controlled with the "do it yourself" meds they give you after any surgery. From everything I've read I was pretty lucky to not be ill. I'm truly grateful for that.