Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi Sleevers!

I had a question about my recovery. I was sleeved on July 24, 2014. I was healing very nicely, with very minimal issues. All of a sudden, on day 7 post-op, I started to have horrible pain. I developed a fever of 101, which dropped to 99 by the end of the day. I had these sharp pains all over my torso, mostly under the ribs on the left side, and pain radiating to the shoulder blades. When I took in normal breaths, I would feel pain.

So the next day, my fever went away and a good part of the stabbing pains, but I am left with this sharp pain in my shoulder blades, back and still hurts a little when I breath in. I was ready to get off of my pain meds, 6 days post op, but now I am having to take them just to get through this.

One thing that worried me when I woke up from surgery, was that my upper right thigh was numb and tingling. It still tingles to this day, but slightly less than the past week. So I worried it may be a blood clot.

Most of what I feel now, feels like gas pain, but yesterday, I thought I was going to die. Has anyone felt anything like this, one week post op?

ANY help would be greatly appreciated.

Karina

Edited by KarinaVSGinTX

• It very well could be gas. My doc had me to take medication for the gas. I purchased it in Mexico. Have you tried Gas X?
you should definitely contact your doctor for advise to make sure that everything is ok especially because of the fevers

I agree....call your dr...don't take chances with your health ... good luck to you...hope you feel better soon....

<p>Hi Sleevers!</p>

<p>&nbsp;</p>

<p>I had a question about my recovery. &nbsp; I was sleeved on July 24, 2014. &nbsp;I was healing very nicely, with very minimal issues. &nbsp;All of a sudden, on day 7 post-op, I started to have horrible pain. &nbsp;I developed a fever of 101, which dropped to 99 by the end of the day. &nbsp;I had these sharp pains all over my torso, mostly under the ribs on the left side, and pain radiating to the shoulder blades. &nbsp;When I took in normal breaths, I would feel pain.</p>

<p>&nbsp;</p>

<p>So the next day, my fever went away and a good part of the stabbing pains, but I am left with this sharp pain in my shoulder blades, back and still hurts a little when I breath in. &nbsp; I was ready to get off of my pain meds, 6 days post op, but now I am having to take them just to get through this.</p>

<p>&nbsp;</p>

<p>One thing that worried me when I woke up from surgery, was that my upper right thigh was numb and tingling. &nbsp;It still tingles to this day, but slightly less than the past week. &nbsp;So I worried it may be a blood clot. &nbsp;</p>

<p>&nbsp;</p>

<p>Most of what I feel now, feels like gas pain, but yesterday, I thought I was going to die. &nbsp;Has anyone felt anything like this, one week post op?</p>

<p>&nbsp;</p>

<p>ANY help would be greatly appreciated.</p>

<p>&nbsp;</p>

<p>Karina</p>

Those are symptoms my doctor said if I had to call right away. I would call. Better to be safe. Hope you feel better soon.

Fever means infection. Call your doctor. "Horrible pain" to me would mean to go to the ER.

Get off this board and call your doc.

I agree with the others about the fever, but I did have the numbness and tingling in my right thigh for several months. My primary doctor told me it's from the surgery when they have you laying on your side. It did gradually subside and now seven months later the numbness is all gone.

Hi again!

I did want to clear up that the horrible pain and the fever went away in 24 hours. The only thing that remains is the shoulder pain and slight discomfort when I inhale. I wanted to see if anyone had the same experience and what they did. I did email my doctor though.

When my friend had her surgery, she told me that the gas pains were horrific for a few days, so I was just assuming that what I was feeling was normal.

Thanks for the Gas-X advice, I am just going to double up on the dosage, because one strip doesn't do so well.

Capecoralgrandma- you just made my day. I thought this tingling was going to be permanent. I am glad yours went away, and hopefully mine will too.

I still love my sleeve, just had a little scare there. Thanks for everyone's comments!

Karina

It was a relief to find out that I am not alone with a tingling and numb right leg! Mine is getting better, it hurt a lot for the next few days after the surgery. But it's still numb.

As to the problems with pains, etc. My surgeon said that the signs to be concerned about in the first few days were:

1. Very rapid pulse

2. Fever

3. Low blood pressure

Pain is not in the list, as you can see.

I hope you are feeling better now and that it all was gas.

sorry...im no doctor but I would want more confirmation than an email ... be safe ... make an appointment to see your doctor

Hi Karina,

I would advise giving the doc a call because your pain meds could be suppressing a fever that is present which is your body's way of fighting off infection. Additionally, the pain you are describing is likely the movement and dispersion of your gas bubble. I just got sleeved this Monday and have been in similar pain all week. Have someone pound on your back gently to help break it up. I actually had been laying with my head elevated which seemed to make my situation worse. Try laying flat on your back and don't fight the urge to burp. I warned everyone in advance that my days of being a lady when it comes to gas are over. Just Let it gOOOOOoo let it go. Good luck and update us.

Hi swtpea,

Yes, I know but my doctor is in Mexico. I will have to get a doctor here to get treated. That was my worst fear.

Thank you Gummy!

Trust me I have no issue with releasing what needs to be release, but darn it if that shoulder pain doesn't want to go. Walking, heating pads, gas-x and hot showers have been my buddies these past few days. lol

Thank you Mikhail... I wish you all the best in your healing and in your journey as well!

@@KarinaVSGinTX

So how are you feeling now?