Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why didn't I get the Rny Bypass first?

One of my preop appointments was with a gastroenterologist this past week. I have a history of heartburn and about a three years ago, had a massive episode of moderate to severe abdominal pain and uncontrollable vomiting. I was kept overnight in the local hospital for observation and had a hida scan done that next morning and later in the week an EGD. The hida showed gallbladder abnormalities, but they didn't remove it, and the EGD and showed gastritis, which I think came from that episode I had. Long story short, the gastroenterologist didn't immediately clear me for surgery, rather, I have to have another EGD and a colonoscopy in August. So, hopefully all goes well there. With me having such a history and with me having problems with reflux (I constantly take sips of pepto), I'm thinking I'm just gonna go ahead and do bypass. I ain't trying to make this junk worse, I want it better!

I would have to agree, reflux for anyone is made worse after the sleeve even a friend of mine who never had GERD has trouble with acid post-sleeve. I think it's best to just nip it in the bud the first time!

I ask myself this over and over again. I don't know who knows about my very long and extensive background with complications after complications beginning in February of 2008 with my first WLS the Lap Band and then I had a revision to Sleeve in Sept. of 2010. I'm not here to knock any surgery. Some surgeries work well with some people, and sometimes it doesn't. I'm one of those it didn't. I was told by my first bariatric surgeon that I was a good candidate for the Bypass, but I still went with the Lap Band. It seemed less invasive, and it seems like it would be my best choice. Turned out for me it wasn't. So here I am 6 years later laying up recovering from my Rny Gastric Bypass surgery. I am doing exponentially well. I do have an infection in my drainage incision, however but the antibiotics are helping with that. I am stronger than any enemy faced against me! I will always survive! :) The Gastric Bypass in only 2 weeks has worked wonders for me that YEARS of struggling with the Band and Sleeve could not. The Sleeve gave me things like weight goals, looking good in clothes and other superficial things BUT the one dream of mine was to beat my health problems. Mainly my HBP. My Uncle died at the age of 44 due to complications of it, and I was officially diagnosed with it at age 31. I was given a vision and extreme measure to help me but I was too scared to take it. The Bypass would be my saving grace. I'm only glad that I have it now. My GERD is 100% gone as of surgery day. My blood pressure has dropped so low in only 2 weeks that my regular Dr. wants me completely off but put me on 25% until we see each other again in a month. I don't feel beat up or tired which is amazing for only being 2 weeks out. I feel good, upbeat and HEALTHY... which means I am FINALLY a TRUE SUCCESS STORY. God bless everyone, and never be afraid to take any extreme measure to save your life. ETA: I'd like to say I just surpassed my 100th day sugar free as well. :D

I'm in the same boat band 2009. Sleeve 2013 now bypass in two weeks. I'm nervous and scared but the reflux is bad. How do you feel. Did you lose too much. Hair loss. How is eating sorry for so many question but it's nit easy finding people like us with second revision

I complement anyone deciding on weight loss surgery. I am in the process of being reworked up and 6 month diet monitoring(per insurance) But I would like to share some information with you that my surgeon shared with me.

If you have BMI over 35 you should not be having lap band. It will do only guarantees a certain percentage of weight loss and you must be living a semi-healthy lifestyle. Also for the gastric sleeve if you have more than 50% of body weight to loose, have gastroparesis or a diabetic. The gastric bypass is recommend for all three above will allow the max weight loss and totally erase most co-morbidies with weeks.

I hope this helps with decisions for some people. Because if your surgeon recommend the least with option to upgrade later he not working towards your best interest. (Not saying anyone on this thread is) it's just the education I have received with my surgeon (Alex Nyguen, Gainesville Ga) compared to my previous work up and surgeon is amazing. This tool for weight loss will last me my life time. I am excited. Any question you can send me a pm. Hope this help. Happy Losing.

I am still in the pre op phase but I went in to the surgeons office hoping to get the sleeve and found out that my insurance doesn't cover it. I was upset and even considered waiting until they cover in in a few years. Then I started reading on websites.... Including this one and realized quickly the the sleeper might not be the best choice. I don't have GERD or reflux but I do have diabetes and high Bp.

I am very confident in my choice to go with the bypass vs. the lap and for sure but now I am very happy that I can't get the sleeve.

I am hoping to have surgery in Sept.... I can't wait to start this new healthy journey.