Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

If I loose any more weight I will loose monthly income. Very frustrated

I just need to get a few things off my chest. I am currently unemployed and so I bring in money by donating plasma. This "donation" is paid based on your weight. When I was over 175 I would get 60 bucks a week. When I hit 174 lbs the fee lowered to 54 bucks a week. Granted 6 dollars is not that much and I was determined to get to 125 lbs (my goal). Well, now I am at the next weight cut off of 150 lbs and when I weigh in at 149 the weekly pay out is 42 bucks. So for those who are keeping track of the monthly drop (not to insult anyone but I am very frustrated) my monthly "income" will drop from 240 to 164. Granted I am getting 216 at the present and that is enough to pay the utilities but 164 is not. So.... I must decide if 150 is a weight I will be happy with until I can change my financial situation.

I am unable to work at the present due to a bad case of PTSD and I am in therapy. I have a panic attack just thinking about finding a job. My shrink just blew me off and doubled my medication. He tells me I will be able to work again but I am not so optimistic.

Sounds to me like you should find a new shrink. I've been seeing mine for 6 years now and he still says I can't work. So now I'm retired.

I've never given blood or plasma, does it hurt at all?

Have you tried another plasma donation center? I donated plasma in college to supplement my income and I was paid the same no matter how much I donated. I fluctuated right around that 150lb mark, so some weeks I'd be under it and donate less and sometimes I'd be over it and donate more, but the price I was paid was always the same.

Your story really resonates with me! I had a jobs at a few different places-- they seemed to think that, because they were paying me a salary for doing a job, they had the right to verbally abuse me. NOT! I filed lots of complaints, and the stress level was high. After the last job, I just couldn't take looking for a job again and retired. I hear you. I agree with finding another therapist. That last one wasn't good enough.

For sure find another therapist. Throwing meds is not always the best option. Why have you not applied for disability? It is something we have paid into to have for times like this. It is ridiculous to have to scrape by that close monthly that you are so stressed over it. If you can't work, then that is what disability is for, apply.

Good luck,

Colleen

I agree with what several others have suggested - seems like you should qualify for disability due to your PTSD. It's at least worth a try. And I also agree that you need a new psychiatrist - he should not just blow you off. He needs to find the right combination of medication and therapy to help you get past the trauma you experienced. That's what he was trained for. Good luck, sweet girl - I wish you all the best!

@@lark60

Are you a veteran?

The reason I ask is my mother has PTSD from non-combat related situations (harassment in the work place I think). She receives VA disability for "unemployability" due to the same thing you described. If not, perhaps one of the state/gov funded programs provides disability payment for a similar category. I don't think they usually do unless you are physically disabled or mentally unstable. If your therapist is willing to provide documentation to support your claim, you should be able to find an income supplement while seeking treatment.

Thank you all for the comments!

I am not a vet but was working for the VA at the time I was attacked by a patient. Thus the PTSD. I quit working for the VA because my supervisors would not support my request to have the violent patients (there were 3 over the course of 18 months) transferred to the Main VA campus so security could supervise them during their medical visits. I had even requested a transfer to another clinic as an option to get away from the problem but was denied the transfer, so I quit.

I do get unemployment but that will stop at the end of October. This and the plasma income are the only way I make ends meet. I am "lucky" that I do not have any bills so utilities and insurance are my only monthly expenses. I also get 189.00 for food from the gov and was granted medicaide to cover medical care (and the therapy). I never thought I would ever be living on food stamps and welfare but here I am.

I have applied for disability but have been denied. I am appealing with a lawyer and have been told this will take time to get approved. If I start working again, I am to let them know and the case will be dropped. I have no plans to work at the present and am trying to work through the PTSD with therapy.

I just found out I qualify to become an anti-D donor so once they get me through the process each of my donations will get paid on a higher scale (not sure what yet but it will be almost double what I am currently getting) So that is good news!

Oh yeah, #9granny, donating plasma is the same process as donating blood. So the only pain is a poke in the arm. The main difference is the process of separating the blood cells and returning them to you while they keep the plasma (clear fluids and proteins).

I donated while in school and once I qualified after the sleeve procedure (had to be 1 year post major surgery) I started donating again.

For me the challenge is to keep my Protein level up so I drink the 20 gm Protein shakes at least once a day and 2 times a day if my readings are low (the plasma center checks your Protein every time you donate and will defer you for a week if you drop below 6.0)

<p>I just need to get a few things off my chest. &nbsp;I am currently unemployed and so I bring in money by donating plasma. &nbsp;This "donation" is paid based on your weight. &nbsp;When I was over 175 I would get 60 bucks a week. &nbsp;When I hit 174 lbs the fee lowered to 54 bucks a week. &nbsp;Granted 6 dollars is not that much and I was determined to get to 125 lbs (my goal). &nbsp;Well, now I am at the next weight cut off of 150 lbs and when I weigh in at 149 the weekly pay out is 42 bucks. &nbsp;So for those who are keeping track of the monthly drop (not to insult anyone but I am very frustrated) my monthly "income" will drop from 240 to 164. &nbsp;Granted I am getting 216 at the present and that is enough to pay the utilities but 164 is not. &nbsp;So.... I must decide if 150 is a weight I will be happy with until I can change my financial situation.</p>

<p>&nbsp;</p>

<p>I am unable to work at the present due to a bad case of PTSD and I am in therapy. I have a panic attack just thinking about finding a job. &nbsp;My shrink just blew me off and doubled my medication. &nbsp;He tells me I will be able to work again but I am not so optimistic.</p>

If you can, find a doctor who will agree that you can't work and help you get on Disability. I have Bipolar disorder and PTSD. I can't work because of these disorders and am on SSDI. Good luck!