Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

After the surgery, I developed a serious problem with Constipation. I tried several things to resolve the problem including Probiotics, Metamucil, and laxatives; without success. The only thing that was effective was using glycerin suppositories. I just couldn’t accept inserting a suppository up my rectum every three days for the rest of my life as a viable solution. This was a serious problem. Then almost by accident I stumbled on a simple solution. I found that eating an apple or two each night before I went to bed corrected the problem. But it was important to also eat the skin of the apple. I have followed this regiment for the past 10 months and no problems.

My mother who did not have surgery also suffers from this type of problem. I suggested she eat an apple each night before bed. But she says she can't because she has false teeth and the skin gets stuck. I was at my monthly bariatric surgery support group meeting yesterday and another person said they experienced the same problem because of her false teeth. She wanted to know if I had any solution.

I thought about it and decided that perhaps one could blend the apple. I experimented today. I cut the core out of the apple and blended it with the skin to the consistency of apple sauce in my Ninja blender. I soon discovered that I needed to add a little liquid to make it blend properly - about a quarter or half cup of (no-sugar) apple juice. It seems like it might work. But since I still have my teeth, I am not able to perform a complete test.

So if you suffer from constipation and if you have false teeth and are up to an experiment - try blending an apple a day with the skin (but not the core) and let me know (1) does this type of apple sauce get stuck in your teeth and (2) does it solve your constipation problem.

And this is why old folks eat so much applesauce. :)

I eat a handful of blueberries a day. Easy on the teeth and it works really well.

i have heard about apples at bedtime. As soon as I can tolerate raw apples I will try that to give myself a break from laxatives. Thanks for reminding me.

Try cutting the apple into slicles, spray it with "I can't believe its not butter" and bake it in the microwave for a minute. Tastes like apple pie and you still get all of the benefits. You can also put a little artificial sweetner on it.

I also had these same issues before and after the band which is 3 years later. Try meds like you mentioned very little success. I've now been trying to push the Water and limit food in take. I also take me time every morning reading like now and sip a hot cup of coffee and by the grace of God it seems to be a daily success for approx 3 weeks. I think stress really us the cause at times for me. I will try your apple idea. Thxs

I've had the same problem! Almost 1 month out from surgery. The first two weeks were hell! I finally decided to take some Miracle Fiber from the Vitamin Shoppe. It's a miracle! It works instantly and is all vegetable fiber, no weird chemicals or allergens.

I use a teaspoon of chia seeds and hemp seeds on my oatmeal every morning (you can blend it into shakes too) great for "curing" Constipation and lots of other great benefits. They do have calories watch the amounts but worked wonders for me in a natural organic sorta way

I've long benefited from my own therapeutic daily dose of the Holy Shredded Wheat! Often I add a handful of in-season fresh berries, a little of this n/ that.....and mix it with hot Water. Does wonders for me.

Apples as you describe also help. No false teeth, so I carefully chomp up the core as well.

Any food source of fiber will help. By the way the fiber isn't damaged by cooking and you probably won't need the peel, so feel free to cook, blend or mash. Also "perdiem" is what they give nursing home patients to keep thing moving. It worked for my dad years ago. I use Metamucil, a great source of soluable fiber.

My nut said to have flaxseed oil, colace and benefiber everyday and it has worked for me. I even went to ER one evening cause I was in severe pain and then my nut told me what to do and thankfully I have not had any issues. Try it out!

I have done some experimentation blending apples with their skins into apple sauce to counter Constipation problems. This applies to people who have false teeth like my mom. I first experimented on myself and then after a few days with my mom. It appears to work satisfactorily.

I used a Ninja blender. I found that I had to add a small amount of juice (apple juice with no sugar added) to the apple slices or it would not blend properly. I used the single serve blender cups to turn the apples (minus the core) into apple sauce. The technique did not appear to work using the blender pitcher. It left large chunks of apples. I suspect this technique would work with other single serving blenders like the Magic Bullet.