Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm pretty excited about planking. The Mrs. Winnie-the-Pooh belly is much smaller now, but I really need to tone my core for every reason. Unlike a lot of exercises, this one is easy to do in a very short amount of time. Also I have wrist and hand problems and since this is on the forearms there is no impact at all. There are challenges that suggest twenty seconds to start on first and second days, then moving up to thirty, etc.

These images helped me a lot:

post-147841-0-21559600-1405515715_thumb.png

post-147841-0-27822300-1405515731_thumb.jpg

I think I'm at 15 seconds? But I do a straight-arm plank. Maybe I should try this variant. I wouldn't say it looks easier, but I think it might put less stress on my shoulders.

I've got to get serious about this. I've had to back off of crunches and leg lifts because of my back. I can plank. I've just been making excuses for not doing it daily...that stops this weekend.

@InfiniteButterfly this seems so much less stress on other joints -- the forearms take the brunt. I am so happy to discover this (arthritis, eeek). @@SillyAuntDi do it now -- twenty seconds! Don't even need sneakers or fitness clothes, though high heels may need to come off. Still, I can picture doing this almost anywhere. OMG, I am going to become a planking freak. I can feel it. Now to feel the muscles in my abdominal region. That would be good!

I am not positive about this, but I think the straight arm plank is the "modified" exercise, i.e. a little easier than the bent arm one. But I'd try both and see what is easier on your shoulders. Be sure to keep your butt down. (That's my problem!)

My trainer has me do these but with my forearms on the BOSU.

I am not positive about this, but I think the straight arm plank is the "modified" exercise, i.e. a little easier than the bent arm one. But I'd try both and see what is easier on your shoulders. Be sure to keep your butt down. (That's my problem!)

I'll have to try both. The yoga program I do has straight-arm planks as the standard, and the bent arm plank as the variant. Same with down-dog. Straight-arm is standard, on forearms is the variant (Dolphin pose)...it's listed as the wrist-saving variant. I've seen more non-yoga programs with the bent-arm pose listed as primary though...

Curious...

I loved planking..I felt so strong and like I could take on the world when I did them...I could hold up to 2 minutes and more...now since the new leak, abscess and drain...Have not been able to do any exercise in 2 months..Sure miss it!!!!!!!!!!

Dolphin Pose! Wow -- thanks so much. I am looking at the "how to" right now. I miss being able to do Downward Dog, etc. This hand/wrist thing is such a deterrent for yoga and now that I'm thinner I really want to be able to stretch like I used to. Love that feeling.

For beginners, it's easier to plank with your arms on a bench or chair or something stable, so that your upper body is a little higher off the floor. If planking on the floor is too hard, try doing it at an angle with the upper body higher.

I also have wrist issues so do mine on the forearms.

Planking is great! If possible get a full length mirror you can lay sideways so you can check your alignment as you do the plank.

I dislike the way the hands are placed in the picture, however...I would place my hands flat and play my fingers powerfully open, not forgetting to press the palms powerfully into the floor as I do the plank. While you are focusing on the abs, don't forget to keep you ears away from your shoulders, shoulder blades back, ends coming gently together. You can also bring your knees to the floor if needed, if it is hard on your knees use a bolster.

When coming out of the plank, keep your arms in place, and gently allow your lower stomach to come to the floor, and you create a gentle back bend that will probably feel delicious!

I will give you all one caveat to planking if you have wrist trouble or carpal tunnel do not do the straight arm plank.Use your forearms to brace you and take the pressure off the wrist. It provides the same amount of core contraction but saves the impact and compression of the nerves in the wrists.

Thanks for the images...they really show the impact of the plank. Can't wait to be cleared to do them. Only 2 1/2 weeks out at this point.

You can also do a plank in a modified push up pose - knees on the ground like you are doing a modified push up. You can work your way up to the standard plank.

I do three sets of excercises including three sets of 1 min planks (as shown in the previously posted picture) and three sets of side planks for 30 sec. Each. My trainer says when I work up to 90 sec on the regular planks, he is going to give me something new.