Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Jalil Illan with Baja Bariatrics and Omar Acosta - A Warning

Would you please PM me a link for this information? I am collecting data to turn over to the proper authorities in Mexico and this would help a great deal. I am not good at researching legal issues. Thanks!

Chelsey. You need not do this. I can assure you, this is already being done. I have more information than what has been shared on here.

The more the merrier!

All ive been told is that bariatric surgeons should have one or more of the following...

FRACS, FASMBD, FICS, SAGES, FACS after their name. Dr Illan has MD which in NZ means he is only a medical doctor. Basic surgeries only.

All ive been told is that bariatric surgeons should have one or more of the following... FRACS, FASMBD, FICS, SAGES, FACS after their name. Dr Illan has MD which in NZ means he is only a medical doctor. Basic surgeries only.

Good information. I may be incredibly stupid, but I never even gave this a thought. Checked my dr who did my sleeve here in the US. He has FACS in his title. Phew! Still debating surgery for my daughter who has to self pay. Is anyone aware if there are any surgeons in Mexico that have these credentials you list above?

All ive been told is that bariatric surgeons should have one or more of the following...

FRACS, FASMBD, FICS, SAGES, FACS after their name. Dr Illan has MD which in NZ means he is only a medical doctor. Basic surgeries only.

Can you tell me where you recieved this information from? My surgeon Dr. Kim with Kaiser is board certified and has MD after his name.

Edited by Kissifur

I will not give names. I have talked with another surgeon who has FACS next to his name.

I will not give names. I have talked with another surgeon who has FACS next to his name.

Oh okay I thought it was based on fact. I checked and every surgeon listed with Kaiser WLA had MD after their name. Maybe its different in other places or locations. I guess that is a good selling point for surgeons if you have to solicit patients.

FACS Fellow, American College of Surgeons

FRACS Fellow of Royal Australasian College of Surgeons

FASMBD. Couldn't find this

FICS Fellow of the International College of Surgeons

SAGES Society of American Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgeons (Los Angeles, CA)

Some doctors won't list all their associations. You may need to ask.

SAGES Society of American Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgeons (Los Angeles, CA)

I was able to look up those sites as well. I just found the statement that a doctor with MD could only preform "basic surgeries" a tad misleading since none of the organizations listed was a governing body.

Having those letters would of been more helpful.

Having those letters would of been more helpful.

Helpful for what?

Um for international people who are seeking a surgeon. But obviously not. I will only now send people to mexico if they really need surgery.

He is a member of places but not of international ones.

I know that these organizations' names sound impressive.

But they are not certifying or licensing organizations. Instead, they are professional associations -- which doctors may elect to join or not. Yes, they sound lovely -- and I'm sure they do add value. However, having these letters after your name mostly means you enjoy socializing with other doctors, that you may have (little p) political aspirations within your profession, and that you and your spouse would like to take a tax-deductible vacation annually at wherever these organizations hold their annual convention.

Again, I'm not dis'ing the organizations. But doctors join them voluntarily. They are not mandatory in any way. Nor are they required by any medical licensing organization. They are professional / social organizations.

These organizations are similar to the American Bar Association (for lawyers), the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (for CPAs), and the American Institute of Architects (for architects).

Edited by VSGAnn2014

I won't take offense, but I am a CPA and that is NOT an organization. Having obtained the CPA certification requires a very stringent testing process to prove competency in taxes, auditing and accounting methods, to include governmental, GAP, IFRS and other such accounting standards, and does not simply mean joining an association. On the other hand, AICPA is an association and if you are a certified public account you can belong to the association. I do belong to that association. I do indicate CPA after my name on my letterhead. Ha, I do not add AICPA after my name. Although I do include my associations in my resume under the section of organizations and associations. Very big difference for sure. If I were to seek out an accountant for high level competency, I would certainly look for one that had achieved the CPA certification. Not to say that any accountant may be able to perform the same duties, but chances are likely that a CPA has more knowledge, experience, and training.

Now that you say those letters behind a doctors name mean nothing other then associations that they belong to, as you just incorrectly stated was the case with CPA, I will call my surgeon and ask him what FACS means and what he did to get that distinction. I will get back to you with his response.