Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-Op diet mistakes

My surgery is July 14, 2014. I have been on the pre-op diet for 13 days but I cheated a little. The Protein shakes made me vomit. I drank carnation instant Breakfast 2x daily and ate a low-fat dinner like grilled chicken or salad but not everyday. Will this impede my surgery at all? I am really scared.

Hi there Dani. Different surgeons have different pre-op diets. Mine was two weeks of Protein Drinks, broth, & sugar free Jello. My surgeon stressed to me that I needed to follow this exactly, so I followed it exactly. I wasn't going to take any chances. I made a commitment to the surgery and it was important to me that I stayed 100% committed. You chose to approach it differently, your choice. I heard that some surgeons allow lean Protein. You got to tell this to your surgeon before the procedure. I heard some people here say their surgery was cancelled because they did not comply with the surgeon's diet. Good luck on your journey. The road is not easy. Stay committed.

My surgery is July 14, 2014. I have been on the pre-op diet for 13 days but I cheated a little. The Protein shakes made me vomit. I drank carnation instant Breakfast 2x daily and ate a low-fat dinner like grilled chicken or salad but not everyday. Will this impede my surgery at all? I am really scared.

I cheated ....a lot on my preop diet and I felt the same as you probably do right now. I was so nervous that my surgeon would know or ask. ...or that I would wake up from surgery and have nothing done because I had messed up the preop. None of that happened...he didn't ask...and there were not any problems. at this point I would stick to the diet 100% and follow your surgeons recommendations to the t!! I'm not saying it's ok that you/I cheated but don't worry yourself too much. The great news is despite all of my preop cheating.... I've done really good post op! I'm really hungry but more terrified of puking up the food that I shouldn't eat so this time I'm following the Dr's reccomendations 100%! Congrats on your upcoming surgery!!

My Dr. did not care what I ate on my pre-op diet....all he wanted me to do is loose X # of pounds or he would postpone the surgery, and then we would have to start all over again....

Just so happens the shake way is the quickest and easiest to drop weight fast...so I did that, but I followed my own regime...

BTW, my surgery was a Monday Morning....Friday I had my last appointment, including my final weight in.....after that, I went out and had my "Last Meal"....a favorite place where I knew once banded, I will never be able to go there again....

Then Saturday and Sunday I fasted, and good to go come Monday....

More of the same here. I followed the pre-op diet which I couldn't hardly stomach with very little variance because the surgeon insisted on it. My husband who was banded same day as me cheated a lot. Not on chips and stuff but food he still wasn't allowed. I was bothered because I was afraid he would be refused surgery as the surgeon was clear about shrinking the liver.

When we went in for the surgery they weighed us and we never heard a word about it. Regardless, bad idea to not follow doctors directions but stuff happens. Get yourself straightened out and do better. I personally would not mention it unless you have been cheating really bad with forbidden foods.

I am 22 days post op and the food choices do get much better. Hang in there. You can do it. I know you can because so many of us did and we all are suffering with eating problems.

Wishing you success!

Colleen

If you cheat, don't cheat with carb loaded foods.

Try not to cheat anymore because your surgery is in a few day's.You should be ok as long you didn't gain weight. I cheated the first 4 days with crackers and ice cream. I was scared that my liver would be to big but it wasn't. I wish you the best drink plenty Water that really helped me.

I cheated a little too! I think you will be fine. Everyone has given great advice. Just finish preop right. I personally wouldn't tell the Dr either but that's just me. Main thing with my preop was cutting out sugar and sticking to less than 5 grams per serving when eating processed foods. Best of luck to you on your upcoming surgery and the beginning of a whole new life!!!!

The reason for the pre-op liquid diet is to help shrink your liver. Your liver and stomach are close together so making your liver nice and thin will allow your surgeon better access to place the band around your stomach. When you follow a calorie restricted, low sugar, liquid diet, your liver will shrink enough to allow for a safer and quicker surgery. The purpose of the diet is not to make you lose weight, although that is often a side effect. In regards to cheating preventing you from getting the surgery - your surgeon will cancel the surgery only if you you will still have solid food in your stomach just before the surgery. In other words, if you feel like you need to cheat, stop 3 days before the surgery and you should be fine.

Words of caution: liquid diet is hard, but its additional benefit is to upstart your diet and lifestyle change. Following the surgery, you will need to stay one more week on a liquid diet, and then slowly progress toward solid foods (week 4). Without the prior prep in dieting, you may find it even harder after the procedure. Diet following the lap-band surgery is intended to get your stomach used to the band and slowly ease you into a new lifestyle.

Good luck!