Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

After seeing first hand the success I've has with my sleeve I'm excited to share that my Mom is getting her sleeve on July 29th. As she approaches her surgery date and starts the pre nutritional classes she is finding out some pretty scary stuff and quite frankly scaring the hell out of me. We've all heard the story about the guy who went through the drive thru on his way home (blah, blah, blah) and all of the fear inducing "don't over eat especially right after surgery" advice but she told me that people are experiencing organ failure after being a few years out because they're not getting enough Protein. Has anyone ever heard of this? I'm not from a medical background so maybe it's a dumb question but wouldn't someone show signs of organ failure way before experiencing this life threatening situation? I'm not good about protein intake or even calorie intake for that matter and maybe this is her "scare tactic" but I must know. I have 5 babies.....

If you are getting blood work periodically I would think there would be signs there if there was an issue long before you got to the point of organ failure, but I am not a doctor in any way shape or form.

Yes there are signs that pop up before the scary stuff. I havnt had the surgery yet but I've had Protein deficiency for years. The docs looked at my blood tests and shrugged it off. Aparenlty its not high on the worry list for them. When i started getting severe edema I made my doctor evaluate it. For me it turned out to be an immune deficiency so I had a reason for the deficiency that needed medical intervention, but it took years of me pushing to figure that out. At the time the doctors were convinced it was nutritional deficiency and they weren't worried at all. So I guess my point is that if the protein deficiency is from lack of nutrition then doctors really aren't worried. They will see it in your routine blood test and tell u to increase your intake.

This actually makes no sense. Anyone can get organ failure doe to the fact that we, as a Americans, are known to be carbaholics. It is already an epidemic that we are not getting enough Protein in our diets and that is killing most of us because we are getting high carb diets from fast and processed foods. Organ failure is showing up mostly in any statistics when you do not eat enough protein. Organ failure was not that begin the olden days because people lived off the land. The land provided them with fresh meats, fruit and vegetables without chemicals and pesticides, so no organ failure unless people were pre-disposed of it genetically. With this being said, this plan requires us to eat 60-90 grams of protein per day. If we eat our protein first, we should be fine. Keep protein powders around when you feel a shortage in your daily intake and don't let your Momma scare you! She's speaking from fear right no end possibly needs your support. Plus, there's nothing that we can do about it now, except, eat our protein. Good luck!

Sure there are those that are not going to follow the eating rules after surgery just like there are those that have other eating disorders. I have had no problems getting the Protein in with out shakes since week 2. But I do know people that have not had the surgery who dont get in enough protein.

Just remember that in America we have a great propaganda machine.....there is an enormous anti-Bariatric movement happening right now in this country and there are lots of stories and lies that are out on the media trying to discourage people from using bariatric surgery as a means to resolve obesity and restore their health .....please keep this in mind at all times when getting information like this.

Shel - stepping off the podium

Get in all your Protein, eat a balanced diet (protein, fruits, veggies, whole grains), take your Vitamins, drink plenty of Water and get annual bloodwork (including CBC, complete chem panel, Iron, Vitamin and mineral panels). You will be healthier than most Americans, even the skinny ones.

Just remember that in America we have a great propaganda machine.....there is an enormous anti-Bariatric movement happening right now in this country and there are lots of stories and lies that are out on the media trying to discourage people from using bariatric surgery as a means to resolve obesity and restore their health .....please keep this in mind at all times when getting information like this. Shel - stepping off the podium

I've seen nothing to support this.

I've seen nothing to support this.

Valid and real. Keep eyes wide open.

Valid and real. Keep eyes wide open.

Why cause you said so? Send me a link to the expert source who has the info thanks

Why cause you said so? Send me a link to the expert source who has the info thanks

I I really don't have time to debate you on this....if you don't understand propaganda we can't even begin to have balanced dialogue on the subject.

Back to our regularly scheduled program....

I I really don't have time to debate you on this....if you don't understand propaganda we can't even begin to have balanced dialogue on the subject.

Back to our regularly scheduled program....

I don't think she is trying to debate you, just looking for details. You seem very passionate about the topic and mentioned an " enormous anti-Bariatric movement happening right now in this country and there are lots of stories and lies that are out on the media trying to discourage people from using bariatric surgery". What stories? What lies? What media sources? I'm curious as well. For those contemplating surgery, it's always better to know all of the facts and to be able to distinguish them from scare tactics. It would also be helpful to know the sources of these lies so that we can better dis spell the myths we may encounter in the form of negative feedback from others. If we try to defend bariatric surgery by simply making the broad statement that this is all "propaganda" with no supporting facts or examples it doesn't make us look very credible.

Just remember that in America we have a great propaganda machine.....there is an enormous anti-Bariatric movement happening right now in this country and there are lots of stories and lies that are out on the media trying to discourage people from using bariatric surgery as a means to resolve obesity and restore their health .....please keep this in mind at all times when getting information like this.

Shel - stepping off the podium

to what purpose? you say this like its some sort of organized anti wls conspiracy. other than people with personal bias against it, what "enormous" movement do you speak of?

to the OP, if you want to remain healthy long term, follow your doctors after care plans to the very best of your ability.