Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What if I do not get my referral?

I have been thinking about having WLS done for a while now. I talked to my physician when I first decided that I wanted the surgery and he told me he was completely against WLS, but if he has to he will give me the referral. I am afraid he will back out, or not follow through with his part of the steps for me to get the WLS done. I went to a seminar on the 7th and the next day I called my physician's office and scheduled an appointment with him for the 16th of July. I am very nervous about talking to him.

If your doctor refuses to give you a referral based on his wls opinion then find another doctor and have them give the referal. There are more doctors out there that are pro wls then there is against it. Besides, you probably want a primary care physician who supports you anyways. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

It always amazes me how ignorant some doctors can be? I don't think my doc was all in on it either but he stepped back and supported me. He's average weight and I'd have to guess he's old school, eat less, eat from this stupid food pyramid and you'll lose weight Sounds like your doctor is cut from similar cloth? Maybe we can find some studies to show him that 95% of all diets fail and over 50% of WLS patients lose 60-70% of their excess weight? I'll see what I can find and you can shove it up his nose :angry:

Ditto. If your doctor is not willing to help you, then find a new doctor. He does, after all, work for YOU. I wonder - if he is against birth control will he not prescribe it? I think there's an oath or something about personal opinions. :) Good luck!

If your doctor refuses to give you a referral based on his wls opinion then find another doctor and have them give the referal. There are more doctors out there that are pro wls then there is against it. Besides, you probably want a primary care physician who supports you anyways. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Oh I also have to add... I didn't give my doctor a choice. I told her I wanted a referal and gave her the fax number for the surgeon I wanted. Don't let him bully you. It's his job to help you.

My doctor used to be heavy, but is now average weight. He was able to do it on his own. The very first time that I saw him I swore to never go back, and I found a new doctor. He had walked in the room, introduced himself, then he proceeded to ask me if I realized how overweight I was. I told him yes I was aware and that I was trying my hardest to lose some weight. He looked me straight in the eyes and asked me what I am going to do when I am 50, weigh 500 lbs and cant walk. At the time I was close to 300 lbs and I was about 23 or 24. I ended up having to go back to him because my town is somewhat limited on doctors. I think it is time to go out of town for a new doctor.

@@ambieambs, sounds like a plan! He sounds pretty overbearing to me!

My doctor was against it but I wrote this long letter to him as to why I felt it was medically necessary and that I needed a referral. He gave it to me. If he didn't I would have found another doctor.

@ Wow... how insensitive! I've kind of had the opposite experience with some doctors. When I had my sleep study done and was diagnosed with apnea, they never mentioned anything about weight -- even though I know it's a contributing factor. When I got a copy of the report for my surgeon, the last sentence in the report said "Patient counseled to lose weight." Funny, I don't remember that conversation. My primary was always willing to talk to me about weight (encouraging more exercise) but I didn't have to have a referral from him or anything, so I don't know what his opinion would have been.

I hope all goes well for you and you get the surgery you want and need.

My doctor pushed me towards WLS. She wanted me to get sleeved or bypass as her experience was that folks who needed to lose 100+ pounds were unable to with the band. Now she knows that it's absolutely do-able as I decided to get the band and have lost half my body weight.

I hope she now advises her other patients that the band is very much a viable option.

I went directly to a WL surgeon. I never consulted my primary doctor. Three months later I'm being sleeved next Friday. Check with your insurance.

My surgeon's office told me that if my primary care would not write a referral, they would refer me to someone who would. It's backwards, but there's a lot of misinformation out there. I would also see if you can go that route.

BTW, my PCP ended up signing the referral and they are "amazed" at my progress and interested in it. So maybe it will influence their future patients too.

What everyone has to remember, and it is incredibly hard to, the doctor works for you! You pay them by paying your premiums or by paying them out of pocket. I had a doctor that hummed and huh'ed about getting me into the WLS program when I finally told her it was that or I go to another doctor, her tone changed greatly. People forget that they do have a say in what goes on and what they want. I have become very vocal with my doctors about how I want to handle my healthcare and why I want this or that. Yes there is a process and procedure to follow but dont let anyone stop you due to their personal opinion on surgery. Never be afraid to be an advocate for yourself!! For every doctor that says no, there are 20 more that will say yes! I hope this helps and doesnt come off as preachy, its so not meant that way! I hope you find so much happiness and success!!!

I agree. When went to my PC for my letter of clearance, clearly she was surprised and a little put off by the fact I went out there and got a surgery date. I asked her why she never suggested WLS. I have been her patient for 13 yrs and she and I discussed my struggles at every visit. She stated I wasn't that big. I'm 230 lbs with BMI 41.

I just asked the surgeons office for a doctor that would sign the paperwork. They gave me her name and I went in for a physical and she electronically sent the letter to the surgeons office while I was there.. No hassle. I would never fight my doctor, just find one who will do it. I have had enough lectures in my life. =)