Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need AUGUST bypass buddies!

Good Luck to all my surgery date is Aug. 8 and I am so emotional I know it won't be easy but I am so looking forward to the results...looking forward to hearing from everyone....wishing you the very best, Debbie

Good luck to you as well. We all need each other's support.

Mine is scheduled for Aug 5th. I go to preop on July 28th. I TOTALLY agree that this is an emotional roller coaster. One second I am so excited then the next a feel like throwing up. So many fears. For 1 my mother died during surgery a few years ago - 2nd I dont even know what my actual surgery will be. Wanted sleeve - but due to GERD doc suggested bypass BUT have lots of scar tissue from 4 other abdominal surgeries ( tumor removal - 6ks later complete hysterectomy - few years later gall bladder and then 1 year ago twisted bowel) so he may not be able to do the bypass and would instead do the sleeve. SO it will be a surprise! I also have to stop smoking or my doc won’t do the surgery - so that is also creating havoc on my nerves! I know that I will be able to get through this and I am confident I will be a success - but it doesn’t stop the nerves from shorting out every now and then! lol

I have always been bigger than the rest of my family and friends. I was always the "big girl with the pretty face”. Hate that saying! I have always tried to hide behind laughter by making fun of myself before anyone else had the chance to do it. Outside you would never know that I am so self-conscience and insecure - but I am. I always feel judged and afraid of..what I dont know...but inside I know there is a skinnier - healthier person just waiting to get out! I can see that person in my mind and cant wait to finally meet her!

So good luck to all of us and here is to a wonderful journey we can all go on together! I am here for anyone who wants to reach out!! Lets do this!!!!!!!

Just came back from Danville Pa. Surgery set for August 18th. Bypass and hiatal hernia repair if needed. Been attending classes since November, finally got everything done I needed to do. Has anyone else had theirs done at Geisinger Medical Center? They seem very thorough and careful. The alternative was Pittsburgh, and that drive causes me anxiety attacks.

Been fat since I was a kid, lost weight in the 60's on doctor prescribed amphetimines and gained it all back and then some. Have lost 60 pounds since June 2013 when i gave up soda, chips and most other tasty fun foods. hope that this extra tool will take off the rest.

good luck and many prayers to all who are going into surgery.

Mine is scheduled for Aug 5th. I go to preop on July 28th. I TOTALLY agree that this is an emotional roller coaster. One second I am so excited then the next a feel like throwing up. So many fears. For 1 my mother died during surgery a few years ago - 2nd I dont even know what my actual surgery will be. Wanted sleeve - but due to GERD doc suggested bypass BUT have lots of scar tissue from 4 other abdominal surgeries ( tumor removal - 6ks later complete hysterectomy - few years later gall bladder and then 1 year ago twisted bowel) so he may not be able to do the bypass and would instead do the sleeve. SO it will be a surprise! I also have to stop smoking or my doc won’t do the surgery - so that is also creating havoc on my nerves! I know that I will be able to get through this and I am confident I will be a success - but it doesn’t stop the nerves from shorting out every now and then! lol

I have always been bigger than the rest of my family and friends. I was always the "big girl with the pretty face”. Hate that saying! I have always tried to hide behind laughter by making fun of myself before anyone else had the chance to do it. Outside you would never know that I am so self-conscience and insecure - but I am. I always feel judged and afraid of..what I dont know...but inside I know there is a skinnier - healthier person just waiting to get out! I can see that person in my mind and cant wait to finally meet her!

So good luck to all of us and here is to a wonderful journey we can all go on together! I am here for anyone who wants to reach out!! Lets do this!!!!!!!

So, looking foward to doing this!!!!! My date is also set for the 5th of August.

I've been the insecure one too. Many times in fact. Been there, done that with the jokes about myself before someone else could do it.

Good luck to you in your journey. You will be in my prayers. We have 21 days left as of today!!!!!

How old are all you ladies? I'm 21 and am scheduled on August 1st for a revision from a sleeve to a bypass. I had a sleeve in 2012, when I woke up I had a stricture and that began the long journey that has gotten me here. They dilated through endoscopy's a dozen times, I've been hospitalized, on and off Lortab since 2012 and the big kicker..I haven't eaten solid food since going into surgery in 2012! Now, the reflux is so bad that my esophagus is eroding around the stricture and we are talking about the risk of esophageal cancer if I don't get this taken care of. Also, it's getting worse very quickly! So, I'm all set for a revision on the 1st and I'm very hopeful that this will fix my pain, I'm crossing my fingers! I feel like I've already had enough bad luck, maybe it's time for some good luck (knocking on wood). I'm a full time nursing student and have barely stayed afloat in school because of all the hospitalizations, the narcotics, Protein and Vitamin deficiency causing zero energy, and then just the overall pain and how it affects your mind and body. I'm SO ready to start healing!

I have a lot of support from my wonderful fiance, my mom who as always been my best friend and biggest cheerleader, and my soon to be mother-in-law plus the many prayers I get from all of you guys. If you have any Vitamin or Protein questions feel free to let me know, I've been there done that.

I have my own thread that posts my long journey from sleeve to bypass but I'll keep you August bypassers updated here too. I'm praying for smooth recovery for all of you and I'm especially praying for a bypass for you @@Roostertail2 because the GERD will get significantly worse if you get a sleeve, I know very well from personal experience.

Oh and as far as pre-op diet, my surgeon likes 3 days all Clear liquids so that's what I'll do at the end of July for him.

Edited by Beckyyb93

How old are all you ladies? I'm 21 and am scheduled on August 1st for a revision from a sleeve to a bypass. I had a sleeve in 2012, when I woke up I had a stricture and that began the long journey that has gotten me here. They dilated through endoscopy's a dozen times, I've been hospitalized, on and off Lortab since 2012 and the big kicker..I haven't eaten solid food since going into surgery in 2012! Now, the reflux is so bad that my esophagus is eroding around the stricture and we are talking about the risk of esophageal cancer if I don't get this taken care of. Also, it's getting worse very quickly! So, I'm all set for a revision on the 1st and I'm very hopeful that this will fix my pain, I'm crossing my fingers! I feel like I've already had enough bad luck, maybe it's time for some good luck (knocking on wood). I'm a full time nursing student and have barely stayed afloat in school because of all the hospitalizations, the narcotics, Protein and Vitamin deficiency causing zero energy, and then just the overall pain and how it affects your mind and body. I'm SO ready to start healing!

I have a lot of support from my wonderful fiance, my mom who as always been my best friend and biggest cheerleader, and my soon to be mother-in-law plus the many prayers I get from all of you guys. If you have any Vitamin or Protein questions feel free to let me know, I've been there done that.

I have my own thread that posts my long journey from sleeve to bypass but I'll keep you August bypassers updated here too. I'm praying for smooth recovery for all of you and I'm especially praying for a bypass for you @@Roostertail2 because the GERD will get significantly worse if you get a sleeve, I know very well from personal experience.

Oh and as far as pre-op diet, my surgeon likes 3 days all Clear liquids so that's what I'll do at the end of July for him.

Oh my! I am so sorry for your experience. :( What a trooper you are! I'll be following & keeping you in my prayers for a new beginning! ,

I'm 42 & I have some Barretts if you're familiar...only I'm going straight to bypass...no trying the sleeve here (I dont think my doc would do it anyway because of it). Still very nervous!

Oh and as far as pre-op diet, my surgeon likes 3 days all Clear Liquids so that's what I'll do at the end of July for him.

Oh my! I am so sorry for your experience. :( What a trooper you are! I'll be following & keeping you in my prayers for a new beginning! ,

I'm 42 & I have some Barretts if you're familiar...only I'm going straight to bypass...no trying the sleeve here (I dont think my doc would do it anyway because of it). Still very nervous!

Yes, Barret's was what would come first then as I'm sure you know esophageal cancer follows. We are revising to the bypass to nip it in the bud and hopefully avoid both! I'm very very glad you are going straight to the bypass because the sleeve is what caused this for me. My esophagus was 100% healthy before getting the sleeve then it just got worse and worse. I don't recommend the sleeve to anyone with severe reflux because it made mine ten times worse. I'm wishing you tons of luck, my surgeon said bypass is a treatment for Barret's and my approval went right through since it was for medical necessity instead of morbid obesity. I'm hoping this will fix both of our problems!!

Also have reflux here, have had for years. Surgeon says the bypass will hopefully kill it for good. My asthma probably is related to acid eroding my lungs. I also use inhaled steroids and this makes it harder to keep my throat and esophagus healthy, Have been on glocuphage for diabets over 15 years and just the weight I have lost so far has allowed me to stop taking it. Last A1c was 5.5 . Yay for me.

oh yeah, I am 63 years old

Also have reflux here, have had for years. Surgeon says the bypass will hopefully kill it for good. My asthma probably is related to acid eroding my lungs. I also use inhaled steroids and this makes it harder to keep my throat and esophagus healthy, Have been on glocuphage for diabets over 15 years and just the weight I have lost so far has allowed me to stop taking it. Last A1c was 5.5 . Yay for me.

oh yeah, I am 63 years old

We all have similarities :) my surgeon also says that the one thing he can guarantee is from the moment I wake up from surgery...the acid will be gone! I also have esophageal spasms that I take a lot of medication for (also happened post-sleeve) so we are hoping the change in anatomy of my stomach plus the acid stopping will let my stricture heal enough to the point that it won't spasm. I'd love to get off all these meds I take for the complications, I signed up to get more healthy not to get more sick but I try not to think of it that way because all that does it make me upset. I'm trying to be all positive and be as excited as I can about a second surgery that I never really wanted because I'm hopeful it will fix my problems and if it does, all of this will be worth it in the end.

Reflux sucks!! We will kick it's butt :)

We all have similarities :) my surgeon also says that the one thing he can guarantee is from the moment I wake up from surgery...the acid will be gone! I also have esophageal spasms that I take a lot of medication for (also happened post-sleeve) so we are hoping the change in anatomy of my stomach plus the acid stopping will let my stricture heal enough to the point that it won't spasm. I'd love to get off all these meds I take for the complications, I signed up to get more healthy not to get more sick but I try not to think of it that way because all that does it make me upset. I'm trying to be all positive and be as excited as I can about a second surgery that I never really wanted because I'm hopeful it will fix my problems and if it does, all of this will be worth it in the end.

You know the strange part is I never even realized I had reflux so badly. I mean there have been a few nasty belches (sorry for detail) but other than that...had no symptoms. I should've listened to my body more maybe? I don't know.

You know the strange part is I never even realized I had reflux so badly. I mean there have been a few nasty belches (sorry for detail) but other than that...had no symptoms. I should've listened to my body more maybe? I don't know.

Hmm, I don't know. I feel my reflux all the time and I have the spasms which generally happen when I'm swallowing food and when it hits that stricture it just comes straight back up into my throat..yuck :( if I miss even one dose of Nexium I don't eat at all, same goes for my Calcium channel blocker for the spasms. I barely scrape by with them and can't function at all without them.

Oh wow...I'm so sorry...that can't be fun!

I am 46 - will be 47 in November...

21 - WOW thats a lot of issues for someone so young. I pray that everything goes well with the revision Beckyy93! Your story is exactly what I am afraid of!

Thank you girls for all the support and kind words! I am really young and that's why I'm going to fight this until I get some relief! I am worried about you Roostertail2 I just hope like heck he can do the bypass because my story is scary and I'm praying that by telling my story I will be able to help somebody else. My surgeon didn't even mention reflux problems before the sleeve and he was treating me for GERD. My soon to be mother in law is a case manager and wants me to sue him for not telling me the risks of the reflux after surgery but I don't want money, I just want to be fixed! His partner is the one doing the revision so I'm crossing my fingers that this is going to work out for me.

Are you guys doing good preparing for surgery? Have you picked out a few Protein shakes or gotten any samples to try post-op? I'm sure you guys have heard that your taste buds change so I don't suggest loading up on Protein until you know what you can handle; though having some staples like chocolate and vanilla is a good idea. I also used GasX strips after surgery and they helped so much with the horrible gas pains that we will all have when we wake up. I also used Biotene mouth spray because the first night your mouth will be so dry and you can't have any liquids until the next morning. I used the mouth spray liberally and it helped me stay satisfied. Your throat is already going to hurt from the anesthesia and it just feels nice to have some moisture in there. Obviously you guys have to do what works for you, those are just some tips that helped me last time :)