Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need AUGUST bypass buddies!

Hi I'm 49, almost 50. I'm 5'4" and weigh 287 lbs. I'm down from 303 lbs. The most I've ever weighed is 305 lbs. I am a care giver. I have two children with serious illnesses and both are doing so well. In fact, they've both outlived their diagnosis. About 2 years ago, another one of my children was diagnosed with cancer. She had two surgeries and a year of chemo. She is currently in remission. Praise God!

I have always been overweight. I was a fat baby, a fat child, a fat teenager and a fat adult. I have good self-esteem, but have health problems. Diabetes, sleep apnea, high blood pressure, you know, the typical stuff with being obese. Now that everyone is doing well and I have more time for myself, I decided to do the R&Y. Initially I wanted the sleeve. My insurance just approved the surgery on January 1st this year. I was ready. The problem was that my insurance didn't cover the surgical facility. After several months, they decided to allow me to have the surgery after July 1st. While I was waiting for this magical date, I did all of the preliminary stuff. I was ready and waiting for approval and got it last week. I am not nervous about the surgery. I am more nervous about gaining the weight back. I know so many who have done this. I'm really determined to not allow this to happen. I'm motivated! I'm pumped! Just struggling with eating the things I won't be able to in the future, now. Man, I'm craving everything! I only have to do the liquid thing the day before the surgery. But I'm thinking that maybe I should start now. Just don't know what to do.

In the meantime, I'm trying to clean out my closets, my drawers, etc. I want to make room for new skinny clothes. I hope to surprise my parents and siblings next year. I'm not going to tell them. My dream for years is to get off the airplane and have them not recognize me. I'm so excited for this that I can't wait! August 5th can't come fast enough!!!

I'm 53, and tomorrow I find out if I can move forward with the RNY. I've done sleep studies and EKGs and ultrasounds and pulmonary testing and psych eval and bloodwork. I've had one appointment with my NUT and tomorrow is the second one. I meet with the director of bariatric surgery tomorrow as well. I'm hoping that I get my insurance approval and my surgery date tomorrow, but I really don't know. The "not knowing" is really driving me nuts!

I'm trying out different Protein Drinks and trying to get into a routine of exercise. I bought a scale finally, and am losing a little weight, which is exactly what my NUT recommended...hold steady or lose just a little. I'm on the borderline for approval on the weight, but since sleep apnea has been diagnosed, I have a medical reason to have the surgery, so I'm not really worried about losing too much weight and losing approval.

So let's hope that I get approved, and get my date. Hoping for late August!

That's awesome. Been doing the liquid diet since Tuesday and haven't lost a thing!!! Very frustrating.

So, I'm 33. I am 305 lbs. What about yourself? It is nice to have someone to go through this with. I don't know about you, but some days I feel like I'm alone in this journey even though I have people that are supportive. I guess it's because the people that are supportive don't really understand what we actually have to go through physically or emotionally when we decide to make this journey.

I'm 36 (5'3) and just got down to 301 from 333 on my pre-surgery diet. My surgery is scheduled on the 18th of August!

Good luck!!!! Hope everythino works out for you. It definitely is a process that will teach you patience. Lol

I'm 53, and tomorrow I find out if I can move forward with the RNY. I've done sleep studies and EKGs and ultrasounds and pulmonary testing and psych eval and bloodwork. I've had one appointment with my NUT and tomorrow is the second one. I meet with the director of bariatric surgery tomorrow as well. I'm hoping that I get my insurance approval and my surgery date tomorrow, but I really don't know. The "not knowing" is really driving me nuts!

I'm trying out different Protein drinks and trying to get into a routine of exercise. I bought a scale finally, and am losing a little weight, which is exactly what my NUT recommended...hold steady or lose just a little. I'm on the borderline for approval on the weight, but since sleep apnea has been diagnosed, I have a medical reason to have the surgery, so I'm not really worried about losing too much weight and losing approval.

So let's hope that I get approved, and get my date. Hoping for late August!

Can you spread the shakes out? Like drink a little bit every 30 minutes just to help with the hunger.

I have to do shakes up until surgery. They want me to use the shakes they have because they have all the Vitamins etc... But I don't think I'll make it with them. I may sneak in a few of mine that are much better. I think the nausea is that my stomach is really empty and growling all the time. I keep drinking Water to try and soothe it.

YES! Most definitely you should do this before and after surgery..it helps with hunger and it allows you to get your needed Protein in post-op when your tummy is too small to have it all at once.

well I made it thru the weekend! Yesterday seemed like a turning point. No nausea, no stomach growling, yay! Best part is I stepped on the scale this morning and am down 5 lbs since last Wednesday, not even a week! Woo Hoo!!

That is awesome! Glad to hear that things are going better for you. You can do this!!!!

Can you spread the shakes out? Like drink a little bit every 30 minutes just to help with the hunger.

I have to do shakes up until surgery. They want me to use the shakes they have because they have all the Vitamins etc... But I don't think I'll make it with them. I may sneak in a few of mine that are much better. I think the nausea is that my stomach is really empty and growling all the time. I keep drinking Water to try and soothe it.

YES! Most definitely you should do this before and after surgery..it helps with hunger and it allows you to get your needed Protein in post-op when your tummy is too small to have it all at once.

well I made it thru the weekend! Yesterday seemed like a turning point. No nausea, no stomach growling, yay! Best part is I stepped on the scale this morning and am down 5 lbs since last Wednesday, not even a week! Woo Hoo!!

<p>Hi I'm 49, almost 50. I'm 5'4" and weigh 287 lbs. I'm down from 303 lbs. The most I've ever weighed is 305 lbs. I am a care giver. I have two children with serious illnesses and both are doing so well. In fact, they've both outlived their diagnosis. About 2 years ago, another one of my children was diagnosed with cancer. She had two surgeries and a year of chemo. She is currently in remission. Praise God! </p> <p> </p> <p>I have always been overweight. I was a fat baby, a fat child, a fat teenager and a fat adult. I have good self-esteem, but have health problems. Diabetes, sleep apnea, high blood pressure, you know, the typical stuff with being obese. Now that everyone is doing well and I have more time for myself, I decided to do the R&Y. Initially I wanted the sleeve. My insurance just approved the surgery on January 1st this year. I was ready. The problem was that my insurance didn't cover the surgical facility. After several months, they decided to allow me to have the surgery after July 1st. While I was waiting for this magical date, I did all of the preliminary stuff. I was ready and waiting for approval and got it last week. I am not nervous about the surgery. I am more nervous about gaining the weight back. I know so many who have done this. I'm really determined to not allow this to happen. I'm motivated! I'm pumped! Just struggling with eating the things I won't be able to in the future, now. Man, I'm craving everything! I only have to do the liquid thing the day before the surgery. But I'm thinking that maybe I should start now. Just don't know what to do. </p> <p> </p> <p>In the meantime, I'm trying to clean out my closets, my drawers, etc. I want to make room for new skinny clothes. I hope to surprise my parents and siblings next year. I'm not going to tell them. My dream for years is to get off the airplane and have them not recognize me. I'm so excited for this that I can't wait! August 5th can't come fast enough!!! </p>

I am 64. I had lap band 6 1/2 yrs ago and went from 292 to 172. Then all the trouble started with pneumonias, etc. all the Fluid came out of the band but the illnesses continued and worse. I am now 235 and 5' 4" . I know EXACTLY what you mean. Surgery and recovery don't worry me. Gaining all the weight back does !! Twice in my life I have lost over 100 lbs. and gained it back, or at least mist of it. I just can't go through that again. I am so proud if all of us. This is just a tool, we're told. If we stick together and use each other we CAN do it. I need to share tough times not just successes... Does anyone else have that "keep your troubles to yourself !" mantra from childhood? I have been eating like crazy like I'm about to head out on a death march .. This has got to stop. I have 1 week of preop diet. Surgery on the 20th. Thanks for listening!

I start my pre-op tomorrow for surgery on Friday and I have decided that I'm going to eat steak..I haven't had it since my sleeve in 2012 (can't eat anything solid) and there is a chance that you may never tolerate red meat after the bypass so I'm going to have two bites and prepare my pain medicine. Hopefully I don't die, it will be really soft steak and by gosh I'm going to do it in case I can never have it again.

Tomorrow it begins, I'm already having weird dreams about it..tis going to be a long week but I'll manage :)

Boppin' Bubbe, I'm so happy you're able to do the surgery. I have been pigging out for a week or so. All of the sudden, I just wanted everything. I've been eating with no abandon and when I stepped on the scale this morning, I was horrified to find that I had gained so much weight. Now I weigh right at 300 lbs. I am so disappointed with myself. I am determined that I will get back down before surgery. I've decided to start a liquid diet now. My doctor only requires it the day before surgery, but I need to get a handle on this now!

I am 64. I had lap band 6 1/2 yrs ago and went from 292 to 172. Then all the trouble started with pneumonias, etc. all the Fluid came out of the band but the illnesses continued and worse. I am now 235 and 5' 4" . I know EXACTLY what you mean. Surgery and recovery don't worry me. Gaining all the weight back does !! Twice in my life I have lost over 100 lbs. and gained it back, or at least mist of it. I just can't go through that again. I am so proud if all of us. This is just a tool, we're told. If we stick together and use each other we CAN do it. I need to share tough times not just successes... Does anyone else have that "keep your troubles to yourself !" mantra from childhood? I have been eating like crazy like I'm about to head out on a death march .. This has got to stop. I have 1 week of preop diet. Surgery on the 20th. Thanks for listening!

My date is August 14 or 15 I'm so excited[/quote

Woo Hoo! When do you start your pre-op? I'll be watching you since you are 5-6 days ahead of me!

I started this journey in April and I wanted to get all my requirements out of the way and all I had to do was the six-month dr visits to check my weight and bmi and this month the six-month requirements dr visits was removed here in nc so it help me out big time my next appointment is August 12th I will find out more then im so happy : )

I have my surgery scheduled for August1. I'm trying to find people in my age group...53...to help me with support. New to the forum but I will be your August buddy.

Hey keep us posted on your out come i will be here waiting to read you post : )

Best wishes to all of you who are are having surgery this week!!!